Noisy Brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Noisy Brakes

I recently replaced the brake pads on my 99 k1200lt with ebc hh sintered pads. I replaced them the same way I always do on my cars, coated the backs with a stop squeak spray and for some reason I still get alot of screaching from them. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do to correct this? Have the same pads on my Vulcan 2000 and haven't had a single issue with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Noisy Brakes

If you still have the stock rear rotor that is the source of the noise. I tried organic and sintered pads and until I tossed the stock rotor for an EBC rotor I had noise.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I got new BMW brake pads and it stooped school bus brakes.
Got a new BMW Rotor and it stopped the cow bell.
After a second set of BMW pads still no squeal.
YMMV

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 14th, 2014, 11:53 pm Thread Starter

I replaced the stock rotor for the EBC one on the rear, still have the stock on the front. took the rears apart and re coated them, and it seems to be working. The fronts are still loud after re coating them a second time. They work, just a little embarrassing at the red lights!
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 12:49 am

I did this procedure when I installed EBD HH pads on the rear (stock rotor) & it quieted them right down.

Instructions here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

No sticky stuff..... no grease.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Last edited by rhawk; Aug 15th, 2014 at 12:50 am. Reason: add on
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
I did this procedure when I installed EBD HH pads on the rear (stock rotor) & it quieted them right down.

Instructions here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

No sticky stuff..... no grease.
Sounds good, only where the heck can this be accomplished? I know of nowhere that I can accelerate to 60 and decelerate rinse and repeat without ending up with a cage up my rump or seriously breaking the speed limit. Maybe it's different in other states, but in AZ if there is a road that gets virtually no traffic, has multiple lanes in the event of any traffic, and few lights / intersections, the speed limit is usually about 35 - #@&! speed traps

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour View Post
Sounds good, only where the heck can this be accomplished? I know of nowhere that I can accelerate to 60 and decelerate rinse and repeat without ending up with a cage up my rump or seriously breaking the speed limit. Maybe it's different in other states, but in AZ if there is a road that gets virtually no traffic, has multiple lanes in the event of any traffic, and few lights / intersections, the speed limit is usually about 35 - #@&! speed traps
It called country. Get out there and enjoy the view.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #8 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 11:32 am

I bedded in my brakes in an industrial area, at night, on the way home from work. Rotors turned a nice grey color.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
It called country. Get out there and enjoy the view.
I guess I didn't adequately express my frustration that the only roads out in the outskirts capable of supporting this kind of activity around here are all speed traps. I think heat makes people stupid, this state is covered with 2-lane, narrow, poorly maintained roads that are 65mph and busy as heck, and 4-lane wide roads made of glass-smooth asphalt that nobody drives on with speed limits of 35 - 45 mph.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You don't even need to get out of first gear to get to 60 mph (red line at 62). Just tell the cop your throttle stuck and you had no idea how fast you were going in first gear. Too busy trying to get it under control.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 8:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Anti-seize compound on the metal backs of the pads and where the pad backs contact the retainer pins may help as well.

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Anti-seize compound on the metal backs of the pads and where the pad backs contact the retainer pins may help as well.
I agree, I started using this method 25 years ago on Honda cars that just would not stop squealing after they outlawed asbestos. It also helped Mercedes that were loud. From then on I used it on everything.
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 11:31 am

Just a thought. I always use Copper Paste to lightly coat the back of new pads and never had a squawk. A small tube, while expensive will last a lifetime.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in