Here's a noise I haven't heard before!? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Here's a noise I haven't heard before!?

Rode my '01 LT from South Bend to Covington, KY over the weekend to visit my neice and her family. While enroute I noticed a noise while pulling away from stoplights.

We're all familiar with the little clunking sound our abs units make when we first start our LT's and pull away from a stop. Well, this sounded a lot like that clunk...maybe a little louder and happened only while pulling away from a stop or slow roll...but not only from the first pull-away after a startup, but subsequent motor-runnin' pull-aways as well.

Today coming back, it didn't do it even once. Everything was back to normal. At no time during the noises did my abs lights flash. My brakes seem to be working fine.

Any ideas anyone? Could it be something amiss with my abs unit?

I'm leaving this Saturday for a leisurely ride to the International in Vermont, so this ISN'T the time for mechanical failures. Since my LT is an '01 without the power brakes...if my abs unit comes up bad, will my brakes still function OK (minus the abs feature, of course)?

So many questions...so little time!!!

Thanks,

Paul Rakestraw
South Bend, IN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:38 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

you will still have brakes. However, you will need to compensate for how much you squeeze the lever.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:59 pm

Thump in the night.

Did you have anything in the trunk that could have rolled to the back of the truck causing the "thunk" everytime you left a light??

I leave for Vermont Friday night from Seattle. Staying in Spokane Friday, Billings Saturday, Valley City, North Dakota Sunday, Marquette, Michigan on Monday night. Pitawawa, Ontario, Canada on Tuesday night.

Gene

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 2:37 am

Had some tools escape from the roll in the side case once. Caused some heart palpitations till I figured out what it was.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:24 am

I get that clunk also. Just thought it was the clutch or trans engaging.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Red face

You know it hadn't even occurred to me that it could be something clunking around in the trunk or side case (Duuuhhhhh)! But I never heard a sound shifting gears or excelerating at higher speeds...only while pulling away from a stop or slow roll. Sure hoping that's all it was.

Chatted with my "independent" mechanic today (former South Bend BMW mechanic) who voiced doubt it was the abs unit. Any problems with that unit would probably generate the flashing fault lights on the dash.

I'll be listening closely this week before departing for Vermont this Saturday.

Thanks,

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in