• 1 Post By kinch
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 9:10 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
CHEAP EHCS starter motors

just noticed on ebay someone in US selling new ones (HS-50N or Honda Scooter
1993-2005 CH80 Elite) for $27 which is about 1/2 price or less of other suppliers! 10 available...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-...item43c8cf3ea8

Anyone want to do the forum a favour and buy them up?
Doesn't ship to Oz... but I've already got a spare or 2 anyway

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: CHEAP EHCS starter motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
just noticed on ebay someone in US selling new ones (HS-50N or Honda Scooter
1993-2005 CH80 Elite) for $27 which is about 1/2 price or less of other suppliers! 10 available...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Starter-...item43c8cf3ea8

Anyone want to do the forum a favour and buy them up?
Doesn't ship to Oz... but I've already got a spare or 2 anyway
Got a few, thanks

Dan M
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:36 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

cheers Dan... now I know who to hit up...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Darn I am on travel will have to check but I already have 3 on hand.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 16 Old Aug 12th, 2015, 10:34 am

Have bought one of this starters. They work perfectly. Have flushed the ehcs, and refilled it with new oil. Is it possible to overfill the kit only with flushing? I put a plastic bottle over the filling hole (the one with a spring and ball) and opened up the 3 screws, from left to right, one at the time. I filled every hole until it came out new oil and no bubbles. I'm not sure about the exact amount of oil because I had to get out all the air. Can I have overfilled it, or is it not possible the way I did it? I just mounted the new motor today and at first the piston did not work, the I did as described above, then the piston got working when I connected it to a car battery. Have not put it back on the bike because I'm afraid that a heavier load may cause the unit to crash if I have overfilled it. Is this something I have to be worried about? PS! I hope all you understand what I mean, I'm not an English spoken person :-)

Last edited by Nor-Way; Aug 12th, 2015 at 10:59 am. Reason: spelling errors
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 12th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-Way View Post
Have bought one of this starters. They work perfectly. Have flushed the ehcs, and refilled it with new oil. Is it possible to overfill the kit only with flushing? I put a plastic bottle over the filling hole (the one with a spring and ball) and opened up the 3 screws, from left to right, one at the time. I filled every hole until it came out new oil and no bubbles. I'm not sure about the exact amount of oil because I had to get out all the air. Can I have overfilled it, or is it not possible the way I did it? I just mounted the new motor today and at first the piston did not work, the I did as described above, then the piston got working when I connected it to a car battery. Have not put it back on the bike because I'm afraid that a heavier load may cause the unit to crash if I have overfilled it. Is this something I have to be worried about? PS! I hope all you understand what I mean, I'm not an English spoken person :-)
Yes you can over fill the EHCS, don't ask how I know.

If you go to this link you will see some links to information on rebuild & adding fluid.

Hope this helps.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #7 of 16 Old Aug 12th, 2015, 7:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yes you can crack the reservoir case if you put too much in. I recommend taking it back off. Open the big black 17 mm bolt at the base (it is a spigot). You can drain and fill from that hole while pushing the shaft in to a solid surface. No need to open any other fittings.

Now use a large syringe and fill it 50 mls at a time as you compress the piston. As the piston goes in it will suck in the fluid. Once it sucks no more cover the hole with your thumb and cycle the piston and repeat. Put NO MORE that 140 ml of oil in the unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 4:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Yes you can crack the reservoir case if you put too much in. I recommend taking it back off. Open the big black 17 mm bolt at the base (it is a spigot). You can drain and fill from that hole while pushing the shaft in to a solid surface. No need to open any other fittings.

Now use a large syringe and fill it 50 mls at a time as you compress the piston. As the piston goes in it will suck in the fluid. Once it sucks no more cover the hole with your thumb and cycle the piston and repeat. Put NO MORE that 140 ml of oil in the unit.
Ok, thx, I'll do that.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 6:21 am

I drained the actuator today, got ca 110 ml out. When draining I used the 19mm "nut" on the side and pushed the piston in& out till it was empty. When refilling I only get about 70 ml in. Have tried several times to get more oil in without luck. Have pushed the piston in&out several times. I used a syringe and added oil while pressing the piston in. Hooked up the actuator to a car battery and the piston goes all the way in. If it was to little out it would't go all the way, right? Hopefully it will work when mounted on the bike as well.
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 8:19 am

Update: After mounting actuator on the bike, the ehcs did't lift the bike. I believe it was to little oil. Then I took it apart AGAIN :-) and filled oil in the small holes on top as I did before. It was a lot of air bubbles coming out. Now it's working :-) The only thing I'm worry about is if I have overfilled the unit. I stopped filling when I saw the bubbles were gone.
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 2:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I purchased a new Centerstand motor ( Honda CH80 Elite 80 CC starter motor ) from
Discount Starter Alternator
531 N. Jefferson St.
Milledgeville, Ga. 31061
[email protected]
1 800 796 9394

SKU # 18853N (fits perfectly works great)
Cost $26.50
cws likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 3:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Update: After mounting actuator on the bike, the ehcs did't lift the bike. I believe it was to little oil. Then I took it apart AGAIN :-) and filled oil in the small holes on top as I did before. It was a lot of air bubbles coming out. Now it's working :-) The only thing I'm worry about is if I have overfilled the unit. I stopped filling when I saw the bubbles were gone.

You are probably OK based on what you drained and the little you added. I base the 140 ml on a complete tear down and splitting of the case halves for cleaning. So that is a bone dry number. The alternative is to add like you did and if it does not lift add 10 ml and try again. It will not lift if it 20 ml low. That way you don't add too much.
cws likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 4:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you check the compatibility drop down this message appears!

This part is not compatible with 2000 BMW K1200LT Standard.

Checked it for 2005 and got the same message.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 4:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just checked and got the same message. However, I suspect that the crossreference listing is for starter motor applications (an 80cc Honda scooter) as opposed to a BMW hydraulic center stand.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 13th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Since BMW did not deem the unit repairable it will never cross.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 14th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Should this thread be a sticky?

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in