Switched power source - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Switched power source

I know this question has been asked and answered but I couldn't find it when I searched so I have to ask...

I'm looking for a power source near the battery that is switched by the ignition key and is off when the key is completely off, not just in the accessory position.

TIA

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
El Cerrito, (Northern) CA
'15 GTL-E in White
'09 LT in Blk "Weave II" 120k miles before it was totaled
'00 LTC+ in CR "Weave" 240k miles before it was totaled
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 8:24 pm

The rear seat-heater lead. IIRC, it's the bottom wire of that connector. I voltage meter can verify that for you.

HTH
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Not the heated seat...

Joe - The heated seat power feed is ON when the bike is ON and OFF when the bike is in the accessory position.

What I was looking for was a power source that is ON when the bike is in the accessory position and OFF when the key was turned completely OFF (as in locking the handlebars).

For others also interested in this question, last weekend I did some poking around with a volt meter and found that the radio fuse (starboard side, bottom fuse) does not have power when the handlebars are locked but does have power at all other times. There are two violet wires in the harness coming out of that fuse block; one is straight power and the other is fused power.

I've used this power source to install a relay that controls power to my two Blue Sea fuse blocks.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:13 am

BMW makes a plug-in jumper lead that can be connected to the power outlet at the top box. That outlet functions as you want (disconnected when the key is in the lock position). I use one to provide power to my XM radio.

It is available from your Dealer and costs, I believe, less than $10.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
BMW makes a plug-in jumper lead that can be connected to the power outlet at the top box. That outlet functions as you want (disconnected when the key is in the lock position). I use one to provide power to my XM radio.

It is available from your Dealer and costs, I believe, less than $10.
Interesting. You wouldn't happen to have the part number?

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcommuter
For others also interested in this question, last weekend I did some poking around with a volt meter and found that the radio fuse (starboard side, bottom fuse) does not have power when the handlebars are locked but does have power at all other times. There are two violet wires in the harness coming out of that fuse block; one is straight power and the other is fused power.

I've used this power source to install a relay that controls power to my two Blue Sea fuse blocks.Cheers!
Bob;
Great information. Can you share where you bought your Relay and Blue Sea block?

Thanks
Mark
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Interesting. You wouldn't happen to have the part number?
Bob204bc was kind enough to provide the part number (below), and I purchased the adapter today. Attached are the photos of what it looks like and where it plugs into the passenger power outlet (left side of bike). You will need to remove the trunk to get to a screw on the bottom of the gray plastic piece, but that only took a few minutes.

The cable works great and provides power while in Accessory or ON position. I know I could have "cut" into another wire, but for only $23 this connection is a much cleaner solution.

Note: I cut off the factory end and spliced a wire directly to my Blue Sea power box.

The pics did not upload in the order I selected:
The pic on the far right shows the Power Outlet before adding the cable.
The pic on the far left shows the addition of the cable.
The pic in the middle is of the connector.

P/N 61132316621
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001532.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	670.5 KB
ID:	5002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001536.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	760.1 KB
ID:	5003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001537.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	770.0 KB
ID:	5004  
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 1:44 am

Hi Bob (and others),

sorry for my late interruption but I'm just curious to hear what is the idea behind this? I mean wanting to have the power ON also in the accessory position.

According to my logic this means that in order to protect the battery been drained by add-on gadgets the ignition key has to be turned in the lock position every time. Even in your garage...And if you are working on your bike and would like to listen to the radio the radio works OK, but so all your other gadgets are powered as well and thus you will be draining your battery faster.

Once again, pardon me if I have misunderstood something here.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius
Hyvinkää, Finland[
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite
Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Hi Bob (and others),

sorry for my late interruption but I'm just curious to hear what is the idea behind this? I mean wanting to have the power ON also in the accessory position.

According to my logic this means that in order to protect the battery been drained by add-on gadgets the ignition key has to be turned in the lock position every time. Even in your garage...And if you are working on your bike and would like to listen to the radio the radio works OK, but so all your other gadgets are powered as well and thus you will be draining your battery faster.

Once again, pardon me if I have misunderstood something here.

Regards
Ari;
You are correct about "other gadgets" being on when not in the locked position. I am not sure thier is a one size fits all awnser here. Maybe a master switch for all gadgets independent of the key.

I often leave my key in the ACC position (not locked) for a few hours and never had any battery problems (so far). However, my 2006 will auto shut-off after awhile if the key is left in the ACC postion to protect the battery. This happended yestereday when I was making my modifications listed above. I do not know the exact time, but it seems to be around 30 mintues, I have to turn the key on and then back to ACC to listen to the radio again for 30 minutes or so.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Power drain by other gadgets...

Pozo - Having power switched at the accessory position doesn't really effect most of my farkels. The only power drain I will have is my volt meter (digital LED) and power adaptor for my Ipod (1 small LED). The power requirements for these are minimal and I can leave my bike in accessory mode for several days without any negative consequences.

The rest of my farkels, Valentine, CB radio, GPS, etc. are all controlled separately through the power supply from the BMW ComSystem.

So when I do leave my bike completely off for a week or more (rarely) I can turn it to accessory mode and see the available voltage before I try to start it.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS

post #11 of 11 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
Bob;
Great information. Can you share where you bought your Relay and Blue Sea block?

Thanks
Mark
The 30 amp relay I just picked up at a local auto supply store (they all carry them) and the Blue Sea fuse block I bought on line. Just do a search for "Blue Sea" and then hunt around for the best price.

Cheers!

Bob Bacon
'15 GTL-E in White
MOA IBA HDDC CRS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in