Gone But Still in the Family - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Gone But Still in the Family

Well, times change and life moves on. My '99 Gray Ghost that I have so enjoyed these past 3 years, just drove out of the driveway going 265 miles north to Athens, GA. It's still in the 'family' though as my oldest son, Wade, came down with his family to buy it and he is riding it back. I know from the 150 mile trip we did yesterday that he will be all smiles following his wife and one of their twin daughters back up home.

We had a great father and son ride yesterday even though it was very hot down here with the temp in the 104 effective temp range. We stopped near Miccosukee, Florida at the famous Bradley's Country Store to consume a couple of their famous sausage dogs. Hot and spicy and went down so nice with an Orange Crush while we sat out on the front porch under a couple of ceiling fans talking to folks about the weather and the two BMW's we were on. "You rode those all the way from Valdosta?" a couple asked. "Yes Mam we did!" I decided not to bring up the California or Nova Scotia trips. There wasn't enough time or enough sausage dog left to get into a really lengthy conversation.

We left there and came east near the FL/GA line over to Greenville, FL where my sister and brother-in-law live in a large log house where the big Hickory Nut and Sycamore trees keep their porch cool. They greeted us with hugs and then cold iced tea and Wade got to visit for a while. Afterwards they retreated into Phils shop to look at his R1200RT with the new Hannigan sidecar rig. Phil liked the way my Hannigan trailer looked and the sidecar is sleek like the trailer, so now my sister doesn't care if it rains or not, she is dry and sits and reads on the trips.

So I'm on the 'new/used' 2007 black LT, oldest son is now on the '99 LT and the youngest son, Daren, is on the 2002 GL-1800. And I can still go give them a friendly pat every now and then.

This morning after breakfast Wade mounted the Gray Ghost and followed his wife and one of their 19 year old twins out the yard. I didn't shed a tear or anything, but I really have enjoyed the 3 years I owned the '99 LT. It served me well and I know that he will enjoy the ride back to Athens, Ga and then every day while he rides it to work. He is known around the Huber Corp. as 'The Iron Man' as he has been riding his '04 Nomad every day, rain or shine or winters in the low 20's. He will do the same on the LT.

This picture is just before he left the yard. By the smile, it would seem he is a Happy Camper now.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Re: Gone But Still in the Family

That's a great story, Tom. I'd say in addition to all those years taking photos you also did some writing!

Nice to know your other LT is still in the family.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Re: Gone But Still in the Family

Howard, thanks for the comments. Not that much writing, but when I do I just talk to myself like somebody was sitting and we were having a conversation. Guess it works.

I did have to do some technical writing in school but then photography took over my life and the last part of school went the way of the wind. I was just out of the AF, married and the son that got the bike had just been born in 1960 so lots of things were happening at one time. Good times though with many wonderful memories of all out kids and good times.

Leaving at 7am in the morning for the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground for a week with 4 other club members to camp and ride the mountains of North Carolina and try and find a little cooler weather at altitude. Wish I was still flying as temp drops -2 per thousand feet and we could get cool. Actually you'd freeze your buns off.

Thanks again and take care Howard

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in