Fuel Filter HELP :) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Filter HELP :)

I think I might have put my new fuel filter in backwards. I forgot to pay attention to which way the arrow was pointing when I took the old one off. I put it in with the arrow pointing away from the fuel pump. 'Zat wrong (cuz now she won't start).

I figure it's either that I screwed up the fuel filter, reconnected the fuel lines incorrectly, or forgot to plug something back in.

TIA,
-- Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:08 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Arrow should face towards the U shaped hose. Just did this on Roger's bike. Me thinks you may have forgotten to re-connect the wires.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:09 pm

You pretty well covered the possible problems. The only thing now is to take it back off and see what might be the problem. Be sure and check the electrical connections also.
That just Sucks! to have to do it all over.

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Okay, so I pulled it all apart again. There are 2 fuel line connectors and I decided that there's no way physically possible to get these connected wrong. I have the fuel filter in correctly. There are 5 electrical connectors on the bottom of the tank, 2 pairs of which fit together and one that doesn't appear to connect to anything.

The sensor wire at the top of the tank is connected.

When I turn on the key, I can hear the fuel pump bringing the system up to pressure. All my indicators light up per normal, and the starter turns. The engine, however, doesn't start.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look at? Should I be able to start the bike without the stingray hooked up? (I would think so.) I also have the seat off and the seat heater wire isn't connected. Didn't think that would be a problem either.

Please help, I'm very frustrated. I have the Paul Sayegh videos, and if I had to I guess I could speed through the video to see if I have everything connected right...
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 6:33 am

Check your KILL SWITCH!!

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman
There are 5 electrical connectors on the bottom of the tank, 2 pairs of which fit together and one that doesn't appear to connect to anything.
The one that doesn't appear to connect to anything is for adding an extra power socket, like the one on the left side. You sure you didn't mix that one up with the fuel pump wires?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The one that doesn't appear to connect to anything is for adding an extra power socket, like the one on the left side. You sure you didn't mix that one up with the fuel pump wires?
That's a good suggestion. Also, check to make sure you aren't in reverse!!
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:59 am

Another thought, don't reuse OEM clamps. You might have installed the filter, only to have one of the hoses blow off. That can be a real bear on the side of the road, in the middle of the night, with sideways rain in BFE.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

got fuel???

Maybe it is a silly question but I need to ask the obvious... Did you put the fuel back in the tank when you were done?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #10 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Another thought, don't reuse OEM clamps. You might have installed the filter, only to have one of the hoses blow off. That can be a real bear on the side of the road, in the middle of the night, with sideways rain in BFE.
You get the cigar, Grif. That's exactly what happened. I pulled out the pump assembly and the hose opposite the pump had blown off. Worse, the hose clamp is nowhere to be found. I hope that having a loose hose clamp rattling around in my fuel tank isn't a problem, because I'm sure as heck not going fishing for it.

Anyone see a problem with me replacing the OEM hose clamps with the little screw-to-tighten types you can get at Autozone? My understanding is that you need a special hose clamp tool to do the OEM ones, and I ain't got one.

-- Rob
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Smile

Quote:
Anyone see a problem with me replacing the OEM hose clamps with the little screw-to-tighten types you can get at Autozone

That is exactly what you should do. Just don't overtighten them and damage the hose.

Good Luck!

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Quote:
You get the cigar, Grif.
-- Rob
Kewl! What kind of ceegar?

-=grif=-

Grok
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Kewl! What kind of ceegar?
If you're open to suggestions, how 'bout a Rocky Patel? PM me your snail mail addy and I'll fire one off atcha. The bike's back together again, and running, so I'm a happy Beemerphile.

Rob Allen

2001 BMW K1200LTC "BatGirl"
2005 Suzuki DR200 Dual Sport - currently blowed up

Be strong enough to stand firm when you're right,
Be humble enough to admit when you're wrong,
And be wise enough to know the difference.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in