Tire removal/installation & balance tools - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Garage
Tire removal/installation & balance tools

Looking for some advice on purchasing some tire removal/installation & balance tools.

Quality, affordable tools.

Specifically, a bead breaker, hand tools to remove & install, and a balance tool.

Searched thru a few threads here and it seems Marc parnes makes a good quality balance tool. I'll put that on the list unless someone has different advice.

Bead breaker -
I usually steer clear of Harbour Freight type tools but sometimes they get the job done. Who knows of a good bead breaker that doesn't break the bank?

Mount / Dis-mount tools -
Motion Pro has the only tools I know to protect the wheel. One tool has the string attached to it and the other looks like a plastic flap. Comments on these (or other mfg's rim tools) would be appreciated.

I have a good set of irons (short & long) that have served me well for 30+ yrs. Always used a spray bottle with soap & water for lube. I know they make a lube specifically for tire mounting. Comments on those would be appreciated too.

Thanks all, Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoy the journey!

2003 K1200LT
2005 Yamaha R1
1975 CR125 Elsinore
1974 Honda CB750K4
1974 H2 750 Kaw
1970 Triumph 650
1961 Pan/Shovel
Couple Mini Trail's QA' & CT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Tire removal/installation & balance tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR125Honda View Post
Looking for some advice on purchasing some tire removal/installation & balance tools.

Quality, affordable tools.

Specifically, a bead breaker, hand tools to remove & install, and a balance tool.

Searched thru a few threads here and it seems Marc parnes makes a good quality balance tool. I'll put that on the list unless someone has different advice.

Bead breaker -
I usually steer clear of Harbour Freight type tools but sometimes they get the job done. Who knows of a good bead breaker that doesn't break the bank?

Mount / Dis-mount tools -
Motion Pro has the only tools I know to protect the wheel. One tool has the string attached to it and the other looks like a plastic flap. Comments on these (or other mfg's rim tools) would be appreciated.

I have a good set of irons (short & long) that have served me well for 30+ yrs. Always used a spray bottle with soap & water for lube. I know they make a lube specifically for tire mounting. Comments on those would be appreciated too.

Thanks all, Ken
I started out using tire irons from my dirt bike days and plastic rim protectors made from pieces of plastic jugs. And a vise as a bead breaker. Not easy to change the stiff LT tires this way, although I did it twice.

Got the longer Motion Pro curved irons and their rim protectors. Made life easier, but rim protectors are junk and cracked apart on first use. Went back to the thinner plastic milk jug pieces. Vise good for breaking bead on one side, but not both.

Bought a No-Mar machine last year. This helped a lot, but you can't use their lever on the stiff LT tires. Bead breaking is easy now and having the tire clamped at a better working height is helpful also. Still a pain trying not to scratch rims using Motion Pro levers and home made rim protectors.

This winter I bought three of No-Mars tire levers as they show in their video on changing a Gold Wing tire. They have rim protectors built in. I haven't used them yet, but hope they complete the puzzle.

I use the No-Mar balancer, but am sure others work well also.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 12:22 pm

I drug this over from your valve check thread.

Hey, Ken - ping Stevie aka katnapinn about tire changing gear. That feller does tire changing for a living (among several other nefarious jobs like towing and roadside rescue) and has been thru a few brands of equipment. Another prospect for experience would be Mark Griner aka UncleMark. He's done a few and has settled on the best for him. Good luck.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 1:32 pm

Been using Harbor Freights tire changer for years now. Like Voyager, made my own rim protectors out of plastic jugs (and a few other mods) and have changed around 30 or so tires with no issues. I use Pledge as a lube (for the tires!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in