BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Low front tire miles, and rear brake noise

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cfell 
#1 ·
Just having replaced front tire with 5600 miles. My rear brakes make a lot of noise. these events got me to wondering if the bias of front to rear braking could be out of adjustment so that all the stopping is done with the front wheel. My rear tire does not appear to be worn at all.
My history with tires is one front to two rears. Average 18 to 20K front with 24 On the R1200CLC B4 I trashed it.

Any thoughts or ideas

#2 ·
that's typical for the 'Stones. I'm on my 3rd front at 14k... changed to 3rd at 13.6k... probably had another 1k if I wanted to push it.. but I had a long ride so changed it and rear at same time.

Now, I have always been an "front brake" guy. The brake system is truly awesome on the K1200LT. With the weight of this beast, I wore the front much quicker initially because I am lover of "slow ride" techniques. This leads to lots of handlebar manipulation which I think literally scrubbed off the tire. I also started using the rear primariy, but still "cover" the front brake lever for an instant's response.

Now I have trained myself to no longer "slow ride" at ever commute sto. I'm seeing the tire is wearing much more evenly...as I do commute a great deal on the bike, so lots of "low speed" work, anyway, there are many "thoughts" as to why the front wears so quickly.

And keep your tire air pressures up to snuff... front and rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.