Hard starting when hot - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Hard starting when hot

Can anyone help me? My 02 starts right up when cold but go for a ride, stop for gas and try to start and the engine turn quite a bit before catching. If I don't add any throttle, it just kinda stumbles to life. I've also noticed a poppping sound when you hold the throttle steady at say 2,500 rpm. I did the fuel filter, and plugs at 24K. The bike now has about 27K. Could I be showing signs of a fuel pump or regulator? BTW, I've cut the brown wire as well. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 3:49 am

Todd,
This is pretty typical for the LT's. Some say that the fuel vaporizes in the fuel rail when hot and the engine off for a few minutes and that the bike has to "reprime" the injectors. Usually, with my LT, if it does not instantly start, I stop cranking the engine, when I recrank the engine it will start. Also I have had success by cracking the throttle some, this seems to help.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydude
Can anyone help me? My 02 starts right up when cold but go for a ride, stop for gas and try to start and the engine turn quite a bit before catching. If I don't add any throttle, it just kinda stumbles to life. I've also noticed a poppping sound when you hold the throttle steady at say 2,500 rpm. I did the fuel filter, and plugs at 24K. The bike now has about 27K. Could I be showing signs of a fuel pump or regulator? BTW, I've cut the brown wire as well. Any thoughts?
I agree with Mike -- crack the throttle as you start -- that tells the Moronic (through the throttle position sensor) to open the fuel injectors a bit more, which seems to help "purge" the fuel rail a bit faster.

I don't know whether fuel vaporization is *actually* happening, but the throttle cracking works, so I'll stick with this explanation for now!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thanks guys. Just glad to hear that others experience this as well. I'm OK with cracking the throttle a bit.

Thanks again,
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 9:20 pm

My LT did the same thing--the battery was slowly dying, replaced battery and all is well
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by afastchief
My LT did the same thing--the battery was slowly dying, replaced battery and all is well
Thanks for the input! FWIW, I and others found this to happen in hot whether with a good battery -- the problem isn't slow starter (starter spins plenty fast, it just won't catch).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:12 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
I agree with Mike -- crack the throttle as you start -- that tells the Moronic (through the throttle position sensor) to open the fuel injectors a bit more, which seems to help "purge" the fuel rail a bit faster.

I don't know whether fuel vaporization is *actually* happening, but the throttle cracking works, so I'll stick with this explanation for now!
The other day I went for a quick run to the corner store for a gallon of milk. 225 miles. (Didn't say what corner, or which state for that matter. ) Got back, parked on the center stand, took off helmet and jacket, cleaned the windshield and fussed over a few mindless details. Went to check the mileage on the trip computer, turned on the ignition. switch and the fuel tank started to boil. Stopped when the fuel pump had completed it's pre-start cycle. Hmmm......... Turned the switch off and then back on and the same boiling happened again. Well, I'll be............ Course it was nice and quiet in the shed so it was easy to hear. Off and back on with the switch and it did it just a little bit. I wonder.............. Hit the starter and it fired right up. How bout that............. Usually cranks a bit when it's hot. Must have purged the vapor from the fuel rail. Did anybody mention that when it's hot it helps to crack the throttle a bit ?
Went into the house and was "reminded" by my wife that I had forgotten the milk and this time she was coming with me to make sure I didn't forget it. 110 miles this time, and the tank would still "boil."
Suppose we could say this problem is a direct result of BBS?

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in