Valve Check Advice Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Valve Check Advice Needed

I am currently prepping my '07 LT for the trek to CCR and have encountered somewhat of a dilemma when buttoning up the engine after the valve checků I found a 5/8" radius by 1/2" tall rubber piece on the floor near where I was working to reinstall the cylinder head cover. I watched the Illinois videos on valve checking and also looked in my Clymer Manual (see attached page and pictures of Page 83 and the rubber piece). Figure 13 and Instruction 8 tells you to note the position of the grounding spring installed on the intake camshaft's No. 1 bearing cap. I don't recall ever seeing any grounding spring and the rubber piece I'm trying to identify doesn't fit the description of a "grounding spring". Anybody know what the rubber piece is, and what is the purpose of a grounding spring (I would assume that it should somehow electrically ground the cover to the engine, perhaps for radio noise/interference?). I also looked all around the bike to see if any spring had fallen out when I took the cover off yesterday. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140808_154914_480.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	62449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grounding Spring on Bearing Cap.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	62457  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Garage
Re: Valve Check Advice Needed

I haven't seen that bit before so cant help, the grounding spring is just that a spring, and it fits on the cam tower same as clymer, did you buy the bike new as it may have been left off by Previous owner. I am thinking it may be out of the spark plug connector

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I am currently prepping my '07 LT for the trek to CCR and have encountered somewhat of a dilemma when buttoning up the engine after the valve checků I found a 5/8" radius by 1/2" tall rubber piece on the floor near where I was working to reinstall the cylinder head cover. I watched the Illinois videos on valve checking and also looked in my Clymer Manual (see attached page and pictures of Page 83 and the rubber piece). Figure 13 and Instruction 8 tells you to note the position of the grounding spring installed on the intake camshaft's No. 1 bearing cap. I don't recall ever seeing any grounding spring and the rubber piece I'm trying to identify doesn't fit the description of a "grounding spring". Anybody know what the rubber piece is, and what is the purpose of a grounding spring (I would assume that it should somehow electrically ground the cover to the engine, perhaps for radio noise/interference?). I also looked all around the bike to see if any spring had fallen out when I took the cover off yesterday. Any help would be appreciated!

There is nothing in the valve cover area that looks like that part. Maybe in the fairing area, but not 100% sure about this.

My best guess:
you have removed the spark-plug - correct?
This type of rubber piece is often found at bottom of spark-plug long socket to stabilize (and hold) tip of plug. I have lost one of these on garage floor once because it had unglued itself from socket.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 8:11 pm

^^^^^^^^^

+1
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2014, 12:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the responses! I came up dry on the idea that the rubber piece was from one of the spark plug wires - all four plug wires looked the same - even though I had hoped this was the answer. At least it satisfied my concern about needing to take the valve cover off again. Oh well, I'm know thinking that the thing must have fallen off during tupperware removal.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2014, 5:33 am

Look inside the spark plug SOCKET TOOL.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 9th, 2014, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006lt View Post
Look inside the spark plug SOCKET TOOL.
Excellant suggestion, but I used an 11/16" regular deep socket on the plugs, as my 13/16" and 5/8" spark plug sockets don't work on the LT plugs. Although the rubber piece very tightly fits in the 5/8" socket, the LT's porcelain plug insulator flops around in the rubber piece, so there's no way it could have come from any of my socket tools. But thanks again for the suggestion.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 6:49 pm

I had the same thing happen to me. I can not remember so well since it was two years ago but I am 99% certain it is a spacer for the fuel tank and frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in