New Owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

New Owner

I apologize in advance for this post, but I've done a brief search and can't find the answer to these easy questions. I just purchased an '03 LT today and am trying to get it figured out and squared away for a 2000 mile trip next week. An owners manual did not come with the bike. I will get one but it will take some time. My questions are;
1. On the way home tonight, the yellow/red light with the triangle and ! started flahing. What could this potentially mean?
2. How the heck do you get it in reverse?
3. What tire pressures should I be running?
4. What is the proper technique for checking the oil and what weight oil should I be using?
5. Does it require premium fuel?

If anyone could answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike
Dandridge, TN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forum. Scroll down for the answers in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajavet
I apologize in advance for this post, but I've done a brief search and can't find the answer to these easy questions. I just purchased an '03 LT today and am trying to get it figured out and squared away for a 2000 mile trip next week. An owners manual did not come with the bike. I will get one but it will take some time. My questions are;

1. On the way home tonight, the yellow/red light with the triangle and ! started flahing. What could this potentially mean?
- Typically, this means that your brake fluid in the rear reservoir is low. happens with mine when it's just an ounce or two low...doesn't take much.

2. How the heck do you get it in reverse?
- Put the bike in Neutral, reach down and turn the know to Reverse, press and hold the starter button. It's just that simple.

3. What tire pressures should I be running?
48psi (rear), 42 psi (front). Checked when COLD...of course.

4. What is the proper technique for checking the oil and what weight oil should I be using?
Put the bike on it's centerstand and let the oil settle for a bit. View sight glass on right side. FWIW, very few LT's actually use any oil between oil changes. 15W50

Use the lowest octane fuel that you can without pinging. When I'm on a long trip, I often use 87 as I'm just riding tank to tank on the superslab. When in town or in the twisties, I bump it up to the 89 stuff. I never use premium in my '02, as it doesn't seem to make one bit of difference.

HTH
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for responding to my "simple" questions. Do you check the oil when the bike is warmed up? This is my third BMW, but my first flying brick. Also, what type of brake fluid does it require?
Thanks for the info.

Mike

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:09 pm

It can be warm...but just make sure all the oil has settled.

ONLY DOT4, nothing else. Any brand though. Just so it's DOT4.
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 6:46 am

Am I missing something Joe? Never heard of DOT 4 engine oil only break fluid.

I use 15/50 synthetic engine oil.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #6 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 6:47 am

Just a reminder ... BOTH the front and rear brake reservoir are located underneath the right side of the passenger seat and are both housed in a single unit with TWO refill caps. The reservoir on the right handle bar is for the servo system and is best left alone until you've read the proper way of refilling it.

Hope this helps....
post #7 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksailor
Am I missing something Joe? Never heard of DOT 4 engine oil only break fluid.

I use 15/50 synthetic engine oil.
Bajavet asked me what type of brake fluid, thus the DOT 4 comment.

Engine oil: During warranty = BMW 15W50; Post warranty = Repsol 15W50. Like all of my bikes. Change it often!
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:04 am

About reverse....sometimes you gotta rock the big girl forward or backward an inch or two to let the reverser engage. I was clueless to how this worked until I saw a cut away transmission and engine at Bob's BMW open house and it is all very simple. The bike must be in nuetral, shift into reverse and hit the start button. DO NOT attempt any sharp turns in reverse or you will join the club! And we all know what club that is!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #9 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:45 am

Also on reverse, maybe obvious, but it wasn't to me. The engine has to be running, then when you push the start putton that engages the gear somehow. I was afraid to hit the starter button with the engine already running until someone showed me that was how it was done.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #10 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
I agree with Joe with the exception of the fuel grade... only because I live in California and I cut the brown wire, and the temp in Summer is often in the 90s and above... hence pinging occurs. Lower grade is OK in winter when the temp goes down to the 60s.... Brrrr! and then I also need to wear long sleeve t-shirts! I still brave the foul weather and ride all year round (and I have the T-shirt to prove it. Thanks Raffy! )

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
The engine has to be running, then when you push the start putton that engages the gear somehow.
Technically speaking...turning the Reverse Knob is what "engages the gear". Pressing the starter button is what drives that gear. Yes, believe it or not, the starter motor is the driving force behind the reverse gear. When moving backward, you are being driven by an electric motor.

Also a point to note. If you try going too far or up too steep of an incline for the starter motor...it is perfectly normal for the motor to stop if it is over-heating. I've never experienced this, but some have.
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 12:10 pm

Exclamation Yikeserzzz!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
I agree with Joe with the exception of the fuel grade... only because I live in California and I cut the brown wire, and the temp in Summer is often in the 90s and above... hence pinging occurs.
You can't make that statement to a new guy without explaining what "the brown wire" is. I thought I learnt you better than that!
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 3:21 pm

"60's" is not cold....

Just about a dollar extra to always use premium; to me not worth just trying to save a dollar.......

COLD WEATHER IN THE 60S??????....I ride year round also; my lowest temp ridden to work this year was 14 DEGREES. I only take the gas hog when there is the threat of frozen stuff on the road. I am sure some of the more northern guys will beat my low, though.

Enjoy the new ride....
post #14 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for all of the great information. I'm learning fast. So far I've been able to correct all of the problems and am getting things figured out. Next tasks are a comm system, tank bag and a rack bag.

Mike
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringplay
COLD WEATHER IN THE 60S??????....I ride year round also; my lowest temp ridden to work this year was 14 DEGREES. I only take the gas hog when there is the threat of frozen stuff on the road. I am sure some of the more northern guys will beat my low, though.
Brrrrrr??? Or maybe I am just trying to make the northerners jealous...!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You can't make that statement to a new guy without explaining what "the brown wire" is. I thought I learnt you better than that!
Are you still in front of the computer??? I thought I told you to go have a nice birthday and a good ride...!!!
Happy Birthday Joe!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #17 of 19 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Are you still in front of the computer??? I thought I told you to go have a nice birthday and a good ride...!!!
Happy Birthday Joe!!!
I was away from the computer from 4pm until 11pm. But truth be told, I spent the entire day with the wife and two kids. Oh...and I bought myself a DQ Birthday Cake and took it over our friend's house. Big fun! (The cake read: "Happy Birthday to ME!")
post #18 of 19 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 6:31 am Thread Starter

One more very basic but important question for you all right now. Are the brakes integrated (linked) on the '03 LT? I'm taking off in the am for about a 2500 mile trip to Northern Michigan. I'll let you know how I liked it. It can't possibly be as good as my GS.

Mike
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 19 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 6:50 am

Quote:
One more very basic but important question for you all right now. Are the brakes integrated (linked) on the '03 LT? I'm taking off in the am for about a 2500 mile trip to Northern Michigan. I'll let you know how I liked it. It can't possibly be as good as my GS.

Mike
Dandridge, TN
They are not integrated or linked . . . they're "integral". Here's the rule of thumb for LTs: If the caliper reads "BMW", they're integral ABS brakes. (And you'll be amazed at how intuitive they are!) If the caliper reads 'Brembo", they are only ABS...not integral.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in