Vibro-plastic Buzz - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gary45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Vibro-plastic Buzz

I have been experiencing a good bit of plastic buzzing from my fairings for as long as I can remember, at idle it was pretty noisy, but was pretty quiet when on the road. It always sounded like it was coming from the dash area when I was sitting on the bike, and could never figure out what was doing it. I was fiddling with the bike out in the garage the other day, and had it idling, it was buzzing away. I got off the bike and was trying to figure out what was vibrating so much, so I started pushing on different places on the fairing, when I pushed on the front lower section just behind the front tire, it stopped. I took the fairing piece off, and discovered that it was rubbing/vibrating against one of the radiator hoses....strange.. It had actually worn a spot on the back of the fairing, and started to wear into the hose. Not to the point I would worry about the hoses integrity, but wear non the less. The PO had dropped the bike pretty hard on the left side, but other than a few scratches and cracked plastic, the bike seems to be OK, anybody else experience that front fairing piece rubbing on the radiator hose? I attached a piece of self adhesive foam to the back side of the fairing, and now no buzzy vibro noise at idle anymore...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 1:57 pm

Re: Vibro-plastic Buzz

Did you check closely to make sure your hoses are routed properly? Maybe just a slight twist with the clamps loosened would do the trick.
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 4:54 am

I have the same rattling on my 03. It happens behind the tire and at the points on the left and right side where the upper fairings meet with the lower spoiler. If I press in on the center of the spoiler, the noise stops. I have been planning to drill a small hole in the center of the spoiler behind the front tire and then run a zip tie from that hole to a spot higher up behind it with enough tension to permanently stop the noise. Any other suggestions or comments that can help or be a better approach to solving this noise would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, John

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 6:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had a rattle coming from the front of the fairing after I had performed the 24K maintenance. Turned out it was caused by my incorrect re-installation of the front fairing and went away, once I figured out how to properly seat the pieces together. I would avoid trying the zip tie solution until you've checked the fitment of the tupperware.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 8:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003BMWK1200LT View Post
I have the same rattling on my 03. It happens behind the tire and at the points on the left and right side where the upper fairings meet with the lower spoiler. If I press in on the center of the spoiler, the noise stops. I have been planning to drill a small hole in the center of the spoiler behind the front tire and then run a zip tie from that hole to a spot higher up behind it with enough tension to permanently stop the noise. Any other suggestions or comments that can help or be a better approach to solving this noise would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, John
There should be a 1/4 inch 3 inch long piece of foam on the upper fairing right at the front where the upper and lower overlap to stop the vibration, any exterior foam will work
RockyRoad likes this.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:58 am

Cool! I will check the fitment and use foam if it's not in place!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in