Food for thought - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:01 pm Thread Starter
ajs

Food for thought

I have read any number of threads etc. on this site regarding the replacement of clutch and pressure plate when it becomes contaminated with brake fluid and/or oil or other contaminates due to leaking seals and slave cylinders. All at considerable cost. I don't have this problem, yet anyway.

Some food for thought. In my past life I have used brake cleaner to clean up similar contaminates on automotive brake system parts including shoes, pads, rotors, drums, etc. I used this product (at the owners request) on a work truck with 4 wheel drum brakes. The parts were contaminated with major quantities of brake fluid at three wheels and both brake fluid and rear end grease at one wheel. It was an older imported truck and it was difficult to get new parts. Each wheel had 2 brake cylinders, all of which needed new seals and dust covers and rehoneing. I was able to provide new seals and covers and hone the cylinders. The drums and shoes had lots of wear left in them. They were severely messed up with the contaminates. This is where the brake cleaner came in. I cleaned them up really good, reassembled the system and turned the truck over to the owner with careful instructions to monitor the brakes and to return for a recheck in a month or sooner. His brakes worked better than ever (his words) and when I rechecked the system everything was as it should be with any brake system.

I know this is long and convoluted but I was wondering if the same treatment could apply to the clutch system and avoid the costly repairs I have been reading about. Any comments out there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 3:08 pm

The parts aren't THAT bad to buy, it's the labor that's the killer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in