iABS (ABS3) Reset following bleed. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2014, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

iABS (ABS3) Reset following bleed.

So I was able to pick up a used ABS unit and got it installed in my 2006 K1200 LT. It works great and I have now bled the static and the wheel circuits. The brakes function fine and there is no longer the high frequency error light/triangle on the dash. There IS still a low frequency Brake Failure light that in reading sounds like just a residual error that needs reset. i have not put the bike all back together because and am hesitant to do so until I know the issue is resolved.

I did read somewhere about the ABS error light not going off until the bike is actually ridden. is this correct? If not, is there a procedure to clear the error on the later model ABS systems>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 12:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: iABS (ABS3) Reset following bleed.

Your ABS self-checks every time you ride it. There will be a warning lamp until it "sees" the bike moving. No, you can't just spin the wheels to fool it, if that thought happened to cross your mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Dean,

Thanks so much for the info, I had read that this was a possibility, but didn't want to sped the time putting things all back together only to have to tear it all back apart. I'll get things put back together enough to take it around the block. I noticed you are in Topeka. I'm in Lawrence, so thanks from a local!

Last edited by pricebri; Aug 13th, 2014 at 12:01 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 12:44 pm

If you really wanted to check that the check light goes out before putting it back together, it is possible to do so on the centerstand. It is a little risky though. With the bike on the centerstand, raise the front wheel to just clear the ground and support the bike like that. Make sure the rear wheel is free to rotate with sufficient clearance to prevent any posisbility of touching the ground. Start the engine, select first gear and allow the rear wheel to run. Then give the front a good spin by hand, and the check light should go off. Mine does.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Why can't you test-drive the bike without fairings? I do.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 5:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like I stand corrected, and Andr'e is a wild-man. I presumed the ABS looked at the relative speed of both wheels. Maybe not. I live just east of Lake Shawnee, if you're familiar with Topeka at all. Used to live in Lawrence many years ago.

post #7 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Perhaps I should add a disclaimer: "Don't try this at home!" It also works on a 2004 R1100S and a 2005 K1200S, so I assume it may work on all with the servo system. But extreme caution is advisable: if the rear wheel touches the ground while under power, the bike may jump off the centerstand with unpleasant consequences.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Looks like I stand corrected, and Andr'e is a wild-man. I presumed the ABS looked at the relative speed of both wheels. Maybe not. I live just east of Lake Shawnee, if you're familiar with Topeka at all. Used to live in Lawrence many years ago.
Dean , Andres,

On IABS, to finish the pull-away test, I had always assumed that the system is looking for rotation of both wheels and at some similar speed. BUT, based on Andres post, it is quite possible that any rotation up to a certain speed or distance (as published in owners's guide) is good enough to satisfy the pull-away test completion.

However, until proven otherwise, I still believe that later on, once you attain a certain minimum speed, a rotation of both wheel (within a tight percentage of each-other) is needed to avoid an ABS fault. When I have time I will test following:
(1) go for a very short ride and let the ABS finish its pull-away test (will attain at least 30 mph)
(2) will park on center stand and let engine run (so that ABS is not re-init)
(3) with belly fairing already removed, I will install a suitable device under engine sump to support rear and front wheel in the air. At that point, I will re-try Andres procedure of 1st gear and front wheel rotation.

Step 3 should generate a fault, but I suspect that the IABS system does not care about rotation until a certain minimum speed is attained by the rear wheel (speed data based on rear wheel ABS-sensor).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Aug 13th, 2014 at 9:28 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in