Rough Running LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Rough Running LT

I have a recently purchased 2003 K1200LTC with 9.3K miles on it. While decelerating or maintaining constant throttle at low RPMs (~2500 or less), the bike sputters and makes a gurgling sound...like it is missing. Hard acceleration and high RPM cruising is fine. I certainly do not feel this is right and am looking for feedback of this condition and/or solution.

I am a long-term rider but first time BMW owner so I am not familiar with the nuances of the big K12 yet. I'm thinking engine mapping, fouled plug or ??

Please help!

Jon
2003 K1200LTC
2004 VStrom 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 8:42 pm

I'll bet you one of the four vacuum hoses at the fuel intake behind the rail has come off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Rough Running LT

Grif,

Thanks for the reply. Where is the "rail" you are referring to for the vacuum line(s)? I am taking the bike to the dealer I bought it from so a tech can ride it tomorrow; I'd like to mention this to him.

I've also gotten the "that's the way they are" story too from others, and I don't buy it. This is a big classy machine and people expect a smooth running bike for this price. And so do I.

I'm sure it's an easy fix once I identify the culprit.

Jon
2003 K1200LT
2004 VStrom 1000

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Getting the throttle butterflies balanced is crucial. Katie's symptoms were low tickover speed, bogging down when pulling away and high fuel consumption above 3,500 rpm. My dealer replaced the throttle bank as one butterfly wouldn't close properly and it's totally transformed the bike. The symptoms emerged very slowly, over about 10k miles, so it can be hard to spot until it's unignorable (if you know what I mean). Either way, I'd say the first place to look is the air intake system.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #5 of 13 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'll bet you one of the four vacuum hoses at the fuel intake behind the rail has come off.
When I bought my new 2003 LT it ran fine for about a week, then started running rough, like you describe. I took it back to the dealer who found that it was one of the vacuum hoses that slipped off. He said it was pretty common. He put it back on and I haven't had a problem since.
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 6:56 am

Left side of the engine, above the heads, behind the fuel rail and on the throttle bodies. Ya can't miss them!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Rough Running LT

Thanks,

Looks like I'll have to take the left/lower side tupperware off to see it. I took the bike to the dealer today and had two different techs ride it; both said it was fine. I guess I should accept this, but I still feel it has a bit of a miss and gurgle to it. They both said that if a vacuum line had come off, I would notice a more appreciable rise and drop in idle speeds and rougher running.

Still think I'm going to go ride the demo this weekend to satisfy my need to know that my bike is not unique in this situation.

Jon
Seattle, Wa
2003 K1200LTC
2004 VStrom 1000
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 1:47 pm

Re: Rough Running LT

I bought a K1200LT 07 with 38K miles. Rode it 2.5 hours home. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, except when pulling away it bogs. Even to the point of cutting out. If I ease out the clutch and don't give it much gas it works without too much bogging.
I have run seafoam through it, reset the tps, run 93 octane gas. I also notice a fair amount of chatter over 2k rpms. cruising at 2k no chatter. I think this is preignition but not sure. had a service manager ride it. told me pinging, no big deal.....???
any thoughts?
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 2:19 pm

Just a thought, given that this 8 to 9 year old bike has less than 10k miles on it, there must have been a lot of sitting around time, in a garage or what ever...Do you think a critter may have gotten in and nested in the air intake system somewhere? Maybe cobwebs?? Might pull the plastic and check

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Just a thought, given that this 8 to 9 year old bike has less than 10k miles on it, there must have been a lot of sitting around time, in a garage or what ever...Do you think a critter may have gotten in and nested in the air intake system somewhere? Maybe cobwebs?? Might pull the plastic and check
It was only 2 years old at the time. This thread is 6 years old.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwarre
I bought a K1200LT 07 with 38K miles. Rode it 2.5 hours home. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, except when pulling away it bogs. Even to the point of cutting out. If I ease out the clutch and don't give it much gas it works without too much bogging.
I have run seafoam through it, reset the tps, run 93 octane gas. I also notice a fair amount of chatter over 2k rpms. cruising at 2k no chatter. I think this is preignition but not sure. had a service manager ride it. told me pinging, no big deal.....???
any thoughts?
Welcome! Maybe start a new thread as this one is pretty old. Did bike come with any service records?

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 6:18 am

Mine was running in a similar manner.(2000LT). I checked just about everything there was to check. Turned out to be a dirty fuel injector. Cleaned the the injectors up. After that she ran like the day I bought it.

2012 K1600GT - Red

2011 R1200RT
2000K1200LTC - Champagne
1984 Yamaha Venture
1975 Honda 750
1973 Honda 750
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 8:50 pm

what did you do to clean the fuel injectors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in