Cheap Rear Speaker Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Cheap Rear Speaker Replacement

In the "for what it's worth" department:

I recently procured a somewhat high-mileage K12LT. She had her discrepancies, but with a little TLC I felt it was well worth it. One of the shortcomings was a blown speaker in the rear. One of the big ones (I quickly realized there are eight speakers total in the four enclosures on an LT, four big and four little). I also realized that one replacement speaker was about fifty dollars.
Out of curiosity I went to the nearest Best Buy with my blown big speaker and the salesman assured me he could replace it. Not with a "one-way" like the OEM speaker, but with a "two-way" speaker that would take the place of both the big and little speaker. I bought a pair of Pioneer 5 1/4" Model # TS-G1341R speakers for less than the price of one OEM.
Installation was a breeze using the existing OEM speaker bracket. All the solderless connectors fit perfectly. My sound system is cranking out some wonderful, distortion-free sounds.
I am quite happy right now...will I encounter any unforeseen problems with this modification?
VR/Didi
99 K12LT (Gertie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolenaarD
I am quite happy right now...will I encounter any unforeseen problems with this modification?
Congrats on your purchase! I am all for happiness. The only question I have is the speaker water proof? It will take on water directly, so it has to be, unless you never ride in the rain.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 9:01 pm

There are plenty of good speakers that can replace the originals with as good or better sound quality, and size, but you have to be sure they are constructed of water proof materials, which many auto speakers are not. Otherwise they will not last after a few rides in the rain or washes.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 10:17 pm Thread Starter

Thank you both for the "heads up".
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 9th, 2006, 11:00 pm

make sure they are the same ohm rating as the factory speakers. Not that its a huge deal, but it can strain the headunit if they arent.

F
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 3:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage
If your new speakers do wash away then I have a spare rear speaker at home in the garage. I may not be able to get to it for a week or two, but I'd let it go for a lot less than new BMW prices.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in