Change those alarm remote batteries! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Change those alarm remote batteries!

Almost got stranded.
Yesterday while riding my primary remote would not deactivate the alarm immobilizer, right away. I thought I might have been in an RF interferance field or something. Held it real close and it deactivated on the second try.
Today It would not do it at all. I got my second fob and it worked. Then going to lunch I had to hold it real close again. First one did'nt work the second one flakey. BMW dealer didn't have a battery but Radio Shack did. Whew. I have a 2003 and the manual says change them every 2 or 3 years. Lucky I had my backup, but my backup was not reliable either.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 7:16 pm

If it happens again just pull the horn circuit fuse and it will start as if there wasn't a alarm system........

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 6:51 am

Craig, that´s interesting. Thanks.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:17 am
esa

It would be helpful to me if you would post the specifics of the battery size. Also, how did you get a second fob?
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Craig,
I see from this
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/down...h_id=8174?Cat=
that the fuse also applies to the brake lights.
I presume you meant that it was just a matter of unplugging and then plugging back in again.
Thanks,
Simon
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 8:03 pm

Simon: That is correct.. It might be taking a chance but it will start, and get you home or to a store to buy a new battery. Just what your rear end till you get to where you need too be...... Found this out by accident. Bike was in shop and I forgot to leave alarm fob. Got the bike back and found it did not have a horn heading home from Hollywood BMW. After getting home I realized the LED was not on and I did not need the fob to start it. So the tech pulled the fuse to do the work he needed to do and fogot to replace the fuse......USE FOR EMERGENCY ONLY!!!!!!!!!

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34° 14’ 12.63 N
119° 01’ 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 1:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa
It would be helpful to me if you would post the specifics of the battery size. Also, how did you get a second fob?
Second fob came with the bike. Battey size listed in the manual. It was something like CR2303, I'd have to look it up in the manual again. With the new batteries, I can toggle the alarm from across the street. Was having fun with people in Chagrin Falls tonight.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:33 am

Craig,
That was a dangerous situation the dealer left you in !.
I once left the dealer during the daytime and during the trip back had to use the head light.
Nothing.
I discovered they had forgotten to replace the fuse after doing some work, so had no tail lights either.
I always check now.
Simon
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 1:29 pm
esa

I owe a '05 Lt. Can you tell me where to point the fob to --- i.e., where on the dash or whatever is the sensor located?

Thanks
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Second fob came with the bike. Battey size listed in the manual. It was something like CR2303, I'd have to look it up in the manual again. With the new batteries, I can toggle the alarm from across the street. Was having fun with people in Chagrin Falls tonight.
Correction. I looked it up the battery number was CR2032. Well I was kinda close.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 8:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

ESA

It is under the Top Case. Point to the rear of the rear seat.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 15 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Almost got stranded.
Yesterday while riding my primary remote would not deactivate the alarm immobilizer, right away. I thought I might have been in an RF interferance field or something. Held it real close and it deactivated on the second try.
Today It would not do it at all. I got my second fob and it worked. Then going to lunch I had to hold it real close again. First one did'nt work the second one flakey. BMW dealer didn't have a battery but Radio Shack did. Whew. I have a 2003 and the manual says change them every 2 or 3 years. Lucky I had my backup, but my backup was not reliable either.

You are so right. I am about to leave on a long road trip and after reading this posting I decided to go ahead and change the battery in both of my "remote" units. LT is only 6 months old and I have always had to get within a close proximity for them to activate the storage lock-up and alarm. My 03 LT did not have the same problem and it was easy to activate within 100 feet of the m/c. With a new LT it never occurred to me to change the batteries so soon. New batteries installed and I have an instant upgrade on range and speed. Must have been an old supply of batteries on hand at the remote control factory the day mine were assembled. Thanks for pointing out the obvious

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 6:30 am

I've had my Lt for one year now and up until two months ago I too always had to hold the remote very close to the right side of the instrument cluster to activate and de activate the alarm. Then one day I used the remote in the opposite direction that I've been accustom to ( the key ring facing the bike) and presto the remote works up to 20' away.
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:19 am
esa

jzeiler, I replaced my top-case with a Ft. Worth BMW rack. From your post I assume the sensor that controls the alarm (and the alarm) is under the flat area that is under the top-case or, in my case, the Ft Worth rack.
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:56 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esa
I assume the sensor that controls the alarm (and the alarm) is under the flat area that is under the top-case
That's correct. The alarm module sits just in front of the tail light.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in