Brake Light Switch - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Question Brake Light Switch

Don't recall seeing anyone else suffer this malady so looking for anyone who has been through it. My rear brake light is regularly remaining on when I shut off the key, doesn't matter whether I just go to off or to lock, the light stays on. 80% of the time the brake light will eventually go off in 2-3 minutes. I have ridden it using just the front brakes and the brake light comes on and stays on while I am riding. As with the switch it will sometimes go off while I am riding. With the bike off, I can hear a switch in the handlebar but it sounds a whole lot like the cruise switch on the clutch side. Has anyone else had this difficulty? Anybody know anything about where and how the brake light switch operates on the right handlebar?

TIA

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'99...still champagne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:36 pm

Well, I'll be diddly-dang-burned, ole Toad has the same malady!! Yep - really. 'Cept they don't turn off on their own - I gotta pull the #3 fuse in the right fuse box 'fore they'll go off.

Toad has the Kriss tail/brake light flashy thangie; has the trunk top rack w/led bar; and other than those, nothing. While at Rhinewest last coupla weeks, waiting on the clutch/slave cylinder/seals work, Hank pulled the Kriss unit outta the loop and that didn't affect the brake light bugaboo. Also had the top trunk off, and that didn't affect it either (thinking it might have been the led bar wiring). Only thang we didn't check wuz the horn relay, which I think is down under the gas tank close to the Moronic doohickey; the thought being that maybe it is feeding power to the brake light. And the other thang we didn't throw in the loop is, that #3 fuse also handles the alarm system, butt Toad doesn't have an alarm, being born before they were installed as stock items.

Anyway, Jeff - soon as I return from KS in a week or so, I'm heading to the dealer and see if they're troubleshooting guru is on duty. I'll letcha know if any developments.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 10:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
Don't recall seeing anyone else suffer this malady so looking for anyone who has been through it. My rear brake light is regularly remaining on when I shut off the key, doesn't matter whether I just go to off or to lock, the light stays on. 80% of the time the brake light will eventually go off in 2-3 minutes. I have ridden it using just the front brakes and the brake light comes on and stays on while I am riding. As with the switch it will sometimes go off while I am riding. With the bike off, I can hear a switch in the handlebar but it sounds a whole lot like the cruise switch on the clutch side. Has anyone else had this difficulty? Anybody know anything about where and how the brake light switch operates on the right handlebar?

TIA

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'99...still champagne
Gentlemen -- dollars to donuts (KK's, of course ) that the problem is the brake light relay sticking. The LT's do not have their brake lights powered through the lever switches -- the lever switches control a relay in the electical box under the tank. The relay is fed by fuse F3, which gets its power directly from the battery, not through the ignition switch -- that's why Dick's pulling F3 shuts it off. You could try swapping one of the other relays of the same color in the electrical box to verify, but I believe this is by far the most likely cause.

Let me know if I'm in the right ballpark on this one

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks Mark it'll be a week or so before I can pull the tank, but that's the first thing I'll check. I too have been pulling #3 when I didn't have time to wait to see if was going to go off.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Gentlemen -- dollars to donuts (KK's, of course ) that the problem is the brake light relay sticking. The LT's do not have their brake lights powered through the lever switches -- the lever switches control a relay in the electical box under the tank. The relay is fed by fuse F3, which gets its power directly from the battery, not through the ignition switch -- that's why Dick's pulling F3 shuts it off. You could try swapping one of the other relays of the same color in the electrical box to verify, but I believe this is by far the most likely cause.

Thanks Mark - KKs all 'round!! Hank wuz gonna go after that electrical box, butt after futzing with getting the gas tank back on after it sat off the bike for a week (and wuz a stubborn fit), I think he'd 'bout rather have a tooth pulled. I didn't push it, cuz he's slammed for work and trying to leave for a two-week Mexico trip Friday.

I'll get a coupla commitments outta the way this next week, and then dive in for the hopeful fix. I don't mind pulling F3 - I do mind being without stopping notification to the cagers!! What is it - left arm horizontal shoulder-to-elbow, then 90 down?!
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett

Mark has it right. Happened to me a couple years ago, was a stuck relay.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 9:43 pm

Nice to see I am not the only one with this problem then
Only seems to happen mostly on long hauls, but can happen on a saturday afternoon ride too. Usually when I notice it is on, I just turn the ignition back on and flick the hand brake on and off a few times till it goes off. Usually goes off after half a dozen flicks or so, easier than pulling a fuse.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 15th, 2005, 3:24 pm

Hey, Jeff - you ever git around to operating on your scoot for the constant-on brake light problem? KKs are in order for Mark on this one. I replaced the brake light relay in the electrical box this morning and sure enuf, Mr. Neblett had nailed it. Brake light problem went away, and they turn off now, just as they should.

Mark asked to let him know if the solution worked, so I PM'd him a bit ago and thanked him for the diagnosis.

BTW - the electrical box isn't all that hard to git to (remove both upper fairings, mirrors, wind wings, stingray, seat bracket and gas tank). Remove just the smaller, lower compartment of the electrical condo (held in place by four philips screws); pull the fuse/relay bundle holder out and twist the bundles over for access to the keeper block that holds the motronic relay alongside the brake light relay. Bit of a pain removing the relay, unless you have 4 hands the size of Barbie's; butt you can see the lever at the bottom of the keeper that'll release the block. With the block released off the holder, you can remove the brake light relay by spreading apart the lug-grippers. Pull the relay spades out and insert the new one - the lugs will snap into the grippers; slide the keeper block back onto the fuse/relay bundle holder; and insert the holder back into it's runner - sliding everythang to the back wall of the compartment. Line up the seal-groove of the cover and tighten down the four screws. BTW - there wuz a coupla dead mini-bugs and some dust/debris inside our compartment, so I blew thangs clean with some canned air.

And for reference, if you have the printed version of the shop manual, section 61-10 thru about 61-14/15 contains instructions for opening the electrical box, as well as a ghost picture of the relay locations.

Good luck, Jeff - if you haven't already done the fix.
lloydster65 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in