#3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 5:19 am Thread Starter

Hi All,

I've not logged on for a while. Good to see so many long-standing forum members still keeping the faith!

My lovely 2005 Ocean Blue Lux has just reached 70,000 miles. With new front discs (rotors) needed, new battery, new tyres, a big service coming up, etc, I had a brief look around, just to see whether there were any low-mileage KLTs around in the UK. I've test ridden the 1600 V6 models several times, and I simply don't like them. Heavy, no reverse gear, etc. It's all been said before.

To my surprise, I found a 2008/9 Lux, in mint condition, with just 6,000 miles on the clock. The dealership selling it reckon the previous owner did all those miles in his garage. The bike wasn't even dirty inside the mudguards (fenders)!

Given that they agreed to service and deliver it (from 300 miles away) and it has a full one year warranty including recovery, it made reasonable economic sense to buy the bike and sell mine on.

So, that's under way. I now have the new girl and the old lady is shortly going for sale.

This is my third KLT since 1999, so getting acquainted took all of a mile or so. The new bike has the Navigator III satnav fitted. That's a little bit of a shame, because Garmin have told me this week it can't be updated these days. There's a separate thread running about this on the Forum.

The other gizmo I'd not had before was "ground lighting". Anyone recall why BMW thought this was a bonus? Wins the prize for the most useless accessory, in my view.

But, onwards and upwards. I look forward to a few more years of delight!

Best wishes to you all.

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 6:28 pm

Re: #3

If you don't like it, you can turn it off via the key fob I understand.

I personally think it's neat having a little light to see where you are going to be putting your feet down at night and also like the map light coming on for a little bit. I guess everyone has their own ideas about what works and what doesn't

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 9:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
If you don't like it, you can turn it off via the key fob I understand.

I personally think it's neat having a little light to see where you are going to be putting your feet down at night and also like the map light coming on for a little bit. I guess everyone has their own ideas about what works and what doesn't
Except mine don't come on until I turn off the key. Mine feet are long down by then.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 9:26 pm

Well if you've ever put your foot down on a Moccasin snake at night, you would appreciate the light.

I never have.... but thought that to be a pretty good thing to watch out for.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in