Mirror Remounting Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Mirror Remounting Help

Gents,

Noob question. The left and right mirrors popped off easily with a sharp whack, but now they are giving me a headache remounting them. I removed them, so I know they must go back on. The attachment clips on the mirrors don't want to align with the ball mounts. Both sides are giving me problems. What procedure or technique do you all use when remounting the mirrors?

Thanks,

Rob
Navarre, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Re: Mirror Remounting Help

they should line up and just push on, what condition is the plastic frame work holding the clips, they do crack and break

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Nothing special, just line up the rear and pop it on, then go to the front and be careful. If they are exceedingly hard to get on you could put a light coat of grease on the mounting balls to make things slip in place a little easier.

I assume that you have installed some kind of tethering for the mirrors? If not, do so prior to reinstallation. Several options for that and several threads on the subject in the search.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
2000 BMW R1200C

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:58 pm

As stated by Steve, put some grease on the balls (of the mirror mount)...seems counter intuitive, but it helps the clips seat better on the balls....teather, teather, teather.....don't omit this teather thing...first time one pops off at speed, and is destroyed, you will hate yourself for not doing it!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

I read about the light coat of grease when reviewing older mirror threads. The previous owner had the mirrors tethered. As for the clips and backing plate, they look like the mirrors were removed multiple times in its 14 year history, but everything appears functional.

I'll give it another try. I just finished the low beam HID modification and installed a set of PIAAs. The mirrors are keeping me from riding.

Rob

Navarre, FL
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2014, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Okay, I went out with a fresh perspective after the replies on how the mirror clips align with ball mounting studs. When reinstalling the Tupperware, I had installed the mounting studs in the wrong location...DUH! The learning curve is a steep one on my first ever Tupperware reinstall.

The left mirror nicely mounted; however, the right side mirror is now causing me issues. The top and bottom mounts secure to the clips at the same time, but when I attempt to mount the single one, the two pop off of the clips. I can mount the bottom and forward clip, but when I attempt to mount the top clip, the other two pop out of their clips.

Any suggestions on how to get all three clips to hold at once? I feel as though I am about to break the mirror with the whacks from my palm. Besides, my palm is taking a beating.

Thanks again,

Rob
Navarre, FL
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Rob,

Make sure tethers are not mounted in a way that they interfere with mounting. Tethers attach to the bike in to the recessed area where there is a single screw.
Also sometimes there are a couple washers that go on to the ball mounts to bring them out a slight amount for proper fitment.

Good luck,
Chris

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2014, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Chris. I think the tether was causing me some issue early on, but I rerouted the wire without success. The overall problem was cracked plastic at the forward mounting clip. Thus, the clip couldn't keep tension around the ball stud and would pop off. I added multiple washers to the studs and was able to get all three clips to mount securely, but there is a gap between the mirror and the nose cone. Its not pretty, but it will hold. In the meantime, I ordered some Q-Bond that I saw posted earlier and have been looking at the Max BMW parts microfiche. I hope the Q-Bond works.

Rob
Navarre, FL
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 7:51 am

Rob,
There is also another trick some have used. JB Weld epoxy and mix in steel wool fibers for shear strength. Have not tried it myself but other swear by the fix if Q bond doesn't hold. Tried just JB weld and not luck by itself. Replaced the part.

Other fix is replacing the part of the housing with the spring clips part #51 16 7 670 952 right side cap in chrome. Would possibly need the mirror adjuster 51 16 2 347 188 as they tend to break sometimes when trying to remove the mirror.

65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

BMWMOA # 189093
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 8:11 am

I think what helped me was the confidence to really hit the mirror into place with my palm. At first I was scared of breaking the mirror, now I just pound away. Sometimes, like couple other guys said, the tether gets in the way.

Keep learning these tricky quirks of the bike!

Dave
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Thanks Chris. I think the tether was causing me some issue early on, but I rerouted the wire without success. The overall problem was cracked plastic at the forward mounting clip. Thus, the clip couldn't keep tension around the ball stud and would pop off. I added multiple washers to the studs and was able to get all three clips to mount securely, but there is a gap between the mirror and the nose cone. Its not pretty, but it will hold. In the meantime, I ordered some Q-Bond that I saw posted earlier and have been looking at the Max BMW parts microfiche. I hope the Q-Bond works.

Rob
Navarre, FL
drill some very small holes an both sides of the crack, lace it with fine wire for strength, then apply whatever glue or epoxy you trust, I have repaired mine that way along with others, there are threads on mirror repairing

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 13th, 2014, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the part numbers. I wasn't quite sure what part it was in the microfiche. I hope the Q-Bond holds, but I like Gary's idea of using fine wire with a couple small holes in conjunction with the Q-Bond. I took her on a short ride tonight that had a few rough bits in the pavement, and the mirror held. I wonder if the mirror will hold if it has a good jar at speed though.

As for learning tricks, I definitely learned one when replacing the Tupperware - start from the back under seat location for the initial screw hole alignment and work your way forward.

Thanks for the help,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2014, 9:17 pm

I broke at least two mirror mount tabs by frequent removal.
I took the 3 studs and polished them down by at least one mm. Now not only easier to snap the mirror back into place but it's easier to remove without unduly stressing the wire clips.
I have yet to have a mirror pop off, even when hitting potholes--which we have plenty of in Wisconsin. Take too much off and the mirror will rattle.
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2014, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Okay, I attempted the safety wire and Q-Bond repair with no success. I'm departing in a week for Wisconsin, and I don't feel confident the mirror will remain attached if a rough section of road is encountered. I'm sure I'll find a couple good bumps in the 2000+ mile journey. The back two clips are on tight, but the front one is questionable. Thus, I bit the bullet and bought a new bracket with clips and adjustment nut from Max BMW. How difficult is it to remove the old mirror bracket and install the new one? Any lessons learned?

Thanks,

Rob, Navarre FL
2000LT
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 18th, 2014, 9:03 am

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=mirror+broken

Rob,

There are two methods of removing the mirror. One is to pry using screw two drivers and second is the slam method. Have done both. Sometimes the slam method will break the adjuster cup which I believe you purchased. If adjuster cup breaks it may leave adjuster ring behind and you will need to remove from rear of mirror before re-installing new.

Explanation described in this post above See # 39 and 41.

Good luck.

Hope this helps,
Chris

65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

BMWMOA # 189093
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in