radio scratchy my head - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Question radio scratchy my head

sigh

Hi Guys

2009 K1200LT

Real puzzler... Disconnected the radio and pulled it off the bike as I needed to add a USB cable. I have a waterproof box mounted on the pedestal and I keep my ipod in it. Wanted to charge the blessed thing.

Got it changed and put back the radio. triple check all the connectors. (I counted 3 towards the front of the bike, two towards the rear, antenna cable and one that runs to what appears to be a spare cable (power I suspect as they have 3 wires and it plugs into a female one that has a single white wire. Not to mention the CB Connector and helmet connector. Plus the connector that goes from the back of the radio to the control panel on top

Charged battery with tender running a pc680. Turned the key on and nothing. Dash indicator says radio, however the buttons such as on cd etc do not appear to have any power. even the ON button does not light.

Rechecked all the connectors again ensure they are tight and well connected. Took the radio out and checked the fuse behind the radio and used a VOM to ensure it was really working.

Next checked the fuse block under seat... all fuses with a vom all good. Map light in front and rear work fine

Read about disconnecting the battery and left it for an hour.

Checked every connector for bent pins etc. Cleaned even though connections look pristine.

I had the radio out once before and it did the same thing and I disconnected and reconnected the connectors and poof all working.

It is like there is no power going to the radio... hopefully it is not the dreaded dead radio syndrome. Anyone ever injected B+ into the big connector. A color code pinout would be very helpful and the clymer manual aint all that helpful.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 8:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: radio scratchy my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj4tak View Post
sigh

Hi Guys

2009 K1200LT

Real puzzler... Disconnected the radio and pulled it off the bike as I needed to add a USB cable. I have a waterproof box mounted on the pedestal and I keep my ipod in it. Wanted to charge the blessed thing.

Got it changed and put back the radio. triple check all the connectors. (I counted 3 towards the front of the bike, two towards the rear, antenna cable and one that runs to what appears to be a spare cable (power I suspect as they have 3 wires and it plugs into a female one that has a single white wire. Not to mention the CB Connector and helmet connector. Plus the connector that goes from the back of the radio to the control panel on top

Charged battery with tender running a pc680. Turned the key on and nothing. Dash indicator says radio, however the buttons such as on cd etc do not appear to have any power. even the ON button does not light.

Rechecked all the connectors again ensure they are tight and well connected. Took the radio out and checked the fuse behind the radio and used a VOM to ensure it was really working.

Next checked the fuse block under seat... all fuses with a vom all good. Map light in front and rear work fine

Read about disconnecting the battery and left it for an hour.

Checked every connector for bent pins etc. Cleaned even though connections look pristine.

I had the radio out once before and it did the same thing and I disconnected and reconnected the connectors and poof all working.

It is like there is no power going to the radio... hopefully it is not the dreaded dead radio syndrome. Anyone ever injected B+ into the big connector. A color code pinout would be very helpful and the clymer manual aint all that helpful.

Any suggestions?

Tom
Did you disconnect the battery before you started disconnecting the other connectors?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

pulled the fuses but reading thru all the th reads it appears that there are multiple fuses that need to be pulled. first time I have seen a FM radio die like this course BMW likes to interconnect every thing. wonder if it is like chasing a rabbit down the hole. I am underwhelmed with the voice ii also might be time to scrap the radio and voice ii for something that works a little better. never had a problem with my 99 k12 course no intercom at all

tom

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This might help but seriously try all the connectors again especially the barrel ones. Also re-seat the cable to the controller. Some day I will get this translated but Google is your German friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0044.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	61585  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the schematic just what I was looking for! I cleaned all the connectors with stabalint and left the battery off for 24 hours reconnected everything while holding my tounge on the left this time and it worked. seriously though I am thinking of replacing the radio with the Jensen and an autocom for the voice ii. I like the look of the Jensen and support for my unique farkle needs are way easier to come by from the autocom folks as opposed to beemer or j&m. I am thinking of doing a little project like this using the existing bike connectors and a spare stingray I have laying around. great winter project when garage is cooler than a hundred (Florida u know). anyone have a spare stingray wiring harness they would part with? mine did not come with any wiring just the stingray

thanks for all the help

tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in