BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

"It Came From Out of the Nose!"

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tkramer 
#1 ·
No. Not a boogie!

I installed a HID kit from HID-Online a couple of weeks ago. When all was said and done, I found this little grey doohickey lying on the garage floor by the front wheel. It looks like some sort of venturi pipe. But honestly, I cant figure out what it is or off of where it came. I'm pretty sure it's not a wire terminal insulator. Does anyone have a clue?

I guess I shouldn't worry, the bike still runs without it. ;-)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
tkramer said:
No. Not a boogie!

I installed a HID kit from HID-Online a couple of weeks ago. When all was said and done, I found this little grey doohickey lying on the garage floor by the front wheel. It looks like some sort of venturi pipe. But honestly, I cant figure out what it is or off of where it came. I'm pretty sure it's not a wire terminal insulator. Does anyone have a clue?

Your sons crack pipe maybe ?

Kidding of course.
Scott

#4 ·
tkramer said:
No. Not a boogie!

Just curious, how do you like the result of your headlight mod. I had Hella FF200 Xenon's as aux lights on my previous ride and they were absolutely awesome. Like playing God, turning 'night into day'...

I heard/read the '06 has a HID option? If I go with a nice used '05 would you reccommend the kit you installed? Expensive?

Jim

#7 ·
LeRoi said:
It looks like it is vent cover from the high beam housing. See the picture at the old site

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/downloadattachments.php?attach_id=12858?Cat=

I think that part is in the lower left of the high beam.
That's it! Thanks. Once again I owe you for your help regarding things HID.

Then I was right, thinking it was a venturi. If I'd continued along that line of logic, I could have figured it out on my own:

• Venturi tube only good for rapid air flow.
  • Rapid airflow only occurs at bottom edge of nose.
  • Chamfered opening of tube must protrude beyond that edge.
  • Eyball the part while moving it along the edge and I find its home.

Alas, it's just too easy to be lazy and enlist the help of this great community.

#8 ·
I second that. I have only the lowbeam as I have a modulator on the high bulb. But so far, for me at least, the low HID makes the hi-beam somewhat superfluous. In the future, I do intend to add those HID Hellas you mention for the real dark and lonely empty spaces I could end up riding to.

Re price: It was US$260 shipped 2-day from UK. There are "budget" kits from an eBay vendor mentioned in these forums for something like US$160, but I don't know if anyone has reported back with an install vis a vie components and quality. HID-Online has come highly recommended by this forum for a while now.

The recent pictures posted here from a French show look like the next year's model will just be a retro-fit of the low beam. Not a true HID implementation where the bulb axis is shifted via servo to modulate between hi/low beam. I could be wrong, but the photos didn't look like the factory HID fixtures on my car or the others I've seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.