Intermittent flashing brake failure light - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 6:02 am Thread Starter

Intermittent flashing brake failure light

During the week I rode my 2005 bike for the first time for 3 months, it started and ran perfectly, as I approached my destination about 30 miles from home, the brake failure light started flashing. The brakes felt fine, I continued to my destination slowly with the light flashing. Left the bike for about 2 hours, rode off and the light went out as normal, rode home the long way, about 50 miles, everything was fine, just as I entered my drive the brake failure light started flashing again, I donít know if I imagined it or not but the brakes felt odd. Left the bike until yesterday, rode off and the light went off as normal, rode a good 50 miles and did a few hard stops, everything was perfect, no flashing light!

Just to give some brief history, I have owned the bike from new, itís been serviced by BMW from new, last brake fluid change July 2012, it doesnít get used much as I am away for several months at a time. New (BMW dealer supplied) battery fitted when bike last used in March, the battery has been connected to an OptiMate battery conditioner so I am confident the battery is ok, checked front and rear brake fluid levels and both ok. This is the first fault with the bike from new!

I called my local BMW dealer who said it was probably the ABS actuator, cost of part alone £1,500, gulp! Before I take the bike to the dealer and part with a small fortune, does anyone have any clues or suggestions please? I have researched the (excellent and informative) site and fear that the BMW dealer may be correct

Am I right in thinking the bike is ďsafeĒ to ride carefully with the brake failure light flashing, do I just lose ABS, or do I lose servo assistance as well?

Many thanks in anticipation

Regards, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 7:45 am

Re: Intermittent flashing brake failure light

Many have had this issue. First check the brake fluid level in both reservoirs. If its the same as the 2002 its under the seat on the right side. If its just "little" low the lights will come on.
Let us know, Im sure we get this fixed without going to a dealer who as already ASSUMED
almost 2000$ USD repairs.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 8:05 am

Yup. What Zeke says.

Slightly low of brake fluid level.

B D R

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 9:37 am

Unlike the 2002-2004 models (USA market), the 2005-2009 models have the 2 sections reservoirs embedded on top of the ABS modulator. These are the ONLY fluid reservoir monitored by the system - this where you need to fill the DOT4 brake fluid to avoid certain faults. Keep in mind that some faults sequence (warning on dash) are not related to low fluid level.

See 1st attached picture where the yellow arrows are pointing.

Hold the vent hose of each cap with one hand while you use a HEX key (8 mm allen) to turn each black plastic cap. Watch for a small rubber seal (or O-ring) under each cap that may stick to the modulator unit (instead of the cap).

Fluid level can be made full, but normally it is proportionate to wear of the pads - max level under cap when brake pads are new. Otherwise, next time you compress caliper piston to remove wheel, there will be a bit of overflow in vent hose. Min level should be reached ONLY when brake pads are very thin (unless there is a leak somewhere).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_IABS-Modulator_in_frame_Reservoir-CAPS (2005-2009).jpg
Views:	936
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	60882   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_IABS-modulator_FLUID_LEVEL (2005-2009).jpg
Views:	424
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	60890  

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny View Post
Yup. What Zeke says.

Slightly low of brake fluid level.
+1

However, on your bike you will find the reservoirs on the ABS unit, IIRC. A PITA to get to, but not difficult. A string, preferably with a piece of hose on the end, is a great way to put the fluid where you want, and not where you do not.

DAMHIK.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 10:15 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The 2005 and up were also not as sensitive to fluid level as the earlier bikes. Usually if you are getting the slow wig wag of the warning lights then one set of your brake pads is nearing the end of its useful life.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 5:33 am

You may have it sorted by now - I've only just seen the thread, but I had this about 10k miles ago on my 2005 Lux.

I too was warned about all kinds of expensive damage, but it turned out to be nothing more than a wire in the rear cluster that had chafed on a metal fitting and worn through some of the insulation. A really cheap one to fix, once the problem had been found. Make sure you get it done thoroughly and systematically!

Tom

Maidstone,
England

Deepest Black 2008 K1200LT Lux
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2014, 7:29 am

I have a GS911 for diagnosing if you are near Peterborough. My post code is PE10 if that helps.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in