Newbie asking; Pre trip things to - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Newbie asking; Pre trip things to

Ok sage K-Riders,

Iím going to ride my new to me K-LT back to California from Pittsburg next month. While I performed a oil change, going to have a new rear tire installed the existing Metzeler is at 70%, but worried about putting on another 4k miles on it.

What other things should I be looking at?

She is a 2000 with just 26k on the clock.

She had a 24k service @ BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan and a brake and clutch fluid flush.

Iíve just changed all the oils again @26k.

Pulling off the charcoal canister next weekend and will service the shifting linkage at that time.

Iíd like to leave the brake lines on until getting back home, and then change out as I do not have much of an area out here to work on this beast at.

Just installed a new battery, the one in there was 5 years old, still started well. But I like to start ownership with a new one, for peace of mind.

All in all it runs great, shifts well, clutch is velvety smooth, starts well, gets great gas mileage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all that post excellent evaluations of products and tips on this stellar machine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 12:58 pm

Garage
Re: Newbie asking; Pre trip things to

Other than what you have done, I would check to see if the fuel line connectors have been replaced with metal or bypassed. see here: http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service...ck-disconnects
You may also want to replace the fuel filter and the in-tank fuel lines, these are a known weak spot. http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service...-filter-change
As for the ride, I just finished a long ride and would suggest some kind of hwy pegs, back rest and a cramp-buster.
Hwy pegs really help give you the ability to stretch and have one more spot for your feet/legs. The back rest is a life saver, before i got one I had bad burning and soreness in my upper back, with it, it was a nice ride, no pain. Cramp-Busters save your hands. Cruise control is a wonderful thing and I used it a lot, but you can not always use it. Through the corners of I-90 in Idaho I needed to be able to moderate the speed for many miles, the cramp buster made that possible.
Other than that, pack for any weather and have fun.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

+1 with OldMopars.

Mick-O-Pegs do it for me on the highway per part. Ridden with the J Pegs and for my 28" inseam that didn't work. the MOP's do it for me on two LT's.

The Back-Up back rest is well made. It will fit all years of LT's and you can lean back and press into it hard as you want without it bending. Not so on the el' cheapo eBay ones.

On the cramp buster... the Electronic Cruise Control does that for me. I ride with it on all the time that traffic conditions and road conditions warrant. On mine, each click up or down on the cruise button gives me about 1.5 mph more or less if you click down. I have had cruise on my last 4 street bikes and couldn't ride again without it.

Not that I'm always looking for a flat tire, but they do and have happened to me. I carry a small compressor and the adapter to plug it into the LT's power ports. Also carry the necessary kit to plug the tires and a good tire gauge. All that goes into a dry bag that goes into the left saddle bag along with the LT's half cover and the tool bag that I had to put together because BMW is too chap spend the $90 bucks to put tools in them in the last 5 years.

I'd suggest a tank bag. Stuff is right there mostly and you don't have to stop on the side of the road for every little thing The RKA has worked on two LT's for me. Same bag and it hasn't scratched the tank as it has a very soft underbelly. I remove it and clean under it and on the tank as needed. It has two levels for storage and also clips on the sides for things and a removable clear map case on top. Meds, eye drops along with other personal small necessaties fit in to underside of the top case in a mesh net. I keep an additional key there also. Pens and note pad as when you are this old on trips you can't remember things. On the bottom section I keep a large bottle of Mt.Dew and for me gives me a little punch later in the day if needed. I keep a folder towel in there for hot weather and under the towel a Uncle Mikes holster that houses the .380 just for security. The upper section of the bag has a camera and room for other things. If you don't take it with you, you probably are going to need it. I also keep a couple of very small cans of spray for my visor and pull down sunshade and a soft cloth for that in a outer pocked on the bag

I always have my Garmin 660 on the bike. I have maps too but the Garmin gives me the freedom to search for gas and food on the fly and to change the route as needed, and it's always been less than successful folding and unfolding a map at highway speeds for me.

I carry and use the necessary adapter to plug in a regular car type charger for the call phone and keep that in the upper part of the tank bag to charge while running. My phone seems to need that more on trips.

So that is a few other things that I have added to the LT and also take with me on trips.

On the 99' LT I have had for 3 years I've put a little over 47,xxx miles on that and on the 2007 and will be a year on 8/1/14 I have almost 14,5xx on it.

Man it's fun spending your money for you.

If you are traveling single on your trip you can make good usage with a read seat bag. I use a T-Bags Backseater that sits there. Straps on the bottom and top make it very easy to attach to the luggage rack. I put small hooks on the black piece between the saddlebag handle and the edge of the passenger seat to look straps through. The Backseater has a built in rain cover that will putt out and cover it and also hidden straps to make it a back pack if needed. Carries enough stuff for long trip. Took me around the US on a 27 state tour and made packing pretty easy . My left saddle bag was for emergency gear and bike cover and rain gear along with bike polish and towels. Right bag was used for extra pair of water proof boots and snow pants and heavy sweaters, and the trunk was mostly free to hold my jacket and helmet. I kept extra fuses and the MOA book in the the pocked behind the map light in the top of the trunk.

Have great fun on your trip and keep us posted of your progress.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Waaaaaay good information!

Ok, for tools, yes I stocked up with a tubeless patch kit and Co2 cartridges, full set of 1/4 drive sockets, torx bits, flashlight/batteries, allen wrenches, extra screw drivers, cutters, needle-nosed pliers, full set of combination wrenches.
This way I can disassemble most of the exterior of the beast and work on a lot of her.

The backrest idea is a solid one, something that has overshadowed my mind, I will give this a high priority! Highway pegs I will look into also.

I bought the GW rack with bag, will install this in the next week. Got a GPS, I'm good there. Bought a new Sena for myself and my passenger, so bluetooth communications will be ever present.

We intend to make this great trip, from Pittsburg to the black hills, Rushmore, Glacer, Yellowstone, Tetons, Salt Lake, Oregon, back to Kali-forn-i-a...

This kind of adventure is the kind of thing I bought this big spectacular machine for, and for many years to come. As we have loved to travel by motorcycle for many years, whether on dual-sports, or burning miles seeing what has not been seen by us on the numerous road bikes.....

Thanks again for your sage wisdom, keep it coming!
M

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 8:09 pm

M - Good on you for getting it together this soon.

I would suggest at least doubling up on the CO2 as I've seen it posted that it takes more to fill up our tires to the recommended pressure.

Going 2 up with luggage + as I see you are... Tire pressure is a must at 42 front and 48 rear for your safety.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #6 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, I should bring more than 4, good call...

I've read about tire pressures, and intend to abide by them for those german donuts.
The role I've been performing out here will end around the first of the year, and I want to get the beast home to the west coast prior to the bad weather hits the east coast. So yes, this is kind of a hurried up trip, but that's what makes it fun!
Adventures are what spurs most of us forward.

I've been riding for over 48 years, and have logged more than a few on motorcycles. And have always tried to be prepared.
I've raced motorcycles all my life, turned pro in 1977, and retired from that in 1993. Still need to ride, weekly if I can. Yet I treat the new big beast in the same reverence I treated my old TZ750...

Cheers. M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
M - Good on you for getting it together this soon.

I would suggest at least doubling up on the CO2 as I've seen it posted that it takes more to fill up our tires to the recommended pressure.

Going 2 up with luggage + as I see you are... Tire pressure is a must at 42 front and 48 rear for your safety.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 9:05 pm

I got a rear Metz with 2K on it if you need one.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the thought!

I'm going to measure the depth of the donut I got on the rear this week, as I think it was run a little under pressured for 2.5k + miles, as it's starting to flatten out. Honestly I've never run a heavy duty tire such as this, so I'm not too well versed on how long they will last, with proper pressure. And I got a few miles to travel.

But I'll PM you in a couple of days! Thanks kindly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I got a rear Metz with 2K on it if you need one.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 10:44 pm

A couple packages of "Goodys Arthritis and Body Pain" powders.

I don't know what they put in that stuff but...sure helps with the aches and pains associated with long stretches in the saddle.

Friends know the song in your heart, and can sing it to you when you have forgotten the words.
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBevans View Post
Thanks for the thought!

I'm going to measure the depth of the donut I got on the rear this week, as I think it was run a little under pressured for 2.5k + miles, as it's starting to flatten out. Honestly I've never run a heavy duty tire such as this, so I'm not too well versed on how long they will last, with proper pressure. And I got a few miles to travel.

But I'll PM you in a couple of days! Thanks kindly!
If it has started to flatten out, better watch it close because she will wear out quickly from this point. Good luck on your journey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in