4Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Tarmac
  • 2 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

Hi Everyone.

Well it was bound to happen. Rear master cylinder OEM brake line blew.

Called various BMW dealers and no one had any Speiglers in stock and the prices were running $245 for the clear covered lines and aluminum fittings and $275 for colored lines and colored fittings.

Also, the price for the dealer to remove, install Speigler SS lines was running close to $900 here in Houston. And not much less if I brought in "The Beast" naked!

Decided pretty quickly that I would do it myself.

Called Spiegler and their rep referred me to Sportbiketrackgear.com. The rep said that I could get the best deal at Sportbiketrackgear.com price wise and probably should get the colored lines and colored fittings at or around $245.

Well much to my surprise, I got the colored lines and colored fittings for $234.95. and free shipping!

And the real deal came when I received my lines and I opened the box!
I also received brand spanking new colored Banjo Bolts for every connection in with the lines and other fittings. All for $234.95. They are bolt heads and not the Hex Head Banjo bolts as the OEM banjo bolts are HEX head.

Thank you Sportbiketrackgear.com.

If any of you are in need of new lines...I would call em up and order.

have a great day

Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 2:34 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

Karl Did you get the new "T" block for the front lines. Lately a few people have gotten new bolts but not the "T" block. The LT kit should NOT have new bolts but should have the "T" block.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 45 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Hi Stevie,

Yes I did. Bolts, washers, T-Block plastic tools...which I didn't need but who knows maybe find a use for them some day.

Guess it was my lucky day....on the bolts and having the T-Block which should be standard in the package.

post #4 of 45 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 7:12 pm

So just how difficult is it to replace all the lines and flush the system? I am putting this on the list of things to this winter... on a scale of one 2 ten.. ten being most difficult.

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
post #5 of 45 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNclebudintx View Post
So just how difficult is it to replace all the lines and flush the system? I am putting this on the list of things to this winter... on a scale of one 2 ten.. ten being most difficult.
It could be a 12 or higher. But take your time, read the documentation available on this site and ask for help and it lower's it dramatically. For me, the hardest part was the bleed (not flush) after installing a line. But following tips offered here, I got it going and then it was just time. Oh and I've got no special mechanical skills, I just read how to do it and then give it a shot.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 45 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

I will be bleeding today.

Replacing the lines were not a big deal at all. Mainly because I had already removed everything...including gas tank..because of other work I was doing on the bike.

These areas are a pain in the buttocks:

1. Upper banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder line. That banjo bolt is located to the right of the rear shock's upper bolt and a little bit behind the frame member. It is mounted to a thin piece of metal that can flex a bit to help it clear the frame member to get the hex tool on it. Pretty easy to remove. A bit tougher to mount the banjo bolt when replacing. Just not enough room for my big fingers. So to make it easier, just remove the rear shock bolts and slide the shock down until you have more room to reattach the line and screw in the banjo bolt.

2. The Front Master Cylinder Line connector and the Front ABS line from the Front Calipers banjo bolt connector. They are both up under the nose cone tupperware. Northern Illinois BMW club video on changing out the lines tell us to remove the front section of the air horn to the air filter box. That helps, but still has you having to drop down and a hard angle to see the connections. Since I had the gas tank off, I also removed the rear piece of the air horn. This opened up that area from the right side at the same height as the connections. I could easily see the connectors and have plenty of room to wrench apart the connections.

3. The next tricky area is the Front Wheel reservoir brake line. And it is not really tricky, you just have to remove part of the hand grip and the upper handlebar cover to get at the brake line and the banjo bolt. You have to remove part of the handgrip to get access to the lock down screw that prevent the reservoir etal from rotating. But you need to rotate it to get the banjo bolt clear of the handlebar for removal and replacement.
And you need to cover your bike with plastic to keep any spilled brake fluid from getting on exposed areas of the bike.

Remember also that on each banjo bolt connection, there is a protruding metal tab to keep the banjo hose fitting from rotating. The metal brake like tube at the banjo fitting, needs to be mounted on the counter clockwise side of the tab. This keep the brake line from rotating and also allows you to torque the connection.

As to bleeding, I will use the Phoenix V-5 system and reverse flush the ABS control module circuits, but reverse flushing at F3 and R3. On my LT these are the 2 long metal tubes that are horizontal. On the 2005 models up, these are called tall bleeders and are now vertical.

I will push fluid from these bleeders through the ABS up to the Front and Rear Reservoirs until I no longer have bubbles of air showing in the lines. This is for the control circuits.

For the wheel circuits, I will push fluid up from the calipers to the reservoirs.

Remember that the handlebar reservoir only services the Front ABS control circuit.

And that the Rear reservoir services both the Wheel circuit and the ABS control circuit, but the two circuits are still independent of each other.

Remember also remove brake fluid from the reservoirs as you push fluid into each system circuit.

Once you are certain that you no longer have air in the system you are good to go and test ride, which will clear the on-dash warning lights if all is well. As to any fault codes that have been thrown in to memory, well if you have a GS-911 tool you can clear the codes or take it to a dealer and pay to have a bleed test performed and any codes cleared.

Jut remember that any remaining codes of low pressure and/or low fluid levels after replacing fluid and bleeding will not prevent the ABS from functioning correctly. Everything will work fine.

I have to acknowledge Jzeiler for all his help in getting me to where I now understand what to do , how to do it and why...and the Northern Illinois BMW club president for his valuable video on replacing the brake lines! thank you all
post #7 of 45 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 5:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you have a GS-911 available it also does the bleed test and the iABS system is self clearing once any fault is corrected.

Thanks Karl, for the great write up of the procedure and what you encountered. I am sure it will help others.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Aug 16th, 2014 at 5:30 pm.
post #8 of 45 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 8:03 pm
cws

Garage

Just to add another tip, TAKE PHOTO"S of each connection before you undo them, then you've got direct reference to how they were originally attached before you forget which was which way.
Trickiest one we found was getting the twist around the top of the footbrake master cylinder the right way... since you are fitting it with the whole unit flipped over from normal position it seems to be twisted around the fixed line. Even with a photo, in the end I had to apply some reverse logic to think how it would fit when in normal position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01efaaa31d7eee29da5f1fe54627ac36a583834cc3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	63049  

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 45 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 12:32 am Thread Starter

I also took photos to help with positioning...Used liquid White out also on some fittings too.

A question that I have....is....What is the purpose of the rear reservoir hose twist around the rear master cylinder hose. It that to protect the rear reservoir hose from being abraded by the driver foot plate cover where the master cylinder is mounted? Or is there another reason?

Thank
Karl

And Thanks John!
post #10 of 45 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 2:25 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbaltz View Post
A question that I have....is....What is the purpose of the rear reservoir hose twist around the rear master cylinder hose. It that to protect the rear reservoir hose from being abraded by the driver foot plate cover where the master cylinder is mounted?
In normal position I don't believe it is twisted around it, it just gets that way when we flop the footplate to work on it. That's what I meant by using reverse logic to figure out its real position.... At least that's my excuse

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 45 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

I still just wonder if it makes any difference...As long as the reservoir hose is not being pinched or kinked to make it collapse....is it really that important...because there is not anything immediately behind the cover plate where the hoses come out the top to rub on either hose.

I need enlightenment! or at least a candle! lol
post #12 of 45 Old Oct 29th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Karl - Thanks for the Speigler source and write up. I just ordered my kit and V5 reverse bleeder for this winter's teardown and maintenance.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #13 of 45 Old Oct 31st, 2014, 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=jzeiler;1056945]If you have a GS-911 available it also does the bleed test and the iABS system is self clearing once any fault is corrected.QUOTE]

I have read and re-read the many posts and write-ups on bleeding Integral ABS brakes before I start the brake line replacement. My bike is a 2003 so that is the early Integral ABS generation. I've read that after bleeding it should be tested either by the dealer on a MoDiTeC or on a GS-911. The closest dealer is 100 miles away so that's out. I don't have a GS-911 so my question is do I really need to do the GS-911 bleed test, or if I do a good bleed to get all the air out and all faults clear can I say I'm done?

Jim
post #14 of 45 Old Oct 31st, 2014, 2:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bottom line is if you have no warning lights after you complete the bleed and the brakes feel good you are OK. The bleed test is just a sanity check. If you have air in the system to any great extent it will throw a fault. I had been flushing for 7 years before the 911 had the ability to do the check. Never had it fail since either even after brake line replacement.
Razmataz likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #15 of 45 Old Oct 31st, 2014, 3:10 pm

Thanks, John. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

Jim
post #16 of 45 Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 3:49 pm

John,

I can be a bit thick headed at times, and I want to ensure I correctly understand clearing an ABS fault indication. The fault indication will clear itself automatically without a GS-911 or dealer reset if the ABS problem was successfully corrected? I was under the impression once a fault indication was tripped, it required a dealer or GS-911 reset to clear it.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #17 of 45 Old Nov 3rd, 2014, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
John,

I can be a bit thick headed at times, and I want to ensure I correctly understand clearing an ABS fault indication. The fault indication will clear itself automatically without a GS-911 or dealer reset if the ABS problem was successfully corrected? I was under the impression once a fault indication was tripped, it required a dealer or GS-911 reset to clear it.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
It depends on year of K1200LT as they have very different ABS unit (2 types).

A fault will clear on every ignition ON (just before ABS diag sequence) ONLY for models equipped with IABS (ABS with servos). For the USA market, this includes all 2002-2009 and some late 2001 models.

For earlier K1200 equipped with ABSII unit (also called ABS2), faults will need to be cleared from ABS unit once cause is fixed as it stays in a static memory. This can be done either by: (1) dealers computer (2) GS911 (3) a manual method using Pin 21 on ABS connector.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #18 of 45 Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 10:24 am

So over the holidays I tore the bike down to replace fluids, O2 sensor and brake lines. The Speigler brake lines are installed and yesterday I reverse bled the wheel and control circuits until all fluids looked clear and bubble free. However, there is still no pedal / lever resistance so I know I'm not done with bleeding. Next I will forward bleed, hopefully pumping out the remaining air especially from the control circuits. I'll use the servo pumps for the wheel circuits that worked well for me last time I flushed. Any thoughts from those who've gone down this path?

Thanks, Jim

Jim
post #19 of 45 Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 11:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Replaced my lines this year too. Lever was the easiest, fluid just ran down and out. Wheel circuits are easy because of the pump. Keep an eye on that reservoir or funnel! The pedal control circuit took a few attempts both forward and reverse and forward reverse again. Bleeder bag makes everything much easier.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #20 of 45 Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 1:08 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG View Post
So over the holidays I tore the bike down to replace fluids, O2 sensor and brake lines. The Speigler brake lines are installed and yesterday I reverse bled the wheel and control circuits until all fluids looked clear and bubble free. However, there is still no pedal / lever resistance so I know I'm not done with bleeding. Next I will forward bleed, hopefully pumping out the remaining air especially from the control circuits. I'll use the servo pumps for the wheel circuits that worked well for me last time I flushed. Any thoughts from those who've gone down this path?

Thanks, Jim
Jim - Just replaced mine and bled the system. I didn't reverse bleed anything - I don't have the tool for that. I did use a Speedbleeder bag and kept the bag elevated. Bled the control circuits by going through the 1-2-3-1 bleeder sequence. Then moved on to the wheel circuits. Again keeping the bleeder bag elevated so the air bubbles go up into the bag instead of sitting at the bleeder. I did bleed the wheel circuits without the servos first to get the majority of air out. The I used the servos to pump though plenty of brake fluid (required a second trip to the auto parts store since I ran out ).

I have access to a GS-911. Hooked that up and ran though the ABS test and it passed.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #21 of 45 Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 5:33 pm

alabrew and rdepas, Thanks for your inputs. I forward bled the front & rear control circuits using the long horizontal bleeders, F3 & R3. Pedal / lever feel is now as firm as before the brake line change-out. The rear control circuit took much more flushing to eliminate the very fine bubbles.

The wheel circuits were easy using the servo pumps and connecting a tube from the reservoir cap to fresh brake fluid to replenish what is being pumped through - see photo. I learned this nifty trick here, but thought it worth repeating.

It seems most write ups deal with the newer iABS than I have (2003). Question: I did not flush the cross channels through F1, F2, R1 and R2. Opinions if this is needed? Accessing these nipples will require special tools I don't have (yet).

It will be awhile before I get everything back together to road test, but if I need to address bleeding cross channels I need to start thinking about this.

Thanks to everyone on this great forum - it makes intimidating procedures doable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bleeding rear wheel circuit.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	71545  

Jim
post #22 of 45 Old Jan 4th, 2015, 8:06 am

Jim,

According to the manual bleeding iABS circuits R1, R2, F1 & F2 is every 2 year service. You're in this deep, why not? I was asking myself the same question and decided to do it, attached is photo of the "special tool" I had made.

Works like a charm, although being a ratchet you have to remember to throw the ratchet direction lever as soon as you open the circuit so you can then close it quickly.

Luckily I had a pneumatic vacuum bleeder I was using with the "funnel" and a reservoir filling attachment which made the entire process easier.

$7 for the wrench, $2.99 for the ratchet extension, $13 for the beer, best $23 I spent all year, and I got to drink some of the beer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMWspecialTools.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	917.4 KB
ID:	71553  

Regards,
Boots
IBA#50871

Come ride with me;

2006 R12GS 100K miles, current ride
1972 R60/5 Toaster 44K miles, current ride
2002 K12LTE 58K miles, SOLD
post #23 of 45 Old Jan 4th, 2015, 9:59 pm

Thanks Boots - It looks like I'll be making up those tools - I already have the beer!

Jim
post #24 of 45 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 9:29 am

Best part of the Spiegler line change is the fantastic strong braking feel. Not sure why, if it is just in my head, but the brakes work much better easier to pull.
post #25 of 45 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 9:14 pm

+1 on the Spiegler brake lines.
Just completed install today.
Only issue was getting handle bar cover back on. Two hours later I bent the metal part of the hose 1/8" so it would clear the screw for the bar cover.
Used up all my cursing bank on that one!;~)
tvguy likes this.

Wayne
"We ought never do wrong when anyone is looking" Mark Twain

post #26 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 4:21 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
+1 on the Spiegler brake lines.
Just completed install today.
Only issue was getting handle bar cover back on. Two hours later I bent the metal part of the hose 1/8" so it would clear the screw for the bar cover.
Used up all my cursing bank on that one!;~)
I had to do the same with my Spiegler fitting going to the handle bar mounted reservoir. I hadn't read about folks in the past needing to do this. I wonder if Spiegler is not bending them enough at the factory lately.

post #27 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 4:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
I had to do the same with my Spiegler fitting going to the handle bar mounted reservoir. I hadn't read about folks in the past needing to do this. I wonder if Spiegler is not bending them enough at the factory lately.
Ditto!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #28 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 8:09 pm
r75

Thumbs down Re: Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

Had the same problem last year. Called spiegler, sent pictures of factory configuration and their bend after install, they were dilligaff. I guess their jig must be off. I wound up leaving that scew off the cover.

Bill
1999 K1200LT
2002 K1200RS
post #29 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 11:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I actually used my Dremel to grind out a bigger hole in the handlebar bracket so the top piece could be screwed back onto the bottom piece near the reservoir.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #30 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 11:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I had absolutely no issues when I installed that line. I was warned that it maybe difficult to line up so I checked the alignment before I torqued it and it went right into place. The second one I installed on another bike went just as easy.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #31 of 45 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 7:22 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I had absolutely no issues when I installed that line. I was warned that it maybe difficult to line up so I checked the alignment before I torqued it and it went right into place. The second one I installed on another bike went just as easy.
I had checked the alignment multiple times too. It always hit the bracket. Used a tubing bender I had from installing stainless lines on a Jeep and just gave the fitting a little more bend and everything fell right into place as it should.

post #32 of 45 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 2:49 pm

I just installed my set of Speigler lines last month and everything lined up nicely. Weird.

Jim
post #33 of 45 Old Feb 28th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Question Re: Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

Hi guys,

I am starting to dismantle the 2005 LT this week and will be changing the brake lines. Some questions? I looked over the writing by a few guys like John Z and others that have done this procedure on their bikes. One thing I am stuck on, is the ABS system procedure. Once I have changed the lines and start the reverse procedure with the Phoenix Brake Bled system, how do I do the abs system? I have bled the abs before but never reversed the procedure and what do I do with the funnel? do I use this or not? How?

Any one with the procedure for the abs please let me know, this is the part I am stuck with trying to understand how to do it. Pictures would be appreciated!!
This is a 2005 LT !!
Regards,

Don
post #34 of 45 Old Feb 28th, 2015, 4:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the word version (with pics) of my rev 4 brake line change write up). It is too big to post here and I can't do a PDF version until Monday.

But the reverse part of the bleed is done because there is still fluid in the ABS control circuit when you change the lines. Also those lines are all higher than the ABS. By pre-filling the tall bleeder you ensure there will be no air introduced with the reverse pump. You end up pushing new fluid through the ABS control "guts" and out the hard pipe to the new, empty line going up to the handle bar reservoir. You stop once you have that reservoir full.

The rear is a different story since the ABS is above all the lines you cannot do a reverse flush (at least I couldn't). So a conventional bleed of the three ports is in order here for the control circuit.

For the wheel circuits, once you install the lines you can just install the funnel and fill it while you pump away to the calipers until all the air bubbles are gone. Some what like you did with the flush only there will be air bubbles. I did push fluid up to the hard line connection for the front lines. I just left the banjo fitting up there on the frame loose until I saw fluid seeping and then tightened it up. I still had to do additional bleeding as it did not pass the bleed test with the GS-911 unit. But I only got one small bubble out and then it passed.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #35 of 45 Old Feb 28th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Thanks John, PM sent
post #36 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2015, 7:47 am

Be careful reverse bleeding the front control circuit and cover the reservoir hole with a quarter or else the fluid will shoot out hard enough to hit the ceiling! Don't ask me how I know. The reverse bleeder can also make a mess at the fittings you attach the hose to.

After reverse bleeding I still needed to forward bleed like normal to reach normal resistance in the hand or foot levers. With all the hassles I had reverse bleeding, I doubt I would do it that way again.

Jim
post #37 of 45 Old Mar 1st, 2015, 8:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
After reverse bleeding I still needed to forward bleed like normal to reach normal resistance in the hand or foot levers. With all the hassles I had reverse bleeding, I doubt I would do it that way again.
The feed back and feel of the control circuits will be different with the key off (residual braking) and with the key on. And yes reverse bleeding was not all I thought is would be either but I will still do it in places it makes sense. But I never had to further bleed the front control circuit and it passed the bleed test. The wheel circuit did not pass and I had to get one more tiny bubble out of a caliper before it would pass.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #38 of 45 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 8:23 am

Guys;

I can see there are numerous comments about the reverse bleeding procedure.

Question: what if I changed all the lines and just did a standard flush as done in the video DVD that John Z. did? Would this be the easiest way to do the line change? I still bleed the abs on the 2005, which I have done over the years on the bike with little to no problems.

I still have a few reservations on this procedure for the abs on the 2005 lt, can you say SCARED !!

Regards,

Don
post #39 of 45 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:02 am

Don, My 2003 has a different ABS module and reservoir location as your 2005 but functionally I think they are similar. Reverse bleeding the front control circuit pushes fluid upwards, so that makes sense (be careful as I mentioned before!), but I still needed to forward bleed the front master cylinder. I see no benefit in reverse bleeding the rear control circuit since the master cylinder is at the low point. That took the longest to bleed thoroughly (first reverse, then forward). I forward bled F1, F2, F3, R1, R2, R3 on the ABS module a couple of times in that sequence. The wheel circuits I first reverse bled, then forward bled using the servo pumps. I worry about reverse bleeding the wheel circuits since you are pushing contaminates towards the ABS module, but maybe I'm wrong on that point. In the end I used almost a complete large container of brake fluid and had normal lever / pedal feel and no ABS faults during the test ride, so I think I got it right.

So, to answer your question I would only forward bleed if I were to do it again. Other opinions may vary.

Jim

Last edited by Jim_McG; Mar 3rd, 2015 at 11:17 am.
post #40 of 45 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 4:34 pm

Talking Re: Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

Thanks Jim, I think because I am a little thick headed, and really don't understand the procedure enough with reverse bleeding, I think I might just change the lines and bleed the way I normally do the job. If it does not work I will be asking a lot of questions!!

Regards,
Don

Quote:
Don, My 2003 has a different ABS module and reservoir location as your 2005 but functionally I think they are similar. Reverse bleeding the front control circuit pushes fluid upwards, so that makes sense (be careful as I mentioned before!), but I still needed to forward bleed the front master cylinder. I see no benefit in reverse bleeding the rear control circuit since the master cylinder is at the low point. That took the longest to bleed thoroughly (first reverse, then forward). I forward bled F1, F2, F3, R1, R2, R3 on the ABS module a couple of times in that sequence. The wheel circuits I first reverse bled, then forward bled using the servo pumps. I worry about reverse bleeding the wheel circuits since you are pushing contaminates towards the ABS module, but maybe I'm wrong on that point. In the end I used almost a complete large container of brake fluid and had normal lever / pedal feel and no ABS faults during the test ride, so I think I got it right.

So, to answer your question I would only forward bleed if I were to do it again. Other opinions may vary.
post #41 of 45 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 5:41 pm

It's hard to say if my reverse bleeding steps were really needed but I think a thorough forward bleed will work just as well and is much neater. I started to distain the Phoenix Reverse Bleeder Kit since the rubber hose ends did not grip the bleeder fittings tight enough and would leak brake fluid as you pumped it, making a mess at the wheel calipers and ABS module. I thought the kit was marginal quality.

Good luck!

Jim
post #42 of 45 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 7:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Remember the video I did was for a flush where there is never any air introduced. A bleed takes all the air out so you have to do a bit more but it is no more complicated than the flush. During the flush you pumped until clean fluid was present, for the bleed you pump until no air bubbles are present. You just have to do that with each of the three ports for each control circuit. I would do each one at least twice just to make sure all the air is out.

For the wheel circuits is it the same as the flush only you pump until the air bubbles are gone. One port per front caliper and two on the rear caliper. Unless you have a GS-911 to perform the bleed test (and it is very sensitive). Bleed again to ensure no more air bubbles are present.

The control circuits should go pretty easy but if you have issues with the wheel circuits run a long hose from the caliper back to the reservoir and just key on and pump away. This will recycle the fluid until all air is gone.
jers99lt and Jim_McG like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #43 of 45 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Red face Re: Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

John,

If I change all the lines, I think the flush should work as per the dvd? I could always do bleed after to make sure no air is left.
Just trying to make thinks easier to understand.
I will do the bleed at the abs ports also after the flush when I try the bleeding.
Don

Quote:
Remember the video I did was for a flush where there is never any air introduced. A bleed takes all the air out so you have to do a bit more but it is no more complicated than the flush. During the flush you pumped until clean fluid was present, for the bleed you pump until no air bubbles are present. You just have to do that with each of the three ports for each control circuit. I would do each one at least twice just to make sure all the air is out.

For the wheel circuits is it the same as the flush only you pump until the air bubbles are gone. One port per front caliper and two on the rear caliper. Unless you have a GS-911 to perform the bleed test (and it is very sensitive). Bleed again to ensure no more air bubbles are present.

The control circuits should go pretty easy but if you have issues with the wheel circuits run a long hose from the caliper back to the reservoir and just key on and pump away. This will recycle the fluid until all air is gone.
post #44 of 45 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 2:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

... and the video/DVD can be obtained, how? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #45 of 45 Old Mar 4th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Thumbs up Re: Speigler SS Brake Lines for LT

I got mine from John at one of the CCR's but maybe you can email John Z and see if he has any left.

Great video and it shows step by step the whole procedure and easy to follow.
I would recommend it for anyone who needs to flush the system on the LT's.

Regards,

Bowdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
... and the video/DVD can be obtained, how? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Jer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in