Mounting Video Camera. Handlebar or Not? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:27 am Thread Starter

Mounting Video Camera. Handlebar or Not?

Hi All,

I'm just at the beginning of working out how best to mount my Sony handicam to my LT. I've mucked about with mini helmet mounted cameras and found they just don't get me the picture quality I'm looking for. Its also difficult to start the video recording using gloves, as I have to press three buttons in sequence to start the recording, not to mention keep all the extra wires in check.

I'm figuring I need to mount the camera directly to the bike so all I have to do is flick the power switch and press the "big" record button. Ease to do even with gloves.

I've read all the previous posts on mounting a Camera on the bike, but have to confess that I was hoping to mount my camera on the left handlebar using the spare hole on the clutch bracket assembly.

While mounting the camera there will help with ease of access and operation, I am concerned that I might get way to much of vibration and feedback from the roads tha will effect the quality of the footage. (our roads are pretty crook here in Australia).

Has anyone in the group tried both a handlebar, and a crash bar mount?
If so, I'd appreciate your feedback on how the two compared for the video footage quality?

I'd really like to know if the video bounces or vibrates around to much on the handlebar and affects the video quality?

I've also posted this to the "Gadgets section" on a recent thread, but figured it may get a quicker reply here.

Cheers
Barry
Brisbane
Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:42 am

I have a RAM ball mount on the clutch resevoir - works very well for still and video camera.
You will get some vibration from any position on the bike - not so bad though, makes it look like you are going faster than you are

I found that the smaller/ lighter the camera the less the vibes.
A bigger problem is the distortion/ reflection through the screen - especially in bright sunlight.

Best solution,if possible,is to let your passenger do the shooting.
And be carefull to pay attention to the road while fiddling with the camera.
Its a bit like riding and talking on a cell phone.

"...sat still while swooping swift, heavily armoured but completely exposed, dagger-proof and always vulnerable, fully concentrated and miles away." - Dan Walsh

02 LT Toscana
post #3 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:45 am

Hi Barry,

I have used a left hand mirror-hole stud to RAM Ball, then the shortest RAM arm to RAM ball threaded cameraplate to hold a Canon Elura. (If you what a pic let me know)

The results were only ok. The vibrations do come through. Worse if the road is rough. The size of the camera and its weight play a HUGE role in the success or failure of the mounting.

I am going to be using a 'Lipstick' type camera on the mount as they weight next to nothing and feed the output to the Elura in the tankbag.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:45 am

Hate to rehash want you say you have already looked at but ...
Have you looked at https://helmetcamera.com/store/products.php?cat=10? They have a remote start button, water proof, 560 rez, etc.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldn’t be more different.
post #5 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.
Looks like the handlebar mount idea is out!
I think I'll work out a way to mount the camera on the right side crash bar, and see what results I get from there.

DaveDragon
Great Videos!!!

Cheers
Barry
Brisbane
Australia
post #6 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:44 am

I have had my Sony mounted on the handl-bars for 3 years and the video quality is great. Sony's "anti-shake" (can't think of the right term) seems to be very good. If you play with the mount height a bit it can be positioned so that the lens is "peaking" just above the lip of the windscreen but in the dead air space so that it doesn't collect bugs.

Roy Jorawsky
Deputy Chief - SFD
2002 K1200LT - "BackDraft" - Deceased
2008 HD Ultra Screaming Eagle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryst1100
Thanks for the feedback.
Looks like the handlebar mount idea is out!
I think I'll work out a way to mount the camera on the right side crash bar, and see what results I get from there.

DaveDragon
Great Videos!!!

Cheers
Barry
Brisbane
Australia
Hi, Barry - good luck on the camera project. Thought I'd toss my experience in for another option. I purchased a SAeng mount for the handle bar mirror boss hole (you can specify left or right) and the camera model comes with a thin material pad and a built in screw for attaching a camera. I used a Panasonic Palmcorder mounted to the SAeng thang. While following my bros on a spirited ride, I kept looking at the camera and that thang wuz bouncin' all over the place. I figgered, hell I might as well turn it off and save the batteries - I'll do that at the next stop! Well, I decided to show my bros what their backside looked like and cranked up the playback on the camera and lo & behold, nary a quiver!! Not one.I don't know how Panasonic does it, butt their image stabilization program is awesome. Somethang to do with lining up certain pixels, or ..... heck I dunno. Anyway, I figgered we'd all get motion sickness trying to watch the show --- not at all. Later, I found out that I really hadn't tightened the camera mounting screw all the way and that contributed to the shakiness of the camera; butt not the shot! So, the next leg of the trip wuz even better.

The other thang I liked about the SAeng mount is the swivel-bility of the arm so that you can move the camera around horizontally for the best view - maybe behind the windscreen if it's damp out, or out in the slipstream, or facing backwards if you wanna.

Anyway, SAeng should be listed in the accessories page under gadget mounts if you're interested. Pricey? Yup, butt to me, worth it. HTH and doesn't confuse more!!
post #8 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 1:34 pm

Okay, disregard this as it is just goofy thinking, but have you tried a pillion mount? Mine is fully functional, takes direction reasonably well and cooks!

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #9 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for all this great feedback.
"Steady shot' is what the Sony cameras have, and perhaps it may mean the difference between a good quality image and a bad one if I mount the camera on the handlebar. My Sony handicam does have the "steady shot" function.

For simplicity of opperation I'd like to mount the camera up on the handlebars, so I can easily turn it off or on with the flick of the switch, without having to take my eyes off the road, or having to reach down to the camera if I mount it on the crash bar.

Cheers

Barry
Brisbane
Australia
post #10 of 16 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Wow....more $$

Ok,
Heard about mounting a camera, really no interest in it. I watched some of DaveDragon's videos, and now I am hooked. In Dave's Spearfish Canyon, about 2mins 30secs in to it...I am not sure if he knows...but he has captured a Sasquatch on camera. It is odd..I was watching the video, and then the camera seemed to spin a bit to the right...and WOW!!! BAM!!! UPCLOSE SASQUATCH!!!

Dave, Great video man, I truly am NOW looking at parting with Yet a few of my friends Benjamin, Grant, and Andrew.

So, looking at camera options now, like the lipstick cams(have mounted all corners of my residence. Great quality/weatherproofing, but hadn't had one at 90mph to see what happens. Relatively small lens, so one good sized bug and it would be LIGHTS OUT!

Good luck Barry, keep us posted as I will learn from your questions and thread.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #11 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:49 am

A suggestion Barry--you may want to mount the camera on the right bar. I mounted mine on the left handlebar and put my GPS unit on the right one but--------with the Sony camera the LCD screen swings out from the left side of the camera----so----in order to visually check the LCD I will have to swap units (camera on right bar and GPS on left) or continue "craning" my neck around the camera to check the screen.

Roy Jorawsky
Deputy Chief - SFD
2002 K1200LT - "BackDraft" - Deceased
2008 HD Ultra Screaming Eagle

post #12 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 2:27 am Thread Starter

Good point. I never thought of that!
Right side would be wiser.

Cheers

Barry
post #13 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 4:25 am

With all that extra weight hanging on your handlebars, you are probably one of the lucky ones that does not get the front end wobble. Most of us have to rest our hands on the bars to keep it in check....Just kidding....my mind does weird things at 4AM.
Back on topic, I am shortly planning on getting a helmet lens from Hoyt Technologies http://www.hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fu...Product_ID=279
I have done the handlebar mounts and the steadyshot is probably the best thing going. All my videos came out good but to me all the mounting on and off is a pain. I am just going to velcro my camera to the stingray above the radio display and try the helmet mount lens. I will lose the display but I really like the fact that I will be shooting what I am seeing and between the bike shocks and the natural body shock abilities I am hoping the picture will be fairly stable. We'll see.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #14 of 16 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:22 pm

I mounted my video camera on the left side of my BMR shelf. It works well and is easy and fast to take off using the normal screw on the bottom that all cameras have (plus it is very secure). My LCD seems to work fine on the left side as all I use the LCD for is to see if I am recording or not (sometimes I forget to push pause).

The only problem I am fighting is the shakiness of the video. I am thinking about moving the camera to the middle of the BMR shelf (not on the small arm) to see if that helps with the shakiness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001515.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	629.2 KB
ID:	4767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001516.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	710.5 KB
ID:	4768  

Mark England

Roseville CA - KC6TEW, WQFA236
BMW MOA #:128350
2006 R1200RT - Black
2005 R1200GS - Sold
2006 K1200LT - Sold
post #15 of 16 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 9:28 am

If you get a helmet cam, you have to make absolutely sure your videocamera has an aux INPUT as well as an aux OUTPUT jack or you are out of luck (and right now, there are literally less than a handful that do). Samsung makes a "sportscam" with a nice external cam that I like a lot, but it records onto memory sticks, so you get limited length of video (25 mins on high res).

Here's another option...and I agree with the above posts that if you mount to the handlebars one, you are gonna throw off your balance and two, you're gonna' get half of your video full of your fairing.

Pick up an "UltraPod" folding tripod. Get the full-sized one, ebay has them often, if not, your local Wolf camera or similar camera shop has them for under $20. Neat thing about them is fully extended they are about 10 inches high, have a fully adjustable pan and tilt head that is screw-lockable, you can extend one, two or three "legs", and it has a looped velcro strap. Here's where it gets cool...the legs are "v-shaped" so you can velcro it onto anything with a right-angle.

here's an example of the mini, but I suggest getting the full sized:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/80da/

What I've done in the past is velcro it down to the chrome luggage rack on the top case and film BACKWARDS as I ride...or set it up on the rider in front of me, so I get film of my riding and the scenery...I did this on Deal's Gap and identified a problem I didn't know I was having with entering curves too deep. You can also reach it out further and film forwards. OR, if you really want to, you can strap it onto your bars, too...or onto your passenger footpegs (I've done that), or the side bag handrails or...

my two cents...

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 7th, 2007, 3:27 pm

We use a helmet cam pluggd into a mini PVR ... the PVR is in a transparent pouch on the tankbag and has it's own LCD ... it is easy to start and stop with gloves and you can shoot sections without a hassle. The files are stored as AVI. The PVR has a 150 GIG storage.

Mounting a camera on the helmet gives the best results because you neck absorbs most of the road shiver and with Image Stabilizer in the camera the movie is really good.

A bad day on the bike beats a good day in the office.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in