PLEASE HELP - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

PLEASE HELP

Just pickup my 2006 k1200lt today. the owner put the fob in the oddments box so not to lose it. Some how everything is locked , I cant open the oddments box to get the fob to unlock the bags or start the bike. What can i do? Please any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 10:06 pm
Super Moderator

Re: PLEASE HELP

Well for starters do you have a KEY!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 5:32 am Thread Starter

Yes I have the key. But tried to unlock trunk and bags and no go. tried unlocking the oddments box turned key left ,right it is locked.

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 6:59 am

after the turn you are pushing the button right?

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 8:14 am

Sometimes the oddments box latch is a bit stiff - I often kind of "tap" it with my fingers and in opens. However if it is actually locked and you can't unlock with the key, try turning the key only halfway and see if it unlocks there (I know the side cases work that way to ensure you can get in if the central locking mechanism was used to lock it).

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobinoc View Post
Just pickup my 2006 k1200lt today. the owner put the fob in the oddments box so not to lose it. Some how everything is locked , I cant open the oddments box to get the fob to unlock the bags or start the bike. What can i do? Please any help?
It sounds like someone used the fob to lock the compartments then threw the fob into the glove box. Bad news is the key will unlock all the compartments on the bike except the one you can not open. Good news is there is a process the bmw shop can use to get it unlocked. Bad news $75. Ask me how I know. Now if you don't care about having the fob lock the glove box, take a rag, fold it over a few times, put it over the latch and tap it with a hammer. a sharp blow will break the fob locking mechanism and you can get it open. You can still use the key to lock and unlock. If you didn't use the fob to lock it, hold pressure on the back of the key slot as you push down.
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 9:09 am

Forgot to tell you the seat can be pried past the latch to get to the wiring and battery. (wont damage seat or latch) You might have to have your bmw shop send you the electrical process to by pass the fob.
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 9:25 am

Quote:
How did you pick up the bike if you can't start it?
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 10:39 am

If he has a key I assume it will still start and run as long as he does not have the security system or does that come std. on all late model bikes?
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 12:57 pm

I don't know but I'd first start the bike up, put it on the center stand and let it run and then try all of the above to see if they will unlock.

Hope you have some luck. The 'Secret Code' comes with the manuals and is in a small manilla envelope and sealed. With mine there is a folded white piece of paper in there with instructions to call BMW for the trick to get things straight again.

I keep both of my fobs out of the oddments box. One it hidden on the bike and the other stays with me.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #11 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Quote:
When you get the key fob out I would reprogram it so the bike will start without having to push the fob.
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
I don't know but I'd first start the bike up, put it on the center stand and let it run and then try all of the above to see if they will unlock.

Hope you have some luck. The 'Secret Code' comes with the manuals and is in a small manilla envelope and sealed. With mine there is a folded white piece of paper in there with instructions to call BMW for the trick to get things straight again.

I keep both of my fobs out of the oddments box. One it hidden on the bike and the other stays with me.
Where do you hide it?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 9:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The process to unlock it requires you open the top case and remove the liner. Then remove the four mounting bolts. Pull the pillion seat and undo the two barrel connectors and one two pin connector and remove the top case. Then pull the panel under the top case and you will then see the alarm. To the left of the alarm is a 12 pin connector. Pin one (brown wire) and pin 12 (red/white wire) are the leads to the lock actuator. Disconnect the connector and momentarily apply 12 v to pin one and ground pin 12. You will hear the lock cycle. If that does not unlock it then reverse and apply 12 v to pin 12 and ground to pin 1. That should unlock the oddiments box.

But before you do that smack the lock with the palm of your hand (make sure the key slot is horizontal) a few time as mine has stuck on a few occasions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alarm location6.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	62313  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 9:24 pm Thread Starter

First I would like to thank NewGuy, the hit the lock trick worked great. It didn't even break anything. I just gave it a little pop and it flew open. Rowie your idea worked great to and allowed me to get my stuff out before i poped the lid. Jeiler thanks for your information that was next if plan "A" didn't work. I would like to thank all of you who replyed and tried to help. And yes I will reprogram the Fob next. This is why the forum is great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in