Has anyone installed a "hide away" antenna? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Cool Has anyone installed a "hide away" antenna?

I recently purchased the "4UA20 "Hide-away" high gain amplified AM/FM antenna
$29.95". Has anyone replaced their AM/FM antenna with this hide-away model? How's the reception?

I wonder how difficult it is to install or is this a job for the BMW dealer. If anyone has installed one of these, your suggestions on the install would be much appreciated.

http://www.storesonline.com/site/515372/product/44ua20

Thanks,
Larry
Port Charlotte, FL

Larry Seeman
Port Charlotte, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:42 pm

Installed one on my '02. Several people have. My FM and weather bands reception was comparable. AM had a whine from the alternator that I never seemed to find the time to cure. Basically because I had no use for AM. In fact, once I bought my iPod, I never listened to FM again.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 12:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulSoul
Has anyone replaced their AM/FM antenna with this hide-away model? How's the reception?
Yes, and I had horrible reception. I took it off and returned to a stock antenna and I'm back to normal reception.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 1:17 am

I installed one a year ago. I didn't notice any loss in reception, just the loss of that irritating whip antenna being in the way all the time.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #5 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 3:20 am

Garage
I installed the "Hide Away" a couple of years ago. I didn't notice any loss in reception, provided the ignition is on and the unit is powered. Reception is poor if the ignition is in the off position, so I cannot use the LT, as a garage radio.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I've had one for about a year and get lousy reception. Am is pitiful, weather band sucks, and FM is marginal. I've tried several locations with no success. I currently have it mounted on the front of my BMR shelf in front of my GPS. Haven't done much about it 'caus I have XM and that's about all I listen to.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Mine works fine. I wonder if the position where you install it makes a difference. Mine is under the black plastic piece under the topcase. It's taped to the backside of the indent for the tail light assembly. Actually, I seem to get the same results as mentioned above -- AM still useless, FM and weather equal to the whip antenna.

I did find that the reception got pretty bad wehn I forgot to reconnect the power lead however.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:04 pm

<....working on the magnetic field associated with a conductor excited by a microwave.>

Anyone have a clue what that means?

I've always thought that since RF is electromagnetic radiation, and the E and H (magnetic) components are at right angles, they are "associated" with each other.

The few times I've read about H-plane antennas they are transmitting loops. I've never seen mention of a wave length relationship between E and H. I've always assumed the wave lengths would be identical.

What I remember is that horizontally oriented magnetic antennas produce vertical, an omnidirectional pattern. So, a magnetic antenna would have to be placed horizontally to be omnidirectional.

Bob
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:59 pm

I put one in...and pulled it out after trying everything, including toroidal filters, to get rid of the whine. I like local AM talk radio.

I'm back to the whip with a Sirius satellite radio and an FM modulator that results in dynamite sound from Sirius and never having to change the FM retrans station.
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckelew
I put one in...and pulled it out after trying everything, including toroidal filters, to get rid of the whine. I like local AM talk radio.

I'm back to the whip with a Sirius satellite radio and an FM modulator that results in dynamite sound from Sirius and never having to change the FM retrans station.
Did you try grounding the antenna?

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Garage
Go with the Sirius or XM units. You won't regret it! I'm a Sirius guy and love it!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 1:19 am

Shark Fin antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulSoul
I recently purchased the "4UA20 "Hide-away" high gain amplified AM/FM antenna
$29.95". Has anyone replaced their AM/FM antenna with this hide-away model? How's the reception?

I wonder how difficult it is to install or is this a job for the BMW dealer. If anyone has installed one of these, your suggestions on the install would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry
Port Charlotte, FL

I have been looking at installing one of the shark fin type antenna we now see on the BMW cars as well as other manufactured vehicles. Thought about putting it on the hump of the rear top box. Has anyone thought of this, installed one or have knowledge of the results after installation?

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 27th, 2007, 9:06 am

I installed one on my 2000 LT. I mounted mine at the extreme rear of the bike under the top box. Reception does suffer in that location and FM is OK around town but useless in fringe reception areas. AM never did work but like Joe I could care less. I have an Ice-Link/iPod setup and seldom use the radio anyway.

Installation isn't difficult. You will need to cut and replace a number of zip ties to remove the OEM antenna coax cable which runs from the external antenna forward to the left side of the stingray. You will need 12V from a switched power source for the hide-away antenna and you need to route the hide-away coax cable from the installation location to the stingray. If you mount it somewhere in the rear of the bike you can probably use the same routing as the OEM coax cable and kill two birds with one stone as far as replacing zip ties and securing the new cable are concerned.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 30th, 2007, 2:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPNorton
...that irritating whip antenna being in the way all the time.
I ride home from work @ midnight. The motion sensor light doesn't always come on when I park so it's black as pitch after turning off the HID's. Almost always I'll walk into the antenna after dismounting (left side) & walking back to the topcase to put the helmet away. Has anyone moved the radio antenna to the right side of the bike successfully? I know the CB antenna mount can go there but will the one from the left bolt up on the right? At least then when I park on the sidestand it won't be jutting out at me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in