Check your shift linkage! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Check your shift linkage!

I know I am new here and that this is not a new idea. However I know that there are several new LT owners here and maybe it will help someone.
I had read about the issues with the linkage and so I pulled mine out and checked it. All of the foam seals were shot and fell off when I pulled the links off. All the sockets were bone dry and one of the balls, at the trans was loose, real loose.
In this condition I am betting that there would have been a break down soon and I am leaving for a 1000 mile Saddle Sore on Saturday.
I found a spark plug boot that was an extra from a set and I cut it into rings to replace the OEM foam seals. I figured the boots could handle the heat.
So, I saved myself a breakdown and if you have not checked yours recently you might want to.
Great How-To here: http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service...ge-maintenance
Anyway, thanks to all who contribute so much here, this is a great site and I know will save me $$$$ as I rack up the miles on this great bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 12:12 am
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Check your shift linkage!

Timely reminders never hurt!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 12:15 am

Re: Check your shift linkage!

Yes, they're a bitch to repair in a motel parking lot. Or so I've heard

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 3:40 am

I used clear plastic tubing cut to size to replace the foam. Has worked really well so far and its easily replaced.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 4:16 am

Thumbs up Re: Check your shift linkage!

I bought a 99 here in the UK 2 weeks ago, just some rattles and knocks sounds like the stand bonks against the stops at slow speed over a bump ... springs I think. I digress !
Your Item in the Linkage .... Is the next inspection Job, gear changing is ok ish but yes feels dry and unloved I think this will fix the problem of rough shifting, Also Im missing the aerial so an hidden one seems the best option apart from that, Just the very slow speed handling in traffic added some air to the tyres both a little low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
I know I am new here and that this is not a new idea. However I know that there are several new LT owners here and maybe it will help someone.
I had read about the issues with the linkage and so I pulled mine out and checked it. All of the foam seals were shot and fell off when I pulled the links off. All the sockets were bone dry and one of the balls, at the trans was loose, real loose.
In this condition I am betting that there would have been a break down soon and I am leaving for a 1000 mile Saddle Sore on Saturday.
I found a spark plug boot that was an extra from a set and I cut it into rings to replace the OEM foam seals. I figured the boots could handle the heat.
So, I saved myself a breakdown and if you have not checked yours recently you might want to.
Great How-To here: http://illinoisbmwriders.com/service...ge-maintenance
Anyway, thanks to all who contribute so much here, this is a great site and I know will save me $$$$ as I rack up the miles on this great bike.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 8:12 am

Recently my shifting started to get rough and the lever made rub marks on the lower fairing. I took the linkage out, the balls were all bone dry and the bolt holding the shift lever to the foot peg plate was loose. Two foam seals were missing and the other two were split. So I lubed it up and reassembled without the foam seals temporarily with the intent of ordering some. I know I have to take the linkage out again to replace the O2 sensor anyway. Maybe I'll just make some seals out of rubber hose instead. Thanks for that tip.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 3:37 pm
SEG

I replaced the stock linkage with a stronger version from Powergrid in MI. As of a few months ago they had an 8mm kit for the LT in stock.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbydog View Post
I bought a 99 here in the UK 2 weeks ago, just some rattles and knocks sounds like the stand bonks against the stops at slow speed over a bump ... springs I think. I digress !
What you described sounds like the dreaded cow bell noise caused by worn rivets holding the rear rotor. Test and see if you can wiggle the rotor with your fingers as it wold be the best clue. If so then replace with an EBC rotor (and new pads of course).

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in