Cruise control not initiating - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Cruise control not initiating

I've got a strange problem. Most of the time my cruise control will not engage until I turn the ignition key off then on again. If I'm riding along and the cruise control will not engage, I can pull in the clutch, turn off & on the key while coasting, and the cruise will work. 2000 K1200 LT. (Just pulling in the clutch without working the key does not help). Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Re: Cruise control not initiating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiesel View Post
I've got a strange problem. Most of the time my cruise control will not engage until I turn the ignition key off then on again. If I'm riding along and the cruise control will not engage, I can pull in the clutch, turn off & on the key while coasting, and the cruise will work. 2000 K1200 LT. (Just pulling in the clutch without working the key does not help). Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
Mike,
Because of multiple micro-switches, the cruise system can be tricky to troubleshoot. I have done a lot of work on this and your description of the symptoms are the most bizarre I have ever seen. There is a built-in "static" diagnostic method for the cruise unit.

I think you should start with this thread for a good tutorial on troubleshooting the cruise-control:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61130

Let me know what you find after running static diagnostic on center-stand.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Another potential trigger is a grounded input from the rear wheel sensor. Trace the wire to where it's zip-tied to the frame and inspect it closely after cutting the zip-tie off. It rubs through on the back side and gets intermittent, causing the speedo needle to bounce and the cruise to shut off when you hit a bump. If you have not repaired this yet, be sure to check it. Good news is that it's an easy fix if you can run a soldering iron and know how to use shrink tubing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Another potential trigger is a grounded input from the rear wheel sensor. Trace the wire to where it's zip-tied to the frame and inspect it closely after cutting the zip-tie off. It rubs through on the back side and gets intermittent, causing the speedo needle to bounce and the cruise to shut off when you hit a bump. If you have not repaired this yet, be sure to check it. Good news is that it's an easy fix if you can run a soldering iron and know how to use shrink tubing.
Good tip from Dean as my cruise-control tutorial does not mention this issue that is specific to K1200LT having the speed-sensor on rear drive (1999-2001 for USA market).

More info and good pictures about this issue in these 2 posts:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...6&postcount=32

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=34

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 8th, 2014, 9:14 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Maybe the real question to ask is "is the little red light on the entire time or does it come on when you cycle the key"? Or do you mean it will not respond to a "set" command until the key is cycled?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 6:48 am

This post is intersting as my '05 exhibited its first fault a couple of months ago. The red light was on (cruise control enabled) but it suddenly decided to not "set". Stopped the bike, turned the ignition on/off etc multiple times, rode off, no change. Stopped and pulled the fuse for the cruise control, all good, not blown and not dirty on the contacts. Refitted the fuse and took off, all was normal again. Looks to me as if fuse removal had the effect of re-setting something. Inputs for the cruise are prbably a little different between the 2 bike years. Thoughts anyone ? And has the OP tried this ?

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 9:02 am

I had this happen on my '09 when I got it and after dealing with this issue for some 6 months I had the dealer look at it and they replaced the controller. Thankfully it was still under warranty when this was done. If I remember correctly it was a $700 - $800 part. I hope yours turns out to be a simple fix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in