Parts is parts (rubber grips, gripes, and foolery) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:27 am Thread Starter

Red face Parts is parts (rubber grips, gripes, and foolery)

Ok, I've read the archives, fuddled through the interpretations of the replies, and at the risk of looking like a total thicky need the clarification.

The following part is from the on-line BMW parts fisch. What I want to do is replace only the rubber over grip on my heated grips. The unit is fine, all I want is the rubber.

This is the part number:

32722332619 handle left $17

If I order 2 of these, pull off the grip and reinstall them over the heated sleeves, is this all it would take to work.

A simple yes or no for this poor soul lost in a black & white world when it comes to his grip replacement needs.

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:37 am

I knew where you could of had some for free The bike is now gone
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:47 am Thread Starter

Hmmm... but would your karma run over my dogma?

Would the ghost of your totaled bike haunt me?

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 2:01 am

Cool Beryl could do with some grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
Ok, I've read the archives, fuddled through the interpretations of the replies, and at the risk of looking like a total thicky need the clarification.

The following part is from the on-line BMW parts fisch. What I want to do is replace only the rubber over grip on my heated grips. The unit is fine, all I want is the rubber.

This is the part number:

32722332619 handle left $17

If I order 2 of these, pull off the grip and reinstall them over the heated sleeves, is this all it would take to work.

A simple yes or no for this poor soul lost in a black & white world when it comes to his grip replacement needs.
G'day Dave,
Going Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back methinks I remember that the left and right side grips have different inside diameters.

Beryl, being a '99 model has some seriously depleted rubber on her bars, so I have tentativly rerubbered her with some tennis racquet rubber grip tape.

In the hot, and also wet conditions we get here, down under, I find that the grips will slide off quite easily,...(not that I let them get that far down the bar). so it would be nice to get some exact replacements but always thought they were not available as an individual item. The belief being is they are supposed to be glued to the heater underneath. The alternative being you are supposed to buy the whole heated grip assembly at a couple of hundred $$......doh! This is not the case for Beryl, at least, soooo if you do find exacty replacements jot it down here.....Beryl could do with some.

Pity about the other totalled one which has good bar grips,....think I would suffer with the ghost of the wrecked unit for decent rubber.

cheers

Phill

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 7:10 am
Gold Supporter

Go to www.casporttouring.com/store and search for grip puppies. I think these will help.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
G'day Dave,------------------------
Going Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back methinks I remember that the left and right side grips have different inside diameters. ----------------------
Phill
No, both grips are the same Inside Diameter. The rubber grip part number mentioned is for a non heated grip, and one removes the rubber and installs it on the heater sleeve of the LT. They are only glued a little at the inside end, easy to get off.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:31 am

After you replace them wrap them with tennis racket tape and they will never wear out again! Gives you a more cushy feel too.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
After you replace them wrap them with tennis racket tape and they will never wear out again! Gives you a more cushy feel too.
How do you seal them at the ends?

2012 K1600GT

post #9 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
No, both grips are the same Inside Diameter. The rubber grip part number mentioned is for a non heated grip, and one removes the rubber and installs it on the heater sleeve of the LT. They are only glued a little at the inside end, easy to get off.
Excellent, for $34 a set that will work. Thanks for the confirmation!

2012 K1600GT

post #10 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:36 am

David, if the grips are not too too bad you can go here: www.beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html they have a rubber sleeve that will slip right over your current grip. They are nice and cushey. Just got a pair and love them.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Last edited by Dochatley; Jul 12th, 2006 at 11:05 am.
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 2:45 pm

The ends of the tape have a little sticky tab that works well. Mine are one and a half years old and have not let go yet. You could use a little black tape if necessary. Make sure to wrap the throttle in the direction of the twist so you are not unwrapping it every time you give it the gas. I have found them to give a little more cushion and are completely waterproof. The heated grips work fine through the wrap too.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

Hi David , how did you make out with your grips ? I have to do mine , and according to the BMW shop you can't just change the rubber part . They want to sell you the hole grip at 100$ per grip . I told them I read somewhere that you could put new rubber on , but they said they never heard of it .

Anyway did it turn out OK ? Thanks ...patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #13 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:27 pm

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=272221

I went through that last year after reading about the grip replacement in the HOW. Same response from the dealer.

The new grip covers worked very well for me, but they are a few mm shorter than what will come off your heated grips in case you're that a.r. I don't notice the difference, and without using any glue at all they have stayed put nicely.
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Update!

They worked GREAT! PN# 32722332619, remove them from the plastic handlebar insert by rolling backwards over the sleeve they come with and then reverse-roll over the heater element for a PERFECT fit!!!

2012 K1600GT

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:05 pm

Talking Parts is Parts

www.casporttouring.com/store

Take a look at these Grip Puppies. (See attached pic). I just got a set (I also have heated grips) and they feel wonderful. You'll need to spray a little silicone spray inside one end to get it to slip on easily. (Also, you'll need to trim it to the proper length first.) Took me about 30 minutes to get the first one on (without the silicone spray.) About a minute to do the second one.

They feel wonderful. Soft, cushy and easy on the hands. Has a solid grip feel. And, the heated grips are still heated and you can feel the heat too. I accidentally turned mine on the other day (90 + day) and wondered why my hands (thru my gloves) were feeling so warm.

For the LT, get the small like in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grippuppies.png
Views:	81
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6253  

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 4:21 pm

Grips

David, yes they will cause I've done just that and when you put the new ones on roll them back over themselves and then roll them on the grips. Afterwards apply just a tad of epoxy to the ends. Okay roll the ends back over and then apply the epoxy and when you roll them right they'll be safe and secure. I did this just because they wanted to seel the complete grip. The non heated verus heated isn't an issue and mine have been doing great for almost a year now. Enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in