Can I save my windscreen? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Question Can I save my windscreen?

I put some crap called Mirror Glaze on my shield a few weeks back. It worked great at first. Now when it gets cold or humid out the shield fogs and the crap is visible almost like vasline or other petrolium product that I cant seem to get off.

Before I buff the stuff off my question is best way to get the crap off (soap and warm water?) and then what is the best product to use. I think Honda makes something I've seen recommended here.

any advice welcome....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:06 am

for waxy goop, use Dawn dishwashing liquid. Other than that, Im not sure what you can do.

F
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:10 am

Clean it with denatured alcohol, and that'll fix it up as good as new.

-joel

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:28 am

I did the same thing to mine trying to polish out a scratch ( which it remove nicely) but I have the same problem you mention. I have found that when it fogs up I can just wipe it down with soapy water and rinse it off and it is good as new for a while but the foggy condition comes back in a few days.
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 11:33 am

Chris, you'll find quite a few notes/threads on cleaning with denatured alcohol. As I recall, it may take more than one 'cleaning' to remove the wax/polish...

Try a search on foggy ...

Good luck...

oops... missed seeing kdog's reply....
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 4:57 pm

The only thing I use

The only thing I use on my windshield, helmet visor or sunglasses is Plexus. I have 2 cans of the Honda cleaner/polish and was confused by the labeling. One of the honda cans is a small like pint sized can and on the back it says for non painted surfaces, while the larger can does not say that and it is exactly the same product. Plexus has always done the job for me

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 7:04 pm

I'm not going to add much more than whats been said, I have had the same issue. It's a pain in the but. I find that tide with hot water gets rids of it temporarily.
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 7:55 pm

You guyz wanna sure fire fix for foggy windshields?? Here's my solution and it works for me and Toad. YMMV and all that jazz.

Get the shield good and clean with mild soap and water. Take a soaked rag of denatured alcohol and wipe the shield a couple of times - both sides. Let dry. Get a bottle of Brillianize and apply to both side of the shield. Follow the directions where it sez to wipe with a clean soft cloth until the surface is as smooth as 'glass'. Do this twice in the beginning, and from then on, each time you wash the bugs off the shield, reapply the Brillianize. I've been using this stuff since '99, after my first OEM shield fogged over and Lone Star owner gave me the fix. Nada since then.

BTW - believe it when it sez, on the Brillianize bottle: do not use on a surface that you plan to paint in the future!!! Paint ain't gonna stick, cuz Brillianize is super slick!!

Works for me and I hope for you also. If not, paint a bullseye on your OEM and use it for target practice, then git a ZTechnik shield!!
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Get a bottle of Brillianize and apply to both side of the shield. Follow the directions where it sez to wipe with a clean soft cloth until the surface is as smooth as 'glass'. Do this twice in the beginning, and from then on, each time you wash the bugs off the shield, reapply the Brillianize.

where can get this misspelled produkt? this brillianze sounds like the trick... thanx dick.
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
Get a bottle of Brillianize and apply to both side of the shield. Follow the directions where it sez to wipe with a clean soft cloth until the surface is as smooth as 'glass'. Do this twice in the beginning, and from then on, each time you wash the bugs off the shield, reapply the Brillianize.

where can get this misspelled produkt? this brillianze sounds like the trick... thanx dick.
Hey, chris --- check with your dealer, he may carry it. Mine does.

If not, then click here and order some. They also sell the soft wipes AND I think some folks have ordered the pre-soaked wipes. I just use a spray bottle (one big one for the garage, and a small spritzer for the road). Good luck, chris.
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 12th, 2006, 11:53 pm

I have used a product called Flitz

Flitz is big in the boating industry. Worked great for me for cleaning and removing scratches.
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 1:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

After using Plexus(never again) my windscreen was a mess. Took this sites advice and used denatured alcohol just hours ago. It is just like new!

Benton

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 3:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy

Well, my bust. That shield looked great....until this morning. Just as crappy now as it was before I used the alcohol. Apparently it pulled the moisture out an now it's baaaaaack. I'll be shopping at the rally.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Just do it again. It sometimes takes several passes to get all the old products off.

Regards,
-joel
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:35 am

I've tried the Honda product and have had the fogging. Used denatured alcohol and it tok care of it. Now I just use soap and water and shield stays fog free.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in