2000 K1200LT How do I charge this thing? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Talking 2000 K1200LT How do I charge this thing?

So I bought a 2000 about a year ago. i haven't had a chance to ride. The thing is quite dead. I need to know how to charge the battery. I was told there is a charge port that I am supposed to use. I won a battery tender and was thinking maybe just use that. But then i thought, how about I ask before I fry any associated electronics. If someone could point me towards a good DIY I would appreciate it. All I can find are products when I search. Thanks.

Hell I'll be happy if someone can tell me how to get the seat removed. I just tried and I feel like I'm going to break this thing.

Last edited by dopefish; Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:04 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 7:29 pm
cws

Garage
Re: 2000 K1200LT How do I charge this thing?

Good chance your battery is toast and you'll need a new one... do a Search using "battery" and you'll get a million hits, maybe also try "Odyssey" as that seems to be a favoured after market battery

To open the seat, open the left side pannier.. there's a knob near the front edge on the indent in the bodywork... pull that out about an inch, it'll release the latch that holds down the back of the riders seat.
Lift the seat up, it's hinged at the front, battery is directly underneath.

Put your tender on it and see if it does any good overnight....
Someone will chime in with better info on batteries and recovery (or non-recovery) I'm sure..

edit: if the tender is a decent one it won't let you swap pos to neg or vice-a-versa... it'll have a warning light.
Just read the instructions that came with it and use the alligator clips to hook directly to the terminals, pos usually has a black cap over it you have to lift out of the way. Or if it has a powerlet plug male end (eg BMW tender), plug that in the power socket near the footpeg.
You shouldn't fry anything.

cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Aug 16th, 2014 at 7:34 pm.
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

OK. Got the seat opened. Previous owner wired a tender terminal to the battery. Battery is dead dead. tender will not start. Any suggestions on what charger I should get? I think I'm going to have to pull the battery and charge it on my bench.

Just saw your reply after posting this. Thanks. Ill look for a battery.

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 7:47 pm

[QUOTE=dopefish;1056969]So I bought a 2000 about a year ago. i haven't had a chance to ride. The thing is quite dead. I need to know how to charge the battery. I was told there is a charge port that I am supposed to use. I won a battery tender and was thinking maybe just use that. But then i thought, how about I ask before I fry any associated electronics. If someone could point me towards a good DIY I would appreciate it. All I can find are products when I search. Thanks.

Hell I'll be happy if someone can tell me how to get the seat removed. I just tried and I feel like I'm going to break this thing.[/QUOT

Open left suit case and at front there is a knob you pull out to release latch, lift rear of front seat while knob pulled out. If the battery has been dead for awhile not likely any good and if you crank it with low voltage you can end up with the starter relay contacts welded together. It is under the gas tank. You can jump start it the same as you would your car.

Hope you have fresh gas in it.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 8:15 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopefish View Post
Previous owner wired a tender terminal to the battery. Battery is dead dead. tender will not start. Any suggestions on what charger I should get? I think I'm going to have to pull the battery and charge it on my bench.
Not exactly sure what your wording means "tender wont start".. whether the tender won't even begin to go through the charge cycle, or whether you tried to start the bike with the tender attached to the dead battery (I hope not )
Good that you'll get a new battery

What I really want to know is... how you can own an LT for a year and not have ridden it!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

The tender won't attempt to charge a battery with less than a 3V current. I'm assuming charging a battery that low is risky.

Did not ride it because I did not feel comfortable riding a bike of that size at my skill level. However I had to buy it for the deal I was getting.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 9:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The tender won't attempt to charge a battery with less than a 3V current. I'm assuming charging a battery that low is risky.

Did not ride it because I did not feel comfortable riding a bike of that size at my skill level. However I had to buy it for the deal I was getting.
Voltage and current aren't the same thing. If the battery has sat for a year and discharged that far, it is toast and should be replaced. A weak battery will cause all sorts of grief with the LT. Save yourself some headache and replace the battery.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The battery that is much below 9v is unlikely to get a charge (pun) from a tender. You might try a 10 amp car charger but ... the battery is gone.

Odyssey is a good battery, but I also like the YT51913-22 Scorpion 12v 255 CCA Sealed AGM Motorcycle Battery from BatteryStuff.com. $89. I don't have any association with these folks, other than being a happy customer.

Motor On ,/'

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 10:44 pm

If you are about saving money, you can get a UB12220 22 amp/hr battery on ebay for 30 or 40 dollars free shipping, fits the LT beautifully. I installed one on my bike last year, and have had no problems with it at all. On another note, if you don't have an owners manual, you might consider finding one to assist you with the controls, buttons, gadgets and gilhickies that abound on the LT, things like the seat release is just the tip of the iceberg. If you are challenged, try to find another LT rider in your area, they would probably be good with coming over and giving you a walk through. Are you planning to ride the bike now? Has you riding experience improved in the last year? To be honest, I came off a 1800 goldwing on to the LT, loved the handling, the ride, but even so, I still had to respect the weight factor, same weight as the goldwing, but a little higher up. The beauty of the bike is that once you get going, the weight just melts away, and the bike is light on the handling and response. If you need to get used to the bike, take it somewhere where you dont have to do a bunch of stopping and tight turning, and slip the clutch, and just go, forget slow and easy, just get moving, when you want to stop, make sure the bike is rolling straight, and apply the brakes, let it stop, and put your feet out. it is heavy, just respect that if the big girl wants to take a nap, step clear, do not try to hold it up, you cant do it! you'll just end up hurting yourself if you do. GOOD LUCK!!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 11:11 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Sounds like you got a great deal and knew what you wanted.... Once you start to get a feel for the LT you'll likely love it... Still think it's the best touring bike out there, and this is the best place to learn how to keep it going!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 2:41 pm

If you have a battery that is completely discharged, but not a bad battery, you can charge it by connecting both your battery charger cables and one of those jumpstarter packs to the battery. If your battery is truly dead, it wil show "charged" relatively quick.

On batteries, the gorram BMW dealer in Charlotte sold me this pos battery at a not pos price, it was toast in 2 years, and I kept it charged all the time. Bought a jel battery on Ebay, the Made in America one, and I hope it will last longer. A good battery should give at least 4-5 years of service. I have a 10 year old battery in my VW TDI.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 3:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My experience, since 2002, is that you will get about three years from a battery on the LT. I fortunate to be able to ride year round so no time sitting on a charger. My first BMW ('85 k100rt) went about 8 years on a Sears diehard lawn tractor battery. Apparently too much drain on the LT to get that life.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in