Considering an LT-Couple of ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Question Considering an LT-Couple of ?

Just sold a R1150GS and I was headed to an RT but I've found a couple of decent deals on LT's so I'm thinking I should at least go look.

My only concern with an LT is that I want a bike that I can ride across town as easily as riding across the country. I know the trip across country would be great but how about the trip across town?

One of the bikes is an 02 w/ 33,000 miles and the asking price is $8100.
The other is an 99 w/ 12,500 miles and the asking price is $8900.
Both sound great and pics look good. Tires are good on both. Service is up to date on the 02 but the 99 needs the 12,000 mile service.
What's the ballpark cost for the 12,000?

I've enjoyed lurking around this website and who knows-I might become a card carrying/K12 owner?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:12 am

Go for the '02

Couple design and engineering changes that are desirable on the '02s (brakes, computer). Milage difference is negligable for these bikes.

As to ride'n 'cross town - I live in a 'smaller' place of only 50K folks. I ride my LT not only to work, but for work. I visit upto a half dozen client sites daily, hauling bags of tools and the occasional piece of networking gear around. Does great!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 6:57 am

id go with the 02

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 7:22 am

my $.02

I would test ride them before buying one. They are by no means a GS. If you are an experienced rider around town just requires a little more care until you are used to the extra weight.

I've had my 02 for 2500 miles and am still getting used to how it handles compared to my old 85 K. NOTE: Almost all of these miles are two-up riding. Bike doesn't leave the garage unless the co-pilot is in position.

For the money difference I would probably look at the 02.

Don't know the cost of a 12K service.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 8:00 am

I would go with the 02. The 99 might get a little better mileage but the 02 might have the improved rear drive bearing. The cost of a 12,000 mile check at my dealer in Kansas is around $450. I would ride an LT to make sure you can handle the extra weight.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:51 am
Gold Supporter

Go for the 02 for all the above reasons. I use my LT for work and ride it all day around town. Can't be beat for the cross country runs either and if you get the chance to run it through some twisties in the mountains you will love it. The bike weighs a little more than you're used to, but is so well balanced and nimble it won't take long to be extremly comfortable to you.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:52 am

If they are firm on the prices I would go with the 02'. That 99' should be under $8K even if in great shape (I know, I got one. If someone wants to give me more than $8K I would take it). As far as service, if you don't know these sellers or know someone that does you really can't be sure about the service unless they have proof. So if they don't, I would do a full service on both just to be sure. Doing yourself is easy on the 99' probably need the dealer for the brakes on the 02'. Both bikes will make you smile. As far as travel and commuting, take the trunk off for 1 up commuting (10 minute easy job and makes the bike handle like a GT, sorta big one) put the trunk on for travel. You will notice a world of difference without the trunk back there.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:01 am

I commute on my LT dailey, takes a little time to get use to handling it in the parking lot but it's easier to carry all my stuff in comfort on the LT than strap it on the Sprint.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:24 am

Wink It's the right bike for everything!

I traded my GT for the new LT and haven't looked back. I use it everyday to visit customers, in the city as well as in the country. Today I did 650km to see a carbide producer needing my services. The bike causes quite a stir as it is unique! It takes a bit of getting used to compared to the GS (which is ultimately manoeverable), but you soon get used to the parameters of the LT. Get the 02 - it has more features. The motor on these bikes is bullet proof, so mileage is not a real factor. Good luck.

Regards
Birdman
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 1:58 pm

I just traded my R1200RT for an 06 LT and immediately noticed the difference in slow speed handling. I have quickly learned NOT to have the front wheel pointed off center when stopping. I could get away with that on the RT but not this new LT. However, once I'm up over 20 mph. this bike handles like just like my RT did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in