Too much noise, is it from Tupperware? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Too much noise, is it from Tupperware?

Hi all, I seem to notice too much noise from my LT. It is a mixture of tupperware and engine noise. Anybody have an idea on how to minimize this? I know my girl is old(1999), but this noise makes riding a torture, not fun.

Thanks in advance Gents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Re: Too much noise, is it from Tupperware?

Hmmm...
Tupperware... I guess the only thing would be to take it all apart.
Make sure that the fasteners are there, replace all the rubber mounted ones (I'm doing it on mine) and put the ones that are missing.
There might be some broken tabs on the fairing, not sure how to fix that, maybe using some foam tape to minimize noise?

Regarding the engine. Have you adjusted the valves? Is your timing chain ok? That could get noise.

Also, your rear brake disk probably is making noises. I've read elsewhere a fix using gasket maker to minimize the noise. Mine just started doing that, I'll be using rubber hoses on the screws to minimize the noise. Or something like that.

... you got yourself a fun project. ...
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 1:47 pm

A fair amount will be engine, however a couple tupperware things to check are:
  • Where the lower and upper cowling meet
  • at the front, the lower cover could be contacting the cooling system hose
  • Try raising and lowering your windshiled (to see if there is a difference between when it is in contact with the bumpers and not). My z-Technik must be tuned like a bell to the engine vibration at idle, if I raise it off the bumpers very little noise but fully lowered it gets louder and louder the longer it sets - it's like some sort of sonic weapon!
  • Inside the tupperware there may be hoses, wires, and throttle cables in contact with the tupperware. I have also put foam tape along any point where the bracket support sits inside of a dished out area of tupperware.
  • Make sure no screws are missing.
  • Check for damage to the engine protection bars - this might be causing the covers to not line up where they need to causing a rattle. These are heavy bikes and if it has ever been laid over on it's side, even while not moving, it's possible that something is a little tweaked in there.
  • Check the exhaust system, there is a history of cracks at the welds and or the header bolts might be loose or broken.

That should keep you busy for a couple hours, if I think of anything else I will add to the list.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2000 BMW R1200C

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 3:06 pm

I found my 99LT motor to be pretty quiet but it got loud after about 5,000 rpm. The only part of the tupperware that made noise was the radio cover. I hope you can solve the issue so you can enjoy your ride.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2014, 3:28 am Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick reply guys. I will start searching for the route cause.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 9:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Between the top and bottom front tupperware, on the outer side where they meet at a point (front), I place a narrow strip of foam to separate them. That has solved a very loud rattle for me.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 10:12 am Thread Starter

Hi, finally I lifted the bike, rolled the wheels and guess what???

The final drive bearing had a light hauling noise. Removed the fd oil to find some fine metal flakes powder on the magnetic plug. Later opened the fd and noticed that the big bearing balls cage was blued out(heated) at two points 1 inch long.
From this point I'm starting a new thread "FD problem".
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 27th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Get a FD drive off eBay from a reputable vendor.
and be happy... the FDs are supposed to be serviceable... or be happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in