Another Newbie checking in - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 11:00 pm Thread Starter

Another Newbie checking in

Well new here as I just bought a 2000 K1200lt last Friday and took it for a shakedown ride, 800 miles.

From Detroit up into Canada, down through Niagara Falls, into New York, and back to Pittsburg, where Iím temporarily working.
Fun little trip, I now know how easy it is to set cruise control and go, I enjoyed myself.

The K-bike is a departure from my 2003 Ducati ST4S, or my Ducati track bike, or my dual-sport bikes. It truly rounds out my stable. I think it will be in the garage for many years to come.

While I am not in love with the dark red or purple or whatever it supposed to be, it is a low mileage (25,000) mile old machine, got it for $4500, so it made it a slam-dunk for a long distance ride. The suspension is antiquated but works for what it is. I got caught in a rainstorm, still cruised well.

While it is complicated with all the Tupperware, but the maintenance is not a biggie for me as Iíve been living with Desmoís for 20 years.

I wanted to go for a R1200GS, but funding would not allow it. The K-bike is an excellent value for the dollar.

But overall, with much I've already read here, I am very pleased with this beast!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 11:38 pm

Re: Another Newbie checking in

Welcome to the site. Post a pic of your new bike when you get a minute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Welcome, I think Y2K is best! You will find this Forum the best resource available for all questions and support for your new LT.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 9:47 am Thread Starter

Here's a shot from last weekend.
The bike is really clean, yet there are a few things on my list;

1. Better seat, the OEM is kinda spongy
2. A rack for the rear box! As the bags do not hold all too much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	565.3 KB
ID:	60569  

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 9:58 am

Good choice for a touring bike and you got a good deal on it.
Keep up with the maintenance and the K1200LT will give you more enjoyable miles than the Ducati's ever gave you (other than the dirt trail flips ... don't try that with big Bertha).
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbobg View Post
Good choice for a touring bike and you got a good deal on it.
Keep up with the maintenance and the K1200LT will give you more enjoyable miles than the Ducati's ever gave you (other than the dirt trail flips ... don't try that with big Bertha).
Yeah my Duc is well sorted, and has provided me with over 30k miles trouble free, but 2-up gets tiring after a full day or two. As the driver on a ST4S carries the passenger side to side force somewhat on his shoulders, suspension wise Ohlins is hard to beat. and of course has much better power to weight ratio.

But I know that what the K-LT offers in power works for me, as I plan to bring this beast home later this summer accross the USA, with a passenger and it so far really shines on the long hauls.

Lol! Got off on a gravel road, maybe 60 feet worth. Heavy pucker factor, first gear and never touched the brakes to be on the safe side of life. Steady as she goes captain...

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Few more of my $4500.00 wonder. Sweet Beast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	60585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	60593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	836.9 KB
ID:	60601  

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Garage

Very nice, I just got a Y2K same color and all. I love it. You will enjoy the bike. Look into the goldwing rack, about $100 and is great, I have one. Search and you will find it. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the ride.
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Very nice, I just got a Y2K same color and all. I love it. You will enjoy the bike. Look into the goldwing rack, about $100 and is great, I have one. Search and you will find it. Anyway, welcome and enjoy the ride.
Too funny, well there are more of them out there than I would have thought for sale. Really nice Beast!
What model of Goldwing rack did you install? 1200/1500 or? Love to see a Pic of it installed.

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 3:07 pm

heres a post I did a few years back on the Goldwind rack from Wing stuff.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59993

Rack is still excellent, bag is the berries, no rust, no cracking, just a ton of storage!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 15th, 2014, 7:07 pm

I purchased the combo Goldwing rack / bag for less than $100 from www.wingstuff.com.

I thought that the legs were too long. I cut about an inch off each leg, drilled and re-tapped the holes before I installed it. It doesn't sit up so high now. Suits me fine.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBevans View Post
Well new here as I just bought a 2000 K1200lt last Friday and took it for a shakedown ride, 800 miles.

From Detroit up into Canada, down through Niagara Falls, into New York, and back to Pittsburg, where Iím temporarily working.
Fun little trip, I now know how easy it is to set cruise control and go, I enjoyed myself.

The K-bike is a departure from my 2003 Ducati ST4S, or my Ducati track bike, or my dual-sport bikes. It truly rounds out my stable. I think it will be in the garage for many years to come.

While I am not in love with the dark red or purple or whatever it supposed to be, it is a low mileage (25,000) mile old machine, got it for $4500, so it made it a slam-dunk for a long distance ride. The suspension is antiquated but works for what it is. I got caught in a rainstorm, still cruised well.

While it is complicated with all the Tupperware, but the maintenance is not a biggie for me as Iíve been living with Desmoís for 20 years.

I wanted to go for a R1200GS, but funding would not allow it. The K-bike is an excellent value for the dollar.

But overall, with much I've already read here, I am very pleased with this beast!

Cheers
Good Luck with your new ride and frequent this site as you will learn so much that makes LT owning and riding a pleasure.
post #13 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome and hope you enjoy many trouble free miles. Routine Maintenance and the help of folks on this site has been great for mine.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 12:04 pm

I have a rack that fits an HD. I bought from Paul Seyer (last name spelling is probably wrong) on this site. It works and looks very good.
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Garage

The only issue I have with the Goldwing rack is that the first owner who installed it must have used the heck out of it, the chrome is getting thin in a few spots, but no rust yet. I think the rack is at least 10 years old. Last guy had it for 6 years and he did not put it on.
The company I work for works with a local powder coater and he is going to powder coat the rack for me the same silver that is on the rest of the bike. My LT is the non-chrome version(and I love it).
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:33 pm

What a small world, hi mark. Shawn from aprilia forum, i just joined the LT ranks myself just over a month ago myself, in LOVE with this bike. Hopefully sea ya down road. Enjoy!!!!!

RIDE ON!
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
What a small world, hi mark. Shawn from aprilia forum, i just joined the LT ranks myself just over a month ago myself, in LOVE with this bike. Hopefully sea ya down road. Enjoy!!!!!

RIDE ON!
Crazy small, or we are very smart motorcycle owners! Too good!
Yeah, had to do it. Been using my Duc for the last 5 years for my long distance rides, prior to that I logged over 35k miles on a ZX12R with bags for my long road trips. And lots of other toys, prior... So now this biggie was a logical next ride...

Yet after riding a Big-Girl, had to buy one! This thing is great, going to be riding it from coast to coast in September, back to the land of dual-sports!

Sold the Aprilia last year to buy my Beta, gotta ride! Always!
See ya out there one of these days!

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I'm relatively new in these parts, 2 years, but it seems that we have a bunch of new owners lately....

Enjoy the Ride.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #19 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2014, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all that responded to my note about my 2000 K1200lt.
The trip was a success!

The "Beast" carried the load without issue. In a short 3862 miles i never took out the tool kit I assembled prior to leaving, other than keeping the tire gage close for daily checks.

I hit lots of weather on this trip, the rain no issue, the wind, well as most know that's a different story with this big bike, as with strong cross-winds she tries to jump out of your hands.

While honestly the big K1200LTC is a top-heavy beast when loaded, which left me for the first time in my life with motorcycles feeling vulnerable in 0-5mph maneuvers. There was a couple of "OH-Sh*T moments, but she never went over!!!

Product Eval;

Goldwing rack worked out real well, the bag was great, the rain cover blew off somewhere in Idaho . Really was worth $110.00!

Avon's Storms, worked smooth, quiet without any issue.

EBC brake pads bedded in quick, and gave great braking in all kinds of weather

HID headlight, best $55.00 spent so far!

Extra 5 & 12 volt outlets, nice

A cheapie Garmin Nuvi GPS that I stuck on with the suction cup was flawless in pouring rain, never played games even though it was getting soaked and it was not weather-proof!!, I kept waiting for it to explode!

Again thanks to all!!! Your sage advice was listened to, observed, followed, and the trip was good!

Current Stable
2016 R1200RT
2003 Ducati ST4S
2014 Beta 450RS
1985 Honda NS400R
post #20 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2014, 11:05 am

My first thought on your post. A good post, but I have had two LT's, a '99 which was the first year... and just passed on to my son in Athens GA about two weeks ago. Now I have a 2007 which came with Wilber's shocks.

They both handled so well that I got rid of my 2002 GL1800 for the '99. Now if you feel the suspension is antiquated, in my minds eye, something needs work or at least adjusting. You have some adjustment on the front shock and much more on the rear. Play with is and I think and hope you will have a little change of mind.

For just little side note. I rode the Dragon about 10 days ago on the 2007. I went up the Dragon first and was all by myself. I don't remember the time but it was much better than when I was on the the GL. Much better. I stopped to rest at Fontana Dam. I heard a couple of bikes coming around the lake and then they came by me. I fell in behind two crotch rockets. The smaller guy and bike in behind the two and in front of me. We left Fontana Dam and when we got into the twisties they got up to speed. After about 8 or 10 turns the guy in front of me wheeler around on this bike and I could see his eye through the full coverage helmet. He was thinking, 'How is that old fart still back there'. It was fun, but I was scraping the center stand, the pegs and even the tips of the Mick-O-Pegs. And I had about 3/8 of an inch of front tire that wasn't really scuffed. I was pushing it about as far as I could and would have done better if I had tightened up the rear suspension some before starting. But I was satisfied. Got some good pics from Kill Boy and 129 Photos. And I didn't really ride over my head. I stayed on my side of the road.

The Big Girl will do it if you push her. She likes 2nd and 3rd all the way around the Dragon. She likes high revs and really works up there and the engine braking and a little braking works.

Just my .02Ę from an old racer.
Ride Safe

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #21 of 21 Old Sep 6th, 2014, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
My first thought on your post. A good post, but I have had two LT's, a '99 which was the first year... and just passed on to my son in Athens GA about two weeks ago. Now I have a 2007 which came with Wilber's shocks.

They both handled so well that I got rid of my 2002 GL1800 for the '99. Now if you feel the suspension is antiquated, in my minds eye, something needs work or at least adjusting. You have some adjustment on the front shock and much more on the rear. Play with is and I think and hope you will have a little change of mind.

For just little side note. I rode the Dragon about 10 days ago on the 2007. I went up the Dragon first and was all by myself. I don't remember the time but it was much better than when I was on the the GL. Much better. I stopped to rest at Fontana Dam. I heard a couple of bikes coming around the lake and then they came by me. I fell in behind two crotch rockets. The smaller guy and bike in behind the two and in front of me. We left Fontana Dam and when we got into the twisties they got up to speed. After about 8 or 10 turns the guy in front of me wheeler around on this bike and I could see his eye through the full coverage helmet. He was thinking, 'How is that old fart still back there'. It was fun, but I was scraping the center stand, the pegs and even the tips of the Mick-O-Pegs. And I had about 3/8 of an inch of front tire that wasn't really scuffed. I was pushing it about as far as I could and would have done better if I had tightened up the rear suspension some before starting. But I was satisfied. Got some good pics from Kill Boy and 129 Photos. And I didn't really ride over my head. I stayed on my side of the road.

The Big Girl will do it if you push her. She likes 2nd and 3rd all the way around the Dragon. She likes high revs and really works up there and the engine braking and a little braking works.

Just my .02Ę from an old racer.
Ride Safe
Tommy,
Really wished I could have seen their face -AND- heard their comments after that ride. The fact that you are riding a big whale was their 1st reality check, but to top this off (and add insult to injury), if they learn that you are 76 years old ;-)

Glad you gave these "crotch rocket" punks a ride and something to talk about.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in