sound/intercom moving on from bmw - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2014, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Talking sound/intercom moving on from bmw

I have decided to move on from the stuff that came with my 09 to something that better meets my farkle needs. I am adding the following:

1. Jensen JMS2212 with ipod and sirius
2. Autocom superpro with bluetooth module

The control head for the JMS will be added like this thread (great thread)
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69380. I will be locating the "guts" of the JMS to the right saddlebag along with some other toys. I will place the sirus radio in the same saddlebag. I have bought the ipod cable for the jms and will run it to the oddment box. I am still deciding where to locate the autocom box have seen it under rear seat but I am wondering if it should go in the saddlebag? Same thing for the bluetooth module. Bluetooth will interface with my zumo 390 and smartphone to the zumo....

Anybody want to share where they put their autocom?

Special plans for the oddment box going to install some of my ham gear in it...for fun with plenty of room left over for the ipod and smartphone...

Second part of the thread. Once completed I am going to have some spare parts left over and was wondering if there is interest in them if so I will add them to the classified sections. I did buy some spare parts to set everything up prior to taking off the existing stingray.... Like to keep riding while I am doing this project.

I will have the following:

1. radio and harness from 2002 k1200. If interest I will add some pictures. No way to test however the insides are clean and was taken from a salvage bike.

2. The "guts" of the control panel for the radio which for the 2002 includes the LCD display. Used the plastic case as a template to make the conversion for the JMS. It is clean with no signs of leaks.

3. From my current LT I will have a working bmw radio. There is nothing wrong with the radio rather the harness seems to have the problems right now. From a 2009 LT

4. The "guts" of the control panel for the radio for the 2009 LT It is clean with no signs of leaks.

5. Voice II working from my existing 2009 LT. Unfortunately the Voice II just does not meet my farkle needs.....

6. Not sure if I want to sell the radio harness from the existing LT as I may want to use it to make the JMS harness. Course you kinda need it for the Voice II

Have some other bits and pieces for the stringray from several bikes.

Thanks for all the info in the forums! Great help and inspiration on keeping my LT running. Wish I had all this info back when I bought my first one in 1999! Would have kept the bike a little longer.... Very happy with the 2009!

Tom

(yes I know pictures pictures will take some and add them as project progresses although the thread I referenced is pretty complete.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Re: sound/intercom moving on from bmw

I have not done any of this transformation....yet. I do, however, think over what I might do if/when the time comes. I would consider placing the Autocom in the new space created in the oddiments box as there are tuning controls that would quite a hassle to adjust if placed under the back seat. Just a thought.....

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 9th, 2014, 11:33 pm

I did that mod on my '99 right after the 2212 came out and it was well worth the effort as you have loads of input music and it sounds great. But within a year I had some head problems and Jensen in their vast knowledge base decided it probably had something to do with it being mounted on a motorcycle and would not replace, so I just bought another one and installed it. My thoughts to them were, "Hey, you make Marine radios and electronics. Salt water boats bounce around and it all gets salt spray and what can be more destructive than that. I'm sure the dealer in Florida had that "1,000 yard stare" on his face as he stared into the phone. Whatever. I like the one I have on the '99 but I would not deal with Jensen again.

I have the Sirius module mounted on the face of the trunk behind the rear seat out of the way. That is a nice alternative to FM music now days in the south. It also has the USB port and I just plug in a Jump drive for all else.

But I can't imagine your reasoning for doing it in an '09 unless that radio broke. I love the radio and VOICE II in my 'new/used 2007. I just would like to install my J&M 2003 CB radio on the '07 like I had on the '99, but J&M tells me it won't interface with the VOICE II system.

Good luck with all that you are doing on your '09 as it really sounds like a project.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Last edited by tconnell; Aug 9th, 2014 at 11:40 pm.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 8:47 am Thread Starter

I had considered the in the oddments box will have to measire and see if there is enough room on top of one of my ham radios..... Good suggestion though. If it does not fit will end up with it in the saddlebag or as I will call it the electronics bay.....

Tom
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
I did that mod on my '99 right after the 2212 came out and it was well worth the effort as you have loads of input music and it sounds great. But within a year I had some head problems and Jensen in their vast knowledge base decided it probably had something to do with it being mounted on a motorcycle and would not replace, so I just bought another one and installed it. My thoughts to them were, "Hey, you make Marine radios and electronics. Salt water boats bounce around and it all gets salt spray and what can be more destructive than that. I'm sure the dealer in Florida had that "1,000 yard stare" on his face as he stared into the phone. Whatever. I like the one I have on the '99 but I would not deal with Jensen again.

I have the Sirius module mounted on the face of the trunk behind the rear seat out of the way. That is a nice alternative to FM music now days in the south. It also has the USB port and I just plug in a Jump drive for all else.

But I can't imagine your reasoning for doing it in an '09 unless that radio broke. I love the radio and VOICE II in my 'new/used 2007. I just would like to install my J&M 2003 CB radio on the '07 like I had on the '99, but J&M tells me it won't interface with the VOICE II system.

Good luck with all that you are doing on your '09 as it really sounds like a project.

Luckily I have a boat in case my local dealer whines. Of course what they don't know....

I had thought of bringing the sirius to the front in a waterproof enclosure but I seem to remember reading that all of the info is available on the jensen so it is a moot point. (I have the stratus 6 with the SCVDOC1 as the original marine version ccv1 is no longer available) I just may stick it in the electronics bay along with the rest of the farkles.

Good question about the reasoning. Primarily I have specialized needs such as I want to monitor my communications system while the radio/ipod/sirius is playing through the speakers. Plus I have at least two radios I like to monitor while on long distance trips. I have played with getting this configuration to work with the voice ii for months and nope. For example I need bluetooth to listen to my zumo 390 and cellphone which is interfaced to the zumo. Took a blinq headset apart and did some impedance matching and plugged into the voice II .... no worky at all. Tried it on a goldwing with the original intercom works like a champ hmmmm.... tried it on an autocom works like a champ...

another example is interfacing my yaesu ftm-10r into the voice II some have had success but still a bit of a crapshoot. Found a circuit for the ftm-10r to autocom built it and tried it (on my superpro) works like a champ. Then there is the audio from my uniden bcd536hp and my motorola apx handheld (for work I am on call) yah I got a lot of radios... they are great on my long distance trips to keep me up on things... the work radio stays home on these trips

Did find an alternative called the mixit for the voice II which allows me to monitor a bunch of different audio sources but there where some interfacing issues with the voice II.... Spending way too much time trying to fix beemers mistakes with the voice II.

Then there is the am/fm when it works it is great! however every time the stingray is taken off by me or the dealer there are always problems getting the radio to work (As one other member suggested I pull the battery instead of the fuses now but still problems.) Dealer solution was a new wiring harness.....bzzzt wrong answer cheaper to replace the blessed thing with simpler wiring.... so my next move would have been to pull apart the wiring harness for the radio and see where the problem was........

I have the "genuine bmw cb" hehe I am still struggling with keeping it or not. I primarily ride by myself so really don't need it to talk to others. Ham radio is more reliable for what I need. When I do the changeover I may put that up for sale also... I had the precursor to the J&M 2003 on my original 99 and it worked great. The beemer cb plugs into the voice two and seems to work just fine. I had on my list to fabricate a mount for the antenna and during testing I used a mag mount to ensure it put out adequate power etc. When I got it it did not come with the power relay but I run it off my relay driven power distribution center. I added some ferrite chokes to the power wires also.

I understand there is an interface that works and allows you to interface the beemer and j&m cb to an autocom however you have to build it 8^) I have talked at length to John of J&M over the years in the early years they were very helpful but since the blood feud between bmw and J&M has occurred they are not so now. When I was trying to get pinouts for various things from J&M the final answer was "you need to buy our products and we will help you" sigh.... I had J&M products on my goldwing and they worked great. The down side is cost and support. I have pestered the autocom people in the UK with a number of techie question prior to buying and they helped with schematics and suggestions.

Don't get me started on overpriced headsets.......

I ramble sometimes.. I will post some pictures of stuff so far when I get back have to go into work although I get to ride the bike

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in