Rear brake rotor scoring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Rear brake rotor scoring

Greetings all, looking for the collective wisdom after not quite finding what I need in the FAQ's.

16,000km on an '05 LT, found out on Sat halfway through a 500km ride that the rear brake was giving a "crunch, crunch, crunch" noise as I braked... so hard to describe a noise, eh!
Found the rear rotor somewhat scored, so after getting home (not using the foot-brake) pulled the rear caliper off. A small eliptical bead that may have been a rock fell out, and then found that there were pretty much no pads left. Had no idea that they wouldn't last that long.
Queried cost of new rotor (AU$534) plus another $100 for pads, plus labour.
Whats the thoughts on just how much scoring could be put up with without replacing the rotor? There seemed to be a small bead of buildup on the rotor I could see and feel with my finger, so presumably this would cut into a new pad, but I'm hoping I could just get away with a pad change in the short term.
Thoughts on scoring and also pad life??
I do ride city traffic everyday, so lots of braking.

Also, I did find the following statement on FAQ's, and wondered how many (05's?) have successfully argued for rotor replacements based on the squeal, and whether or not excessive wear may have been a considered factor?
UPDATE: There is a new service bulletin from BMW that addresses this issue. Several folks have had their rear brake rotors replaced with one of a new design by their dealers under warranty. If your brakes make noise, try asking your dealer fix it per the service bulletin.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:40 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
update...

Managed to get a couple hours off work and took the LT to the nearest dealer (Procycles, St Peters).
The first Service Counter guy had a look at the rotor and said, yes, can get away with just new pads. The beaded buildup was from metal on metal which had welded itself to the rotor.
He ran the bike into the workshop for a service tech to look at, and the Service Manager also went out to ask the tech about it.
2 minutes later the SM popped his head back in the door and said "We'll replace the disk under BMW warranty, its rattly, but you'll have to pay for new pads!"
So I'm happy, will be fixed for about $100 ( I hope). Phewww!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 3:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad it worked out for you, Chris. Just check those brake pads regularly to avoid damaging the new rotor as they wear.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 3:22 am Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thanks Ken.
Yes, note to self... STOP enjoying myself riding and start paying attention....!!!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 7:29 am

That's great news! My '05 throws a lot of brake dust.. more than I ever recall seeing on any other M/C..

So, I'll need to check my pads to make sure, but at the 12K MILE check they looked to be in good shape.

There's one reason to "frequent" your local BMW dealer for your "accessories"... nice to have them nearby, eh?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 5:09 am

Cool Extra $$ for toys then??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Found the rear rotor somewhat scored, so after getting home (not using the foot-brake) pulled the rear caliper off. A small eliptical bead that may have been a rock fell out, and then found that there were pretty much no pads left. Had no idea that they wouldn't last that long.
Queried cost of new rotor (AU$534) plus another $100 for pads, plus labour.
Whats the thoughts on just how much scoring could be put up with without replacing the rotor? . If your brakes make noise, try asking your dealer fix it per the service bulletin.[/i]
Woohoooooo Chris with BMW actually coming to the party to replace your rear disc....this of course equates to you telling Kerry that "hmmmmmmm $534 for a new disc"....but forgetting to say "BMW will replace the disc"...which means in the wash of things you now get to spend $534 to buy some toys ....hehehheheheh

Now what could $A534 get that you would like???

cheers

Phill....riding partner with CWS but checks his brake pads himself!

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

Ulysses 18430

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in