99 fuel tank removal questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

99 fuel tank removal questions

okay I've got the bike stripped down to the tank and just realized on the older (99) models there is no quick disconnect. What's the right method to clamp or plug the lines and keep them from dumping gas everywhere? Anybody have any on-line instructions anywhere.

Replacing the starter relay and this is the first time to take the tank off.

Any help on the older model would be appreciated.

Jim Beard
Waxahachie, TX
K1200LT
BMWMOA
Naturally Beemers
IBA #10293
SS1000
BBG1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeard
okay I've got the bike stripped down to the tank and just realized on the older (99) models there is no quick disconnect. What's the right method to clamp or plug the lines and keep them from dumping gas everywhere? Anybody have any on-line instructions anywhere.

Jim Beard
Waxahachie, TX
K1200LT
BMWMOA
Naturally Beemers
IBA #10293
SS1000
BBG1500
Hey, Jim --- I think Grif told me that before he installed quick-disconnects, he used a coupla pennies 'tween the jaws of some vise grips to strangle the fuel lines.

While you're doing that work, nowz a good time to install some QDs. AND, change the fuel filter while you have the tank off (I guess depending on what kinda mileage you have, butt the model year and first time the tank has been off - I'd change it. AND the air filter too, unless your dealer has been doing those services).
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Cool 99 fuel cell removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeard

Jim Beard
Waxahachie, TX
K1200LT
BMWMOA
Naturally Beemers
IBA #10293
SS1000
BBG1500
G'day Jim,
Ahhhh the first time the fuel cell gets pulled off huh??? I remember it well.....well "almost"........

I think I cut one fuel clamp say on the supply line (doesn't matter which though) which meant when I pulled that particular line apart the plastic connector stayed with the hose part that was still clamped. On the other fuel line, say the return, I cut off the opposite clamp so that the plastic connetor stayed with the other clamped hose line,,,,,meaning that when the fuel cell was removed, the two lines from the fuel pump, one would have a clamped and plastic connector on the hose whilst the other would not. This entails easy re install as impossible to get wrong. You just need to get some fuel hose screw clamps to replace those crimped units you cut off.

As far as blocking off the fuel line to stop fuel escaping I always plan this job with only a couple of litres left in the tank. I do have a "standby hose" with either a plastic connector fitted or no plastic connector fitted (depending upon which line clamp/plastic connector you left on the fuel cell fuel lines) and then either clamp/plug this dummy line, or allow fuel to drain into a suitable receptacle by means of your standby hose. If you are gonna do the fuel filter, drain the tank...it's easier/safer to manhandle without fuel in it.

Make sure you don't lose either of the two rubber washers/spacers that are located on the underneath part of the fuel cell where two allen head screws secure the cell to the frame....These little beggars jump outta there at the drop of a hat (once the fuel cell is removed) and you don't realize this until you want to put the allen head screws back in.

Change the fuel filter and air filter at this same opportunity if you can. I mark the large fuel pump nut with a drop of "whiteout" typo correctional fluid so that I can see how tight the nut has to be when I re install.

The air filter is a no brainer.

On replacing the fuel cell I spray the locating pegs at the front of the bike where the fuel cell slips onto with a WD40 spray....makes life easier.

cheers

Phill
78XS1100E "The Tardis" (ret)
99K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:14 am

Checker

auto supply sells a set of fuel line clamps. A wing nut tightens a bar that goes across the line and pinches it. Handy things. Then install the Quick disconnects.
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:16 am

You should be able to pull the tank and place it on something next to the bike, or at least pull it back far enough to get to everything. With all the talk about the disconnects, I would just leave the lines as is.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in