One of the coolest things. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

One of the coolest things.

Just got back from an early evening ride with my bride and I have to say that there many things about this motorcycle that I really like. One of the neatest is the electric windshield! Didn't think it would be that big of a deal but I like being able to adjust the windshield depending on what kind of riding I am doing. Just awesome!

Ken
El Paso Texas

2007 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:38 pm

Re: One of the coolest things.

Gotta say that I really like that ability too. Moving slow in town, drop it right down and get the wind in the face (with the visor up), get out on the road at speed and slide it up until the wind is just rolling off the top of the helmet. No, I don't wear a full face helmet, I wear a 3/4 helmet in an XXL, I guess I have a swelled head 'cause I can't even get most XXL full face helmets on my head, and wearing glasses doesn't make that any easier, although if I had detachable ears I could get more of them on!.

Try adjusting the little wings under the mirrors if you want more or less airflow around your lower body, they make quite a big difference too.

Current Bike:
2006 BMW K1200LT purchased June 2014, and loving this thing so far!
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:58 pm

Always point this out as my favorite function as well. It saved my life once when I rode though an area near a creek in the morning. The shield instantly glazed over from the sudden change in humidity and temp. I quickly hit the button and moved it all the way down and out of my line of sight. On a Goldwing, I would have been leaning hard to the side to look around the shield as I found a way to the curb until I could wipe off the condensation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Garage

I agree 100%, my Goldwing I hated the screen, it would fog over, get rained on and not clear, etc. On my LT I got caught in the rain, just moved it down out of the way and closed the visor on my helmet, pressed on with the ride. I love it.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Yup - agree with this thread whole heartedly. I use the adjustment on the shield every time I tide, and many times each ride. It's something you don't realize until you have one.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 4:40 pm

Yep. Mine is usually either all the way up when my wife is riding with me, or all the way down when we're riding through a town or I'm riding alone. It's a very cool feature.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 4:48 pm

Talking Re: One of the coolest things.

Yep, I too use it many times every ride. I just bump it up until I have no ear wind noise. Love it!!!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in