2006 K1200LT Gear Shift Sticks! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Question 2006 K1200LT Gear Shift Sticks!

Hi,

I have a new 2006 LT with about 1600 miles on it. Recently the gear shift sticks, that is it will not rachet the change shaft so I cannot change gears.

It usually does this when I down shift, and won't allow shifting into or out of 2nd gear. I can always shift up. The gear shift lever actually stays down and will not return to the center position.

I can lift it up with my toe and then shift down so I don't think it is a problem in side the transmission.

I have talked to my dealer about it and we have lubed the linkage externally. It will operated just great until the temp gauge is above center. This usually happens in traffic. On a recent trip I had a problem with it in town but once I was out at highway speeds and the engine temps went down it works just fine.

Now for my question--

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
1a. If so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by 9771; Jul 11th, 2006 at 10:27 am. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:52 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sounds like a lube issue as there is no way to do it "externally". You have to take it apart to lube it.

But the always upshift won't down shift is a concern. That sounds like something else.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:29 am

When I installed the upgraded shifter linkage I had a somewhat similar problem. When shifting up or down, the shift linkage would not return to the 'neutral' position. By this, I mean I would have to lift up of the shifter with my toe to completely engage the next gear. After playing with it for a while, I finally lubed all of the ball studs and made sure that the linkage was correctly aligned. It's really not hard to lube the linkage, especially after the first time.

No problems since.

Hope this helps.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Alan.

That sounds like my problem. I will get my tech to look at it a little harder. I think it is a lube problem or something is too tight.

I'll keep you posted
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 3:58 pm

I think I would have them check the clutch adjustment, just a suggestion. Upshifting can be done without the clutch being engaged fully but downshifting especially 2nd and 1st is not the case. (IMHO)

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Last edited by Texas42; Jul 11th, 2006 at 4:07 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Update*******

I took the bike to my dealer, my local hang out as well, yesterday and it just so happens that the BMW regional Service Manager was there making the rounds. I told him about the problem and he suggested that since it was so new that there was a part the is internal to the transmission that may have a burr or caught one and that is causing the problem. He told my service tech to change the trans-fluid, then run it for a few miles, then change it again.

He told me that he has seen this problem before and the fixed it.
After the first change it seems to work a lot better! I also switched to synthtic oil.

My tech wants to change it again on Saturday.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Last Saturday my local shop changed the tranny oil again. This has not fixed the problem, in fact it is getting worse. Now it will stick in both directions.

Sunday morning I was greeted to a puddle of tranny oil under the bike. I checked to see where it might be coming from, it was not the drain plug or anywhere near it.

Very heart broken. It has barely 1700 mile on it, now it may need a new tranny. It is under warranty of course, but my dealer is four week out on maintenance appointments. Maybe I should have bought a Honda.
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Maybe it's a "Lemon" and they should give you a new bike. Do you have a "Lemon Law" in Illinois?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA

Don't Panic!
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:43 am Thread Starter

Not sure about lemon law. It may be premature for that, after all they have told me that they will replace the transmission under warrenty. I just hope that is where it ends!
I love this bike and I'm not ready to give up on it yet.
The dealer here, Twin City BMW Motorcycles has been very very helpful. I would recommend them to everyone for service!

Too bad they don't have enough techs to cover their business. Twin City is a car dealer that decided to get into motorcycles. The owner is pretty clueless about motorcycles and their owners. The manager of the cycle shop is doing his very best as well as the rest of the staff. I appreciate their efforts on my behalf even though the owner may not.
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:14 pm

You been able to find where it is leaking from?
Bob
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:19 am Thread Starter

**********Final Post on this subject***********

Yesterday I spent the better part of the day at the BMW shop trying to resolve my problem.

There are no transmissions in the US. My dealer was not sure if or when they would be able to obtain one. This left me less than satisfied. To make things worst there was no one present who deserved my rath.

I was planning to ride about 700 miles on a short trip to southern Illinois the second week in August.

Disgruntled and disillusioned I returned home. I decided to check the transmission fluid level to make sure I had enough. After removing the left rider peg bracket, I found the source of the leak. There was a stream of fluid coming from the transmission fluid fill hole. The cap was not even finger tight! I tightened the cap which stopped the leak.

Next I decided to take a look at the gear selector. My contention has always been that there was some binding in the change linkage. My focus was the pivot that is attached to the transmission case. I turned the bolt which caused it to loosen. There is a locking nut on the bolt so there is little chance that the nut will come off. This relived the binding on the change linkage. I rode the bike to get it good and hot to see if the gear shift would stick, it did not!

To sum up. I was correct in my assessment of the binding problem in the change linkage. We could have avoided all of this "drama" by some simple troubleshooting and not jumping to conclusions which lead to "over working " the problem.

Later today I will call the dealership and let them know I don't need a new transmission, or maybe I'll just pencil them in for the 1st of the month.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:44 am

Shawn,
Good find. Same "problem" started creeping up on my 2005 when it neared the 12k PM(preventative maintenance).

Being the "banished" HD rider I am, I figured I'd take the shift assembly apart, clean, lube and reassemble... so I did that... man, what a difference! I found several potential "binding" points and resolved them.

Result: slick shifting.. good smooth, "feel" to the shift mechanism after remounting left peg mount plate to bike.. it's amazing to see how it "feels" by hand, toggling up and down on the shift lever "before-n-after"..

I think the BMW rep was trying to head off a big warranty charge-back. The "good news" is you now have a well "flushed" tranny!

As a "technician", once the guys above my "pay grade" took ownership of a problem, it was theirs. If the BMW "Rep" told me to wash the bike to fix the tranny, I'd privately express my thoughts on the topic, then wash the bike because at that point the BMW Rep "owned" the problem... especially if it was not a "safety" issue. That's a whole different situation.

In your case, it was clearly a potential "safety" issue. If you can't shift to merge with traffic that could be a problem... especially if you run out of throttle =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 2:33 pm

Does that mean that they filled the transmission on the side stand and it leaked when you had it on the center stand? How could they get too much in there?

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA

Don't Panic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in