Advice on replacing the clutch side button module. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Advice on replacing the clutch side button module.

My cruise control button has stopped working and the horn button continuously sticks.
I've read a thread here about checking the cables coming off the throttle and, according to the dealer they are fine. He blew out the horn button with some electronics cleaner and some wd40 and it kinda worked for a while in loosening it up a bit, but now 2 dealers just say the the easiest ting to do is replace the buton console.
One of the previous threads indicated that you can put a shim under the cruise button and that often works. The dealer says he won't have any part of that.
THe quote for a new module is approx $500 CDN plus installation, ( about $150)

If it is possible to try the shim option and if there is a shim type option for the horn then that would be great if it is possible to do it on my own with out too much chnace for fouing up. ( I can take things apart real easy, and often get them back together without having too many parts left over in my hand.)

Any help with detailed instructions or cautions would be great.
Thanks
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Some contact cleaner may help.. but it can also be tough on plastic. Changing the switches may be the right thing to do. It's something you should be able to do yourself, but hey, it's your decision. I'd bet there are some folks in your area who could help.

If you are good at it, you could put a drop of solder on the contact. That would help make contact. But that's a "last ditch effort".

If it were me, I'd change the switches out.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Joel,
If the red light on the cruise switch is not coming on then most likely the cam that operates it has worn. An easy fix is to open up the switch module and shim up the cruise switch by placing 2-3 layers of electrical tape under the switch. The switches are round and just push into the holder. While you're in there try cleaning out any out the horn switch mechanism on the back side.
If you need a switch assembly try beemerboneyard, the classified ads here, or E-bay.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:00 am

How do you get the switch module off the handlebars? There is a screw somewhere that I can't find and I don't want to force it. Any hints from anyone?

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had a similar problem with my RT, the spring that keeps the rocker switch on the side had worn through, and I gasped when the dealership told me I had to buy a $90 cable and replacement SET of switches when all I needed was a double-micro switch that probably costs a quarter. I ended up fixing the problem with the spring from a cheap $.15 retracting pen that I cut down with wire cutters and twisted the end of.

Worth a shot before you drop a hundred bucks...

PS, heed the advice above, that contact cleaner wreaks havoc on plastic, and heaven help you if you get any on your paint...lay a couple layers of rags on your paint before starting and wipe off any excess from plastic surfaces too

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 7:24 am

My personal experience with contact cleaner is that it is a temporary fix at best. It seems to attract dirt and leads to more and more frequent use. YMMV.

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in