I never want to get that close again... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:16 am Thread Starter

I never want to get that close again...

So, this last weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to take my SO and myself on a little ride. We headed from Denver CO to Moab UT. A trip I have made many times. We camped overnight and took the longer way home.

Headed out was all highway except for the last 30 miles of back road in to Moab. For anyone that hasn't you should check out HWY 128.

The ride was impressive, the bike was great! The point of this post was about half way home we were stopped in Gunnison for just a regular break. I had some fresh fruit from the stand on the side of the road, and damn that peach was yummy! When we headed off, (just like the many times before) I lost my footing on the right side. Since there was a pretty strong bank to the road, the bike started turning to the right. I didn't have enough speed to have my foot on the peg yet, and when it felt like it was leaning too much, I of course put my foot down. Since I was still moving, I kind of started making that pogo effect happen with my leg and the bike. I think I "tapped" the ground with my leg four or five times until I got her stopped. I didn't go over, but I was surely going that direction. I blame it on the altitude. There was less air holding me upright! After I got my heartbeat back down, we headed on down the road with problem for the rest of the trip. Matter of fact there were no problems the whole time. Only really drove 800 miles.
Temp range was from 104 to 56.
Oh yea, the last picture there is the "salmon" we bought as a road side lunch from the local supermarket in Ridgeway Colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:34 am
TMH

You know, I think that it is something about fruit stands! Some months back my SO went for her first ride on the back of the LT. We went first to the shop where I bought the bike (about 45 miles from home), to get some free coffee and check into some additional gear for her. We left the shop and decided to keep heading South for a few more miles. She had mentioned that she wanted to stop at some of the roadside fruit/vegetable stands to get some fresh picked stuff to take home. First stand was fine (regarding keeping the bike upright), but it didn't have what she wanted. It was the second stand that nearly got us.

It was on a corner, where you could turn right off the highway onto a street, and then make a quick left into the parking lot, or go just a little further and exit directly off the highway and into the parking lot. I didn't like what I saw (dirt/gravel) in the latter area, so I chose the former. It was what I didn't see (until it was too late) that almost got me. As I pulled the quick left turn into the parking lot, I noticed that there was about a 6" drop-off from the roadway into loose gravel of the parking lot. And to make matters worse, the loose gravel was about 6" deep. Whoa!

Well I couldn't stop in time, so I proceeded "over the edge" without too much difficulty. But the bike was not fully straight when I entered the gravel, so my tail end starts to wash out. Fortunately some of my limited dirt bike skills kicked in, so I dabbed with my left foot and gave the bike a little throttle. And to my surprise (amazement?) the bike straightened right up, we didn't go down, and we cleared that 8' or so gravel patch.

Wow, that would have been a "first ride" for my wife to remember if I had dumped us both off the bike! But fortunately it is just something to remember and smile about now. She went into the stand and got her veggies, I cleaned up the brown smear on my seat, and we were good to go for the ride home.

So my bottom line of advice: Stay away from fruit/veggie stands with an LT!

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:46 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMH
So my bottom line of advice: Stay away from fruit/veggie stands with an LT!
Naaa! You two just have to learn how to ride!

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:50 am

Or learn how to not let fresh fruit go to your head

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMH
And to my surprise (amazement?) the bike straightened right up, we didn't go down, and we cleared that 8' or so gravel patch.
The other times I felt like I was going over, I just gave it a little gas, and right back up. It is a good instinct to have!
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Pictures?

Where did my pictures go? I uploaded 5, and I don't see em.

The last one was funny....

Hmmmmmmmmm.
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopos
Where did my pictures go? I uploaded 5, and I don't see em.

The last one was funny....

Hmmmmmmmmm.
I was going to mention that...
But there's nothing like the power of self-discovery!
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:17 am Thread Starter

So how come my pictures wont upload? I have done it sucsessfully before...
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:34 am

Perhaps they're too big?
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Perhaps they're too big?
Too big...

Yeah, that could be. I will check on it later...

thanks for the heads-up!
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Smile

Quote:

I didn't have enough speed to have my foot on the peg yet, and when it felt like it was leaning too much, I of course put my foot down. Since I was still moving, I kind of started making that pogo effect happen with my leg and the bike. I think I "tapped" the ground with my leg four or five times until I got her stopped. I didn't go over, but I was surely going that direction. .
Kind of the same thing happened to me. Parking lot at Shade Tree. Wife on the back. Leaning WAY to far at slow speed. I knew it was going to go down, and I just knew putting my foot down would be futile. So I blipped the throttle and she stood right up for me. Wow, still not a DA member. On the LT.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Adam

Adam,
I have a quick question, HAD you dropped your bike, would you have blamed it on the fruit, or the fact the wife wanted you to go there so it was her fault?

As for dropping the LT, I can say congrats on not letting her go down.

I was bragging that mine didn't suffer any damage when she went down...well I discovered Friday night SHE DID get some damage....I am sooo Pissed about it.

Anyway, When my wife gets back from kickin sand, we will all 4 need to go camping. However, we will go 1000 miles, we're younger ya know.. .

Again, thanks for sharing the first ride. Felt great didn't it?

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Yes indeed, it was a great ride. Funny what you can see here in this part of the country. Desert of 100+ F and 11,000 foot passes and high plains with 56 F. Actually for the record, it was me who decided where to stop. I am the pilot -

I would blame no one but my self. (and the people that made the road, and the BMW engineers, and the wind, and people that made my boots, and....)
Nah....

Younger?? I figured we were pretty close in age...
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Too big...

Yeah, that could be. I will check on it later...

thanks for the heads-up!
Please try the pix again; would like to see them. There is a limitation on the file size you can post. You usually have to take the pix down to 640x480 resolution (or in that neighborhood, depending on the original file's size).

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Please try the pix again; would like to see them. There is a limitation on the file size you can post. You usually have to take the pix down to 640x480 resolution (or in that neighborhood, depending on the original file's size).
I don't have a photo editor on this PC. Any "freeware" that you know of that would help do that? Is there some Microsoft software with XP that will do it?

Dooh!

Thanks!
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 2:55 pm
TMH

Quote:
I don't have a photo editor on this PC. Any "freeware" that you know of that would help do that? Is there some Microsoft software with XP that will do it?

Dooh!

Thanks!
I use, and have been very happy with the Mihov Image Resizer. Find it free at http://www.fileheap.com/130475/fileinfo/ or do a Google search on it.

It may not be the MOST intuitive program to use for the first time, but once past its quirks it is small, fast and effective.

Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Quote:

Dooh!

Thanks!
There are several. My favorite is Infranview. You can download it free from here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks fellas! I will look into it when I have some time. So darn busy riding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in