How much time do I have? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By saddleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jul 26th, 2014, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Question How much time do I have?

Changing the FD oil today and have found the first evidence of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. I change the FD oil very 6k with a Mobil 1 75-140 and it looked good as new when it drained today as it has on the past. 05 LT with almost 45k. Purchased used 3.5 years ago and have put just over 15k on it. Primarily used for daily commuting with a round trip of 30 miles. Spring and fall she will take me to NC and GA to officiate tournaments so it will see anywhere from 200-400 miles on some weekends. So, ballpark figure how long before having a total failure? What does a failure look like? Back wheel lock up? Grinding? Anything I can do to limp it along and stretch out a total failure? And of course, what kind of $pend am I in for? Look forward to the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 9:22 am

Re: How much time do I have?

post #3 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 9:29 am

What kind of shavings? What i mean is ..Shiny metal powder like dust? or shavings?.It's difficult to assumme it's failing without pics or more evidence.Also you saying the oil looked new. If it's actual semi large shavings.I wouldn't push it any further. Just bite the bullet and rebuild it or get it rebuilt. Thats the last thing you need is to be far away from home and have total FD failure. And if pushed far enough,it's sometimes too damaged to rebuild.Again i'm assuming on the info you've provided.There are a few guys on here that rebuild them.Dave Selvig is a guy that rebuilds them. He rebuilt mine. It's about $400.00.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Jul 27th, 2014 at 9:58 am. Reason: misspelling

post #4 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 9:51 am

Small 'shavings' ok. Chips like off a lathe is bad. Did you take a picture?

Some people say you can check for 'play' in the rear wheel. Some hear a rumble noise, others see gear oil on the rear wheel. If it has happened there is no putting the cork back in the bottle.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 10:46 am

I was in denial after an oil change just prior to a trip...so I went anyway. My drive failed 700 miles into the trip in the middle of nowhere Kentucky. Trailer to Louisville and back on the road $1500 later.

My symptoms were vibration in the pegs followed by grinding and oil on the rear tire.

You would probably save some money if you pulled it down now.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #6 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 11:47 am

For me it would wreck the trip as I am wraped a little tight when it comes to repairs an maintenance .
As for the magnet collection grey/black is normal gear dust but any silver is repair me now .
Much better to pick your time an place to repair.
Any estimate of miles to go would just be WAG.

Bob G
2011RT
1999LT gone , FD bearing silver shards at 70K
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

I failed to take a picture. Having just changed the oil and not having anything lined up outside of the daily commute I will probably give it another 1000 miles and drain the oil. Will take pics at that point. I don't have any other symptoms (yet) and the lube looks brand new every 6k miles when I drain it. Gonna have to strip the bike down at some point soon anyway to pin point a leak around the tranny. Probably a good time to get the FD done. What's a rebuild cost?
Thanks for the responses.
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 1:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Ride it 20 miles or so & pull the drain plug after it sits overnight. Have someone hold a finger over the drain hole while you inspect the drain plug for more metal flakes. One flake is all it takes for the bearing to fail fairly soon.

If you ride it to far after the bearing fails you can damage the black seal cover & that adds over $250 to a rebuild. My rebuilds start at $400 & that includes the crown bearing, crown bearing seal & any necessary shims to achieve the correct preload.
CaliDefector likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 1:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaltyn View Post
Changing the FD oil today and have found the first evidence of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. I change the FD oil very 6k with a Mobil 1 75-140 and it looked good as new when it drained today as it has on the past. 05 LT with almost 45k. Purchased used 3.5 years ago and have put just over 15k on it. Primarily used for daily commuting with a round trip of 30 miles. Spring and fall she will take me to NC and GA to officiate tournaments so it will see anywhere from 200-400 miles on some weekends. So, ballpark figure how long before having a total failure? What does a failure look like? Back wheel lock up? Grinding? Anything I can do to limp it along and stretch out a total failure? And of course, what kind of $pend am I in for? Look forward to the feedback.
I would not start a trip after seeing any shavings at all on the drain plug. A very fine paste, yes, but anything that can be called a shaving indicates that failure is imminent. Get thy FD to Saddleman or other competent rebuilder ASAP.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Since you don't have photos, how does what you're seeing compare to what you've seen in the past? ANY change would and should cause concern. When they go, they go fast.
I repaired my own. Glad I did, and enjoyed the work. Not difficult at all.
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 7:08 pm

[QUOTE=gbaltyn;1035369]Changing the FD oil today and have found the first evidence of metal shavings on the magnetic plug. ... So, ballpark figure how long before having a total failure? What does a failure look like? Back wheel lock up? Grinding? Anything I can do to limp it along and stretch out a total failure? .../QUOTE]

If the metal on the drain plug magnet is shiney and reflects light, you have a problem. If you only have grey, fuzzy, metallic mud, it is okay.

Since you used the word "shavings", I suspect the former. Don't ride it. Don't try to get a few more miles out of it. Assuming it is a "classic" crown wheel bearing failure, further riding will lead to seal rupture, oil coming out on the rear wheel, and risk for additional damage inside the drive. I've never heard of a documented FD lock up, but the was an accident attributed to FD failure. Most folks are lucky and don't get hurt, but have the repair bills. It is kind of remarkable that no one has been hurt with so many cases of oil on the rear wheel having been reported.

Your best option is to remove the FD and ship it to Saddleman who has already posted in this thread.
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Check out my recent posts....like has been said, shiny anything on the magnet, even shiny mush is the evidence you need a rebuild...DO IT! or don't drive far, if you feel the vibration in your foot pegs, or hear a rhythmic drone, The End Is NEAR!!! Send it to Saddleman, and he'll fix u up!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

One more vote......... any particles on the magnet that reflect light means you're close to failure. Stop riding it and get it to Dave. I had a chip detector on mine and caught it early. From start to junk isn't very far, certainly not a trip gamble I would take.

post #14 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
One more vote......... any particles on the magnet that reflect light means you're close to failure. Stop riding it and get it to Dave. I had a chip detector on mine and caught it early. From start to junk isn't very far, certainly not a trip gamble I would take.
Chip detector ?
post #15 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 6:23 pm

I changed my Final Drive lube today. Thought I would post some pics of what I think is normal. The "stuff" collected by the magnet can be decieving. It clumps up into nasty looking objects on the magnet. Once you get it off the magnet and onto a paper towel it becomes clear that it is like dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0822.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	61546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0823.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	61554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0824.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	61562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0825.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	61570  
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 7:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlfeat View Post
Chip detector ?
Yes. Built my own. Technology borrowed from the aviation and/or manufacturing industry. Basically like a spark plug with a magnet for an electrode. Shorts the metal shavings to ground to light an LED. Spent some time in a Hughes 300 and got the idea from doing tail rotor oil changes on it. I posted a crude drawing and some specs a few years back if you want to research it. Fairly simple project if you have a drill press.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Jul 28th, 2014 at 7:33 pm.
post #17 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_in_sight View Post
I changed my Final Drive lube today. Thought I would post some pics of what I think is normal. The "stuff" collected by the magnet can be decieving. It clumps up into nasty looking objects on the magnet. Once you get it off the magnet and onto a paper towel it becomes clear that it is like dust.
Dear M-I-S...Nice photos, That's exactly what my plug looked like at my last FD oil change, 250 miles later, I was riding a bucking bronco that sounded like a locomotive....$540 Towing bill, and $350 rebuild later, and my FD drain plug doesn't have anything on it now!
There's a reason why Final Drives are such a big issue on this site....don't ignore the evidence. If I hadn't, I would have been $$ ahead, and not blown a whole trip! Think about it.......

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 5:46 pm

I thought that the diff oil was GL-5 Hypoid Oil 80W90...

I've read many times that people are putting 75W140.

So, which one is it?
post #19 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 6:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrage View Post
I thought that the diff oil was GL-5 Hypoid Oil 80W90...

I've read many times that people are putting 75W140.

So, which one is it?
I believe 80W90 Castrol dino oil is what was originally recommended. I believe the 75W140 is synthetic. I am a synthetic fan in general and use it in all of my cars and trucks, but not in my LT. Two reasons for this:

1. Tom Cutter of RCRG fame, recommends against it for BMW transmissions and final drives. Since I had him rebuild my FD, I am following his recommendation.

2. My LT didn't start leaking oil into the clutch housing until after the dealer put synthetic into both my engine and transmission, without consulting with me I might add. I changed back at my next changed and the leaking slowed, but never completely stopped. My clutch started slipping a year or so later and will need work soon.

Since most bikes don't see either the extreme cold or extreme heat where synthetic really makes a difference, I am saving money and using dino oil. I can't say the synthetic caused my leak and subsequent clutch contamination. It may have been simple coincidence, but it is not an experiment I plan to repeat with my next clutch!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #20 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 6:12 pm

I would think that 140 is much, much more viscous than 90.

Actually, Castrol's "synthetic" is just highly refined "dino" oil. They had a big fight with the other oil vendors (Motul, Mobil, etc) that were actually doing synthetic oil. But Castrol's high-refined "synthetic" exceeded their specs.

Anyways, it's all in the web, it could be a lie...

I'm about to change the gear and diff oils. I'll be using Castrol's synthetic GL-5 80W90.
Though, I also have some Mobil GL-5 75W90.
it's hypoid (sulfur added so it smells like rotten eggs).

It's always hot in here (>95F)... so the lower number makes no difference.

But the 140 vs 90 should make a difference.

the more viscous oil could cause undue stresses in the gears and stuff. dunno.
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

I'll pull out the plug this weekend and see what I got. What I saw previously wasn't nearly as messy as the pics posted above. Oil looked brand new, almost no hint of fuzz and what I saw on the magnet looked like 2-3 of the chunks on the gent's finger who was kind enough to show the pics. Out of curiosity what does the "drone" sound like, at what speed/gearing and/or rpms is it typical?
post #22 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 7:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you really want to get a good idea of what's on your magnetic drain plug, just get a small container of mineral spirits and gently swish the plug in it. It'll give you a much better view of what's there. Then rub some of it between your fingers. If you can feel sharp particles in it, time for some rebuild work.

post #23 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Sharp particles?

I got that last time on the K12R...

hahahaha!
post #24 of 26 Old Jul 30th, 2014, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
If you really want to get a good idea of what's on your magnetic drain plug, just get a small container of mineral spirits and gently swish the plug in it. It'll give you a much better view of what's there. Then rub some of it between your fingers. If you can feel sharp particles in it, time for some rebuild work.
You can also put some of the oil on a piece of glass, then shine a light under it. Nasty things in the oil show up pretty well that way.
post #25 of 26 Old Jul 31st, 2014, 6:31 pm

Rich, Thank you for the photo comments.
I forgot to add that I do not know how many miles were accumulated on that magnet. This was the first Final Drive change for me during my ownership. There are a little over 33,000 miles on it now. The last entry in the owner's book was at 6000 miles.
post #26 of 26 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_in_sight View Post
I'm curious, what year bike and how many miles on it?

The first time I looked at your photos, I didn't pay much attention. I just looked more closely at your last photo with the paper towel. Sorry to say, but I don't like the looks of that. I think you may be headed for a FD failure. If it were my FD I'd do a preemtive rebuild.

It is hard to just from a photo, but that debris looks more severe than the grey "dust" that is found during normal break in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in