OEM Windshield--Problems and Warranty-able?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:02 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

OEM Windshield--Problems and Warranty-able??

Bought a 2004 LT with 8,500 miles two weeks ago that had been purchased 4 months earlier as a Certified Pre-Owned from Atlanta BMW which means it's covered with a transferrable FULL warranty thru 6/09.

The original windshield has a haze on both sides that I didn't notice until the first late afternoon that is bad enough I had to lower the windshield fully to safely ride.

I carefully cleaned both sides with very mild soap and water, dried with microfiber cloth, then cleaned both sides with Novus 2 Fine Scratch Remover, followed up with Novus 1 plastic clean and Shine, (both ridiculously expensive, but have used them in the past to even take out scratches from $140 Oakley sunglasses, and on ahem...Harley lexan windshields...and on my old RT windscreen when the shop apparently left it sit face down for two weeks when the engine was being worked on and it left swirl scratches on it, and it worked miracles.

No go.

So what I seek the expert advice of my fellow forum members is this...

1. has anyone ever had any luck getting a windshield replaced under BMW warranty? (the extended warranty is BMW, not some aftermarket thing)

2. if not, is there another miracle cure that my $22 worth of Novus cleaner couldn't accomplish

and barring those...

3. if I can't fix my problem that way, I'm thinking either Cee Bailey's or Utopia for an aftermarket replacement shield...can anyone "steer" (pardon the bad pun) me in the right direction? I'd likely go with something 2" shorter than stock (the other day at 7pm after work here in Texas it was 102 degrees and people keep telling me "wait until it gets HOT here...").

Many thanks in advance.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:44 am

Two possabilities: I have had two windshields replaced under warranty, but they call it a goodwill warranty; I call it doing what is right but Bmw has a different idea about warranty than anyone else. You should be able to get your dealer to warranty it under the " Goodwill" (:
I have used a product called Micro polish and buffed out most of the haze; it's made by 3m and a product that actually works.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:56 am

Denatured alcohol removes the haze.
Many MANY people have had windshields exchanged under warranty.

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:33 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Denatured alcohol??

I am confused (not a tough trick...), isn't alcohol, denatured or not, the reason they urge us NOT to use rain-x and similar products on lexan, because of the detrimental effects on those higher-chain hydrocarbon plastics?

Any rec's on an aftermarket if I can't convince the local dealer to replace the windshield?

Oh, and has anyone ever removed the "wings" above the mirrors (not the ones that rotate located below the mirrors) to allow for more windflow during hot weather--and if so, is it as simple as removing an external screw and sliding it out, or is this another four-hour throw-together-a-string-of-profanity-job?

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:43 am

If you have to have an aftermarket windshield I would got with the Aeroflow ???
But you can pickup a used oem fairly easy for $100 or so. I have the one I am using now and a spare; the spare cost $75 and it was new, but I use the low windshield and that may make a difference on finding one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in