'05 Centerstand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

'05 Centerstand

Anyone adjust the over center stop on the '05 center stand. Mine rolled off the center stand once and I blamed it on large stones. Today it almost went on hard surface with ever so slight downhill. I have gotten in the habit of checking it before I get off but surprised me today. It does go over center and CS light goes solid.

Thanks
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:59 pm

I never park facing downhill even on the slightest grade, center or side stand. That's the kind of mistake having a reverse causes you to make.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Anyone adjust the over center stop on the '05 center stand. Mine rolled off the center stand once and I blamed it on large stones. Today it almost went on hard surface with ever so slight downhill. I have gotten in the habit of checking it before I get off but surprised me today. It does go over center and CS light goes solid.

Thanks
Rick
Without torturing you as I am sure the replies will come hot and heavy, NEVER park downhill, on even the slightest downhill grade [unless something that blocks front wheel]. The non-locking sidestand AND the centerstand are an accident waiting to happen. Sorry, don't mean to lecture.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Unhappy Need to join the dropped LT Club

Just brought the new 05 home and with 200 miles on, it fell off the side stand. I have to admit after riding 30 years with out too much trouble I guess I should have known better. Parked the bike running on the side stand and ran back into the garage to grab something and heard this huge crash! My wife had opened and shut the trunk and down the bike went. I also have a HD bagger and can say the Harley side stand is the best! It locks into place, you can have it running and shaking itself around the drive way and it will never flip up. Now after saying that the stand is the only thing the Harley has over the Beemer!
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:33 pm

Side / Centerstand

You must park uphill if at all possible. When I do use the side stand (very seldom) I put the bike in 1st and roll it forward taking all slack out of the drive train - even if the bike is pointed uphill.

If you don't take the slack out someone (most likely you) will lean up against the back of the bike and it will roll forward just enough to fall over.

I don't trust the side stand one bit - it is the only thing on the bike I don't like - well except for the seat (Kontour on order).

I have to agree with GrayLT about the HD stand. If someone came up with a way to mount a HD side stand on a LT and maintain ground clearance they would sell like hotcakes.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:07 pm

Well, I am so sorry for you but the sidestand on BMW's has been a source of concern, to the best of my knowledge, on most them.
1. Some good rules of thumb, you already know one!
2. No parking downhill
3. Kill engine with xmission in 1st/ drop side stand (forget kill button)
4. While parking uphill/or minimum level, leave in 1st, roll forward to take up slack

Hope damage minimal! My HD Road King IMHO had a great sidestand!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Well I did figure out the problem with my center stand. A rock with some tar on it had stuck to the stop. This was keeping it from going all the way over center.
Thanks for the other suggestions, but I was already doing them. The down hill I mentioned the bike would not even move on it.
Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in