In-Tank fuel hose replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 6:38 am Thread Starter

In-Tank fuel hose replacement

My '05 is approaching the 10 years mark and I'm wanting to stave off any age related failure of the EFI hose inside the fuel tank. I replaced the fuel filter at 30,000 Kms and the hose all looked & felt fine, but I'd rather change the hose when I take the plastic off for other maintenance in the near future.
Has anyone had experience with Euro Motoelectrics fuel hose kits ? Stated as p/n 16 13 1 455 350/Enduralast and specified to meet SAE 30R10 for submersible fuel hoses (flouroelastomer with kevlar braiding) and including decent screw type EFI clamps. Opinions, alternatives etc ?

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 6:53 am

Re: In-Tank fuel hose replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis View Post
My '05 is approaching the 10 years mark and I'm wanting to stave off any age related failure of the EFI hose inside the fuel tank. I replaced the fuel filter at 30,000 Kms and the hose all looked & felt fine, but I'd rather change the hose when I take the plastic off for other maintenance in the near future.
Has anyone had experience with Euro Motoelectrics fuel hose kits ? Stated as p/n 16 13 1 455 350/Enduralast and specified to meet SAE 30R10 for submersible fuel hoses (flouroelastomer with kevlar braiding) and including decent screw type EFI clamps. Opinions, alternatives etc ?
I'm wondering the same thing. I asked my stealer to order the Euro Motoelectrics hose (I like to throw them a bone once in a while because they are in fact a very good stealer as stealers go) and they are trying to steer me to use the BMW hose. I told them this is a superior product and is the hose material BMW should have used from all I have read on the subject. I also asked them to order the all metal quick disconnects. What manufacturers disconnects are best fit for the LT.
post #3 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 7:13 am Thread Starter

I used the metal QD's from Beemer Boneyard and they seem to be good, but you need to be careful in fitting them as they take up all the avaiable space. I think others have found the Jiffy-Tite QD's to be slightly more compact, maybe a little more up-market product, but I'm happy with mine. The plastic OEM units failed the first time I tried to disconnect them.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280

post #4 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 7:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I am all for superior or even comparable aftermarket parts, but given that these hoses can leave you stranded with no warning and are a pain to get to for a roadside repair, I plan to stay with the OEM parts.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 7:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. I asked my stealer to order the Euro Motoelectrics hose (I like to throw them a bone once in a while because they are in fact a very good stealer as stealers go) and they are trying to steer me to use the BMW hose. I told them this is a superior product and is the hose material BMW should have used from all I have read on the subject. I also asked them to order the all metal quick disconnects. What manufacturers disconnects are best fit for the LT.
Jiffy Tite from RPW.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 7:46 am

Quote:
I did order a set for my K1200RS and it is now sitting in garage to be installed. There is no rush yet and I may wait until winter when bike is parked to do these jobs.

Hoses do not look very strong or thick compare to BMW material, but we have to keep in mind it is a very different type of hose material and composition. I noted that inside diameter looks a bit less than 8mm and I had to apply a bit more force to install over a spare fuel-filter I had.

Many Aprilia, Ducati use a similar hose. Also, the newer BMW slant-4 engine (K1200S, K1300S, K1300GT from 2005) now use a similar hose, but different color.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #7 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 12:33 pm

I have the JiffyTite from RPW and am VERY pleased with them.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 12:42 pm

I just replaced my 06 LT in tank hoses with OEM. Heard some members here had problems with the aftermarket hoses or the "DIY" fuel hoses purchased locally. YMMV

Just an FYI, mine failed and left me stranded along I-20 outside of Atlanta, GA 1.5 months ago.

Sammy
post #9 of 33 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 11:50 pm

Has anyone used the hoses that Beemerboneyard sells? They claim they are suitable for in the tank.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #10 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211 View Post
I have the JiffyTite from RPW and am VERY pleased with them.
Are we talking connectors or fuel hose? I hadn't noticed fuel lines on RPW by JiffyTite. Interested in all thes options because replacing fuel lines is also on my upcoming maintenance list.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C
post #11 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 11:13 am

Replaced my tank hose last month with FP- HOSE KIT from EUROMOTOELECTRICS. When I did my research that seamed the best way to go. www euromotoelectrics.com
post #12 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 2:04 pm

I get my fuel hose for inside the fuel tank from NAPA.

You have to get a fuel proof hose that is made to be immersed in the gasoline. But over time the gas still attacks the hose causing it to breakdown with perforations through the walls of the hose.

Cost is about $20-$25 dollars.
post #13 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 3:45 pm

I would get the OEM curved one but the straight one would be alright from NAPA and the OEM clamps that you sqeeze together by the way Karl what did you do for the curved hose

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #14 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 4:27 pm

I just talked to the owner of my local BMW dealership, who also is a pretty good wrench and was working the service desk today when I stopped in to schedule my 24K service. I showed him the Enduralast nylon fuel line spec from Euromotoelectrics and he said the product is very good. He said most of the European bike and car manufactures now use this 100% nylon hose for both submersible & external fuel injection systems. He said most American cars and trucks use it especially for in tank and external fuel filters. He said the 100% nylon has a much longer service life submersed in E85 fuel than any product out there. He did say the other hybrid submersible hoses will work but you have to change out every 5 or 6 years to have peace of mind. He said you should get 10+ years easily with the Nylon. Curious if anyone else can confirm this info?
post #15 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

I received my hoses (2 sets x 2 hoses) a couple of days ago. 10 days for postage ex US, very good service. The steel clamps for the hose look very good, screw type with a square nut captive in the clamp and a tail extending to give 100% clamping around the full circle. With the hose material being thinner and less able to compress, it will be important to correctly position the clamps and also to lubricate the clamp screw with oil. I've seen others attempt to tighten dry clamps and much of the applied torque on the screw is lost to friction, clamp appears tight when in fact the screw thread is tight and binding.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #16 of 33 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Hi Gary, I just curved it when I mounted it. I checked it to make sure it wasn't compressing at the curve. Also you can get the fuel filter at NAPA also. I believe that I got this info from the video on the BMW Motorrad Club of Northern Illinois website
The club pres also tells you where to get the air filter....It is a MANN air filter and it looks exactly like the OEM from BMW without BMW sticker.

http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service...-filter-change.

I have put 4K miles on my LT since I changed out the Fuel filter and hose in the gas tank...

Runs fine.
At the recommendation of this thread, I did look at the Euro Nylon hose.. I think it might be less expensive than the NAPA hose which doesn't have the ribbed section to handle the curve better. Next time I will change out to the Nylon hose. It looks better suited to our needs.
post #17 of 33 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 1:47 pm

When you replaced your hoses on your fuel filter with the enduralast kit what did you use as a short hose. The kit I have from them has two flex hoses approx 10.5" in length. I see how the lower side U shaped hose goes on, but what did you use or do for the small short hose from the fuel pump to the filter.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #18 of 33 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 10:12 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
I received my hoses (2 sets x 2 hoses) a couple of days ago. 10 days for postage ex US, very good service. The steel clamps for the hose look very good, screw type with a square nut captive in the clamp and a tail extending to give 100% clamping around the full circle. With the hose material being thinner and less able to compress, it will be important to correctly position the clamps and also to lubricate the clamp screw with oil. I've seen others attempt to tighten dry clamps and much of the applied torque on the screw is lost to friction, clamp appears tight when in fact the screw thread is tight and binding.
Hi Dennis, let us know how it goes and maybe a couple of pics of the final setup before it goes in with any special instructions... might be a little group buy up this way for the next change will be in order!
cheers :-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #19 of 33 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

No problem Chris, I needed to buy 2 sets to reach the minimum order $ figure. As for the straight hose section, I might sacrafice 1 piece for that as well. I'll probably change the hoses out in the next few weeks, based on age only (10 years now). Fuel filter was replaced 2 years (15,000 Kms ago).

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
post #20 of 33 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 7:13 am

I have seen them on ebay from the same shop 19.50$ 3.95 shipping. No minimum purchase

2009 BMW K1200LT "Shelly"

2002 Honda VT1100 Sabre Sold
1979 Harley Davidson FXEF 1340 Sold
1975 Norton 850 Commando Sold
post #21 of 33 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Why would someone replace crappy BMW hose with crappy BMW hose which will eventually degrade and fail.

Use this stuff. http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW...fp-hosekit.htm

The kit comes with enough hose to do two fuel line change outs on the pump assembly, if you have two bikes. Or if you have a friend with a BMW K1200LT, R1150RT or similar bike you can split the cost if $13.00 is to much for you to spend.

You cut off most of the straight ends of the hose and use one of those cut pieces to replace the short semi straight piece on the pump assembly.

If you want the OEM style hose clamps to use with the above hose, in the right size you can get them here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=171159503041

BMW wants $58.65 for the two hose pieces. The above kit cost $13.00

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #22 of 33 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajasteve View Post
When you replaced your hoses on your fuel filter with the enduralast kit what did you use as a short hose. The kit I have from them has two flex hoses approx 10.5" in length. I see how the lower side U shaped hose goes on, but what did you use or do for the small short hose from the fuel pump to the filter.
I received my Enduralast hose kit today. The kit is a universal kit which fits many BMW models as well as several other European bikes. The instructions say to cut 1.5" off each end of one of the hoses for the curved piece then you can cut a straight section from the second hose in the kit for the short piece. I showed the hose to the owner of the BMW dealer and said it sure looks thin but he assured me that the nylon is very strong (rated at 220psi) and will hold up immersed in the E85 longer then the hybrid combination rubber immersible hoses that are available. I guess we will see. I also looked at the hose clamps that came with the hose kit to see if they were made in China but they said Sweden on them. Is Sweden good at making anything other than Swedish Fish Candy?
My Jiffy-tite QD's also arrived and they are very compact, lite and well manufactured. Aircraft aluminum, stainless, brass with Fluorocarbon seals which supposedly never need replacing. Once my spiegler brake lines arrive there will be nothing left to brake.
post #23 of 33 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 9:59 pm
Super Moderator

Used Beemer Boneyard QDs on my 2002 LT and put Jiffy-tite on my 2009 LT - prefer the Jiffy-tites:

- smaller (biggest reason for selecting them)
- lighter
- anodized aluminum
- appear to be higher quality for the application
- high cost

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #24 of 33 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 10:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
Why would someone replace crappy BMW hose with crappy BMW hose which will eventually degrade and fail.

Use this stuff. http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW...fp-hosekit.htm

The kit comes with enough hose to do two fuel line change outs on the pump assembly, if you have two bikes. Or if you have a friend with a BMW K1200LT, R1150RT or similar bike you can split the cost if $13.00 is to much for you to spend.

You cut off most of the straight ends of the hose and use one of those cut pieces to replace the short semi straight piece on the pump assembly.

If you want the OEM style hose clamps to use with the above hose, in the right size you can get them here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=171159503041

BMW wants $58.65 for the two hose pieces. The above kit cost $13.00
How do you know this is better? Have you used this style hose for 10+ years? I would like to see some solid evidence that it really is better.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 2:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Howhttp://www.apriliagenuineparts.co.uk/images/components/image-2777.png do you know this is better? Have you used this style hose for 10+ years? I would like to see some solid evidence that it really is better.
I have to agree with you on the Enduralast hose. I have been checking internet and can't find much on the usage of this particular product. The damn hose just looks so thin. I'm now debating using a set of new BMW fuel hoses or buying good submersible hose and using that. I'll keep asking mechanic friends and searching the net and then decide which way to go.

Found this on Aprilla Blog. Fuel hose looks very similar to Enduralast. See item 1 and 11

http://www.apriliagenuineparts.co.uk...image-2777.png

I also found this on the Ducati blog, The hose again appears to be similar. I have read where many European bikes use this in tank hose.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-m...l-line-recall/

Last edited by norton; Aug 7th, 2014 at 2:41 am. Reason: Added urls
post #26 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 2:28 am

I used this NAPA, PART NUMBER H209 1' ft for $24 Gates submersible hose. Check out this link.
http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media...ble%20hose.pdf

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #27 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 2:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
I used this NAPA, PART NUMBER H209 1' ft for $24 Gates submersible hose. Check out this link.
http://www.napabeltshose.com/~/media...ble%20hose.pdf
Yes this hose looks good and might end up being my back up plan. Did it tend to kink when you bent it for the 180 degree hose. I saw it has a working pressure of 100psi and bursting pressure of 500psi. That should be good but I'm not sure what pressure the LT generates does anyone know?
post #28 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 5:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have to agree with you on the Enduralast hose. I have been checking internet and can't find much on the usage of this particular product. The damn hose just looks so thin. I'm now debating using a set of new BMW fuel hoses or buying good submersible hose and using that. I'll keep asking mechanic friends and searching the net and then decide which way to go.

Found this on Aprilla Blog. Fuel hose looks very similar to Enduralast. See item 1 and 11

http://www.apriliagenuineparts.co.uk...image-2777.png

I also found this on the Ducati blog, The hose again appears to be similar. I have read where many European bikes use this in tank hose.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ducati-m...l-line-recall/
I'm not saying it isn't better, I would just like to see some evidence.

The Ducati pictures are interesting as it seems to show a short conventional hose as well as the corrugated hose. If the corrugated material was better, why not use it throughout?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #29 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 10:28 am

Quote:
I'm not saying it isn't better, I would just like to see some evidence.

The Ducati pictures are interesting as it seems to show a short conventional hose as well as the corrugated hose. If the corrugated material was better, why not use it throughout?
I found that some Harleys use the corrugated nylon hose (it really should be better described as nylon plastic tubing than hose). I did read a good suggestion on a harley blog that said when you change your in tank filter to inspect the nylon corrugated tubing and as a precaution wrap a piece of split submersible hose around it to keep it from chaffing as sometimes it rubs on the inside of the tank. Well if you are going to wrap the nylon tube then just use the submersible rubber hose. I guess the only reason to use the Nylon is if it lasts a long time but you are in the tank often enough to change the filter so you can just change the hose every four or five years.

The other thing I found is that Doorman, a major auto parts manufacturer, supplies a wide selection of replacement nylon fuel system QD couplings, elbows and fuel filter QD's including nylon plastic tubing for the auto industries. So the thing I do not like about the Enduralast is the thin wall of the tubing and possible chaffing on the inside of the tank. Never having changed a fuel filter I'm not sure if the chaffing is a possibility in the LT tank.
I'm leaning toward the NAPA hose at least its got some beef to it.
post #30 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Quote:
How do you know this is better? Have you used this style hose for 10+ years? I would like to see some solid evidence that it really is better.
This type of hose has been in my Guzzi Norge's tank since 2007 and the hose still looks new when I changed out the fuel filter. This much I know with absolute certainty, the hose BMW put into both my R1150RT and K1200LT turned to crap within 9 years. My R1150RT left me stranded last year because one of those BMW hoses burst and the last time I changed out the fuel filter the same hose looked perfectly fine. On my K1200LT when I changed out the fuel filter the curved piece of BMW hose was all cracked and looked like it was falling apart. I will not give BMW any money for the same crap hoses, but it's your bike and your money so buy and install what you want.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #31 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 6:26 pm

I do not see what the big deal is to lets say change out your hoses with OEM hoses every 5 to 6 years I just feel a lot of guys including me will not get the right amount of clamp tightness on the nylon type hose there just is no beef there if no what I mean

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #32 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 9:43 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
I do not see what the big deal is to lets say change out your hoses with OEM hoses every 5 to 6 years I just feel a lot of guys including me will not get the right amount of clamp tightness on the nylon type hose there just is no beef there if no what I mean
+1

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #33 of 33 Old Aug 7th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Yes this hose looks good and might end up being my back up plan. Did it tend to kink when you bent it for the 180 degree hose. I saw it has a working pressure of 100psi and bursting pressure of 500psi. That should be good but I'm not sure what pressure the LT generates does anyone know?
The hose made the radius with ease. No kinks at all. The radius is not as tight as the formed BMW OEM but none the less it works. As for fuel pressure I am told it has a working pressure of 60 psi with a 100 psi shutoff. If the working pressure of the hose is a 100psi you can bet your boots it's good for working at 1-1/2 times with no probs. They derate the hose for CYA purposes. When we hydro pressure pipe for the oil patch we always go the one and a half over the designed working pressure to check for leaks, but burst pressure is a lot higher.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in