Finally went south....crown bearing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Smile Finally went south....crown bearing

Well it finally happened......the imfamous crown braring went south. I first noticed the bike was really shaking on the center stand and that when I checked the air in the rear tire, it was getting hard to turn it. I mean that turning it was not smooth. It would go around maybe 1 time and stop. But it sounded like the rear rotor and the dragging disk pad (EBC). Well, I am up in San Jose now and was in a quandry as to go back to Irvine or not. I had noticed also on the wat to San Jose, the gas mileage was dropping from ~47-50 down to ~40-42. Again I thought it was the rotor drag.

I had called Pete at San Jose BMW for the 48k modified service, valve check, radiator flush, clutch flush, and brake flush. I have done all the other fluids and filters before I left. I asked Willie, the tech, to check the rotor and he showed me after removing the tire, the rotor was fine and there was rubber on top of the drive shaft and weeping all over the rear drive. The tire had been rubbing against the shatf housing for some time which could be part of the reason the fuel mileage is going down. We looked at the gear oil and no significant amounts of metal shavings. He cleaned out the rear drive and put in regular BMW gear oil.....I asked if he put in synthetic and he said no. He said it made no difference and that after 600 miles I could go back to synthetic. Is this correct? Why can't we put synthetic from the start?

Since I was far away from home, I decided to change the crown bearing for preventive measures along with putting on new rear brake pads. He checked the valves and all were within spec. I asked if they were on the tight side or the loose side......he said the were within spec! Did not take more than 15 minutes...which I thought a little unusual. How long does it take to check the valves anyway?

I guess the best thing out of this is that I did not have a catastraphic failure which would have really been expensive. I asked about warranty, goodwill....out of luck...over 3 years...and have 54,876 miles...But they did say I was covered for two years on parts and labor. Maybe I can get home without a new failure.

Botton line for me was I have kept with this board and have kept a keen watch...just waiting....and it finally happened...but you guys gave me the knowledge as to what to look for and the sympyoms.

Thansk to everyone who has posted on rear failures.

OKU

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:18 pm

If all the Tupperware was already off I suppose a good tech good check the valves in 15 or so minutes. There isn't much to it
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKUIII
Did not take more than 15 minutes...which I thought a little unusual. How long does it take to check the valves anyway?
Only takes me about 15 minutes when I've got all the tupperware off and that includes filling out the valve spec sheet to keep with my other paperwork. YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in