Fuel filter questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Fuel filter questions

Changed my fuel filter for the first time to a Napa Gold per recommendation and to save some money Two questions:
1. IS it OK to use the green hose clamps that came with the filter or do I need to get something different for this pressurized system? I really don't like the BMW crimp type of hose clamps.
2. Once I install the pump and fuel lines if I don't see any leaks after starting it up and running up to about 6k, should I be OK putting all the tuperware back on it? Is there any other test necessary to ensure it's leak free?
Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 3:23 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Fuel filter questions

That filter is not rated for fuel injection pressure nor does it have the correct micron number for fuel injection systems. I don't know what the clamps look like that come with the filter because I would never consider using that filter.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Just changed mine over to the Napa filter. The guy at Napa said the spring clamps are good for fuel injection. But I wasn't so sure so I bought the screw type fuel injection hose clamps. Napa filter came recommended from Beemer uses here in Canada with no ill effects. They have been using them for ages with no failures to pressure. At the same time I changed out the hoses with a Gates submersible hose after reading about the BMW hoses letting go and stranding you away form home.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer

post #4 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I put it all back together and drove it the other morning for a few blocks. Got to a light and saw some dripping on the right side so I pulled it apart but don't see any leaks when it is at idle or even when I rev it up. Should I worry or if there are no obvious leaks do I just put it up to some fluke? I'm concerned and a bit confused.
post #5 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Garage

leaks are never a fluke, and because it's fuel I would suggest double checking the sealing ring tension on the bottom and the qd's, would not want it to catch fire, where was the drip below the tank or in line with your bum, the are tank breather hoses back there.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Shouldn't be any dripping from any place if you have quick disconnects. My 00 didn't come with them.

i've seen reports of people replacing the stock quick disconnects with ones from Beemer bone yard because the LT ones are not a sturdy as they could be.

since its such a pain to replace the fuel filter I always use a BMW one; i've replaced the lines inside the gas tank to ones that are flex.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #7 of 34 Old Jul 13th, 2014, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Thank guys. I am going to pull everything apart again and double check the work and all the parts. I'm installing the metal disconnects and will make all the changes needed to be safe. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.
Tom
post #8 of 34 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 4:50 am

Garage

if you are changing all 4 qd's, do them opposite each other, then when you remove next time they can only go together one way.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 34 Old Jul 16th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Just changed mine over to the Napa filter. The guy at Napa said the spring clamps are good for fuel injection. But I wasn't so sure so I bought the screw type fuel injection hose clamps. Napa filter came recommended from Beemer uses here in Canada with no ill effects. They have been using them for ages with no failures to pressure. At the same time I changed out the hoses with a Gates submersible hose after reading about the BMW hoses letting go and stranding you away form home.
The "guy" at Napa is completely wrong about spring clamps, and if you are using a worm drive clamp they are just as bad since they chew into the hoses. You need to use fuel injection clamps. Period.

That filter is NOT rated for an LT for two reasons (as Dave stated above) micron size and fi pressure rating. Dave builds NASCAR engines - I THINK he knows what he's talking about.

No problems? Just luck... If you think the filters are expensive just WAIT until you have to pay for new throttle bodies It will blow your mind.

The BMW hose is submersible rated hose - nothing wrong with it at all except the cost you pay for a special bend. It's not going to strand you anymore than any other brand of submersible hose that's old and needs to be replaced. They don't last forever and most folks are seeing 10 years use before they wear out. That's amazing service life from a hose that is submerged in gasoline for that long...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 16th, 2014 at 10:01 pm.
post #10 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 8:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

While waiting on my new brakes lines to arrive (today, finally) I've done other maintenance including the fuel filter using a Mann MWK-44. The bike has 42K but not sure if the BMW filter was the original or not.

Note to any future 1st timer: You'll want an oil wrench that opens to at least 4-1/2" to get around the "nut" that holds the assembly in the tank.

Anyhow...the clamps. I reused the crimp clamps and did not replace the fuel line for two reasons but am starting to second-guess this. The tank is still on the garage floor, btw...nearly full, too (which was no big deal.)

1. I wasn't sure about using the screw clamps I bought since they would be immersed in gas. Didn't know if a special type was needed.

2. The existing fuel line (has a green stripe on it) looked to be in great shape. No signs of deterioration. Wasn't sure if the gas line I bought to replace it had to be a special "gas immersible" type. Of course, if I think about it, it's fine since gas would be inside the line...

Many of you guys scare the crap out of me when I think about the things that could leave me stranded. It makes me smarter, but some things can be over-thought.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #11 of 34 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 9:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Gasoline hose has an internal liner and an external layer. They are usually not the same material. If it's not submersion rated it will fail. It'll probably work for awhile, but..... IT WILL FAIL. With that said, the leak the OP had was likely from where the hose connected to the QD. My RT did the same thing when I replaced the QDs. It was leaking where the clamp went around the hose, but as the pressure built, the barb would slide towards the clamped surace and seal it. So you probably just need to tighten your hose clamp a little bit. And while I'm at it, the NAPA filter may be pressure rated for a throttle body FI system which is about 15 PSI. I can believe that. The LT runs at 51 PSI. I'm with Ron and Dave on this one.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Jul 17th, 2014 at 10:05 pm.
post #12 of 34 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wArt View Post
Anyhow...the clamps. I reused the crimp clamps and did not replace the fuel line for two reasons but am starting to second-guess this. The tank is still on the garage floor, btw...nearly full, too (which was no big deal.)

Many of you guys scare the crap out of me when I think about the things that could leave me stranded. It makes me smarter, but some things can be over-thought.
I re-used one of the crimp clamps one time replacing the filter and it lasted about 2500 miles before leaving me stranded. Fortunately only about 25 miles from home. I got in a hurry wanting to ride, and tried cutting a fat hog you know where and paid the price.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 2:40 pm

I am pretty sure the Napa/WIX filter is rated for 60 PSI. I will contact them to make sure. I have not heard of one bursting.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #14 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 4:18 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
I am pretty sure the Napa/WIX filter is rated for 60 PSI. I will contact them to make sure. I have not heard of one bursting.
NAPA filters are made by WIX. When I was looking for a replacement filter I could buy in a parts store I talked to our WIX representative (they are one of our sponsors) & he put me in touch with with an engineer at WIX. I gave him all the spects. for the LT & he got back with me & said they do not make a filter that would replace the factory Mahle fuel filter that BMW sells.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 34 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 7:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
NAPA filters are made by WIX. When I was looking for a replacement filter I could buy in a parts store I talked to our WIX representative (they are one of our sponsors) & he put me in touch with with an engineer at WIX. I gave him all the spects. for the LT & he got back with me & said they do not make a filter that would replace the factory Mahle fuel filter that BMW sells.
You aren't suggesting that an engineer at Wix knows more about Wix filters than do Beemer riders from Canada, are you?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #16 of 34 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:01 am

I just did my filter for the 1st time. Used OEM, I put a couple of gal back in before puting back on bike and I had a leak at the rubber seal. Glad I checked before reinstalling tank. You have to be careful when puting the fuel module back in and don't let it turn on you. Also it's a good ideal to mark retainer ring when removing.

Last edited by bmwriderm; Jul 21st, 2014 at 1:13 pm.
post #17 of 34 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 6:18 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm View Post
I just did my filter for the 1st time. Used OEM, I put a couple of gal back in before puting back on bike and I had a leak at the rubber seal. Glad I checked before reinstalling tank. You have to be careful when puting the fuel module back in and don't let it turn on you. Also it's a good ideal to mark retainer ring when removing.
There are already two arrows that need to be lined up with each other.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 34 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 2:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You aren't suggesting that an engineer at Wix knows more about Wix filters than do Beemer riders from Canada, are you?
Voyager, your reply insults Canadians. So let me ask you this If your mam and dad got divorced would they still be brother and sister?

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #19 of 34 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 3:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Voyager, your reply insults Canadians. So let me ask you this If your mam and dad got divorced would they still be brother and sister?
You either missed the point or are feigning having missed the point to have cover to attempt to make a personal attack.

The point was that anyone who would believe anecdotes rather than a bona fide expert in the subject at hand is delusional. Matters not the nationality of the source of the anecdote. I used Canadian Beemer riders only because that is what was mentioned in the earlier post. The point I was making was independent of the source of the anecdote.

Now, your insult, which was clearly intended to be a personal attack, does far more damage to the reputation of Canadians. Please, at least try to be a little bit creative in your next attempt and not just recycle old redneck jokes.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #20 of 34 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 6:13 am

Quote:
...and not just recycle old redneck jokes.
For us Europeans the "old redneck ones" are the best Please continue!

Born to be wild so why not

post #21 of 34 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 7:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
For us Europeans the "old redneck ones" are the best Please continue!
At least use some good material. Here's a hint: http://www.jefffoxworthy.com/jokes

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #22 of 34 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 9:29 am

Smile Re: Fuel filter questions

Quote:
You either missed the point or are feigning having missed the point to have cover to attempt to make a personal attack.

The point was that anyone who would believe anecdotes rather than a bona fide expert in the subject at hand is delusional. Matters not the nationality of the source of the anecdote. I used Canadian Beemer riders only because that is what was mentioned in the earlier post. The point I was making was independent of the source of the anecdote.

Now, your insult, which was clearly intended to be a personal attack, does far more damage to the reputation of Canadians. Please, at least try to be a little bit creative in your next attempt and not just recycle old redneck jokes.
Please, just Canucks from the west

I have never heard of any one using anything other than BMW fuel filter, our gas seems to be very clean around southern Ontario so I consider them life time or very high mileage, never hear of anyone change fuel filters on cars and the majority of cars around here are driven 30K a year

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #23 of 34 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45 View Post
Please, just Canucks from the west

I have never heard of any one using anything other than BMW fuel filter, our gas seems to be very clean around southern Ontario so I consider them life time or very high mileage, never hear of anyone change fuel filters on cars and the majority of cars around here are driven 30K a year
I almost cut mine open when I changed it at 24K. The air filter was like new and I suspect the fuel filter was also, but given the work to get to them, I will likely keep on changing them just to be on the safe side.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 34 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 9:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
There are already two arrows that need to be lined up with each other.
I was talking about marking the retainer as to tighten properly.
post #25 of 34 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 9:53 am

Quote:
I almost cut mine open when I changed it at 24K. The air filter was like new and I suspect the fuel filter was also, but given the work to get to them, I will likely keep on changing them just to be on the safe side.
Mine had 80k on it. I got bike at 20k and appears was changed once as had replacement clamps. I should have changed mine sooner as was barely able
to blow through it.
post #26 of 34 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 3:19 pm

Garage

To me this is easy, I looked up the RIGHT Mahle KL 145 filter and found it on Amazon.com for $17.66. This is what you would get if you went to BMW and paid a higher price. Its less that $20 and last a long time and is correct, seems like a no brainer.
post #27 of 34 Old Jul 24th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm View Post
I was talking about marking the retainer as to tighten properly.
Because the arrows are hard to see I made a couple of marks with white paint. Works great for my not-what-they-used-to-be eyes!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #28 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:21 am

Mahle KL 145 fuel filter is the direct replacement for the $40. BMW Part# 16 14 2 325 859 fuel filter. 5/16 inlet & outlet.
Available from Amazon for 18.98
I have the replacement clamps from BMW which are reusable & fairly reasonable although I know they can be had elsewhere too.
And No, the screw type mini clamps aren't acceptable in this application.
Cliff

Last edited by cnhudson; Aug 5th, 2014 at 12:45 am.
post #29 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhudson View Post
Mahle KL 145 fuel filter is the direct replacement for the $40. BMW Part# 16 14 2 325 859 fuel filter. 5/16 inlet & outlet.
Available from Amazon for 18.98
I have the replacement clamps from BMW which are reusable & fairly reasonable although I know they can be had elsewhere too.
And No, the screw type mini clamps aren't acceptable in this application.
Cliff
I couldn't find a pressure spec for this filter. It would be nice to confirm that.

And what reusable clamps do you have that aren't a screw type?

Ear clamps are not reusable.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #30 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Voyager that is the BMW factory fuel filter kl 145

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #31 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Garage

Yep, Mahle and MANN make the filters for BMW to BMW specs. If you don't mind the missing BMW logo you can save money and get the same filters, made to the same specs, by the same company as BMW. $20= piece of mind, save $10 and worry about it. I am cheap, but not that cheap. (or spend $40 and get the logo you will never see)
BTW we will gripe about a $20 fuel filter and go and spend $400 on a back rest, or $150 on a stupid cup holder, $300 on a set of lights.
Do what you want, I will go cheap in an area that won't leave me on the side of the road, thank you.
post #32 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 6:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Voyager that is the BMW factory fuel filter kl 145
It wasn't clear to me that it was the same filter. Oftentimes a maker will customize a product to a given customers specs. Sometimes the changes are not obvious. Does the BMW filter have Mahle KL 145 stamped on it? If not, how are you sure it is identical in all respects?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #33 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Well the first I got from the BMW dealer in GR and the next one I got from amazon they both have Mahle KL -145 printed right on the filter and half the price from amazon

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #34 of 34 Old Aug 5th, 2014, 8:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Well the first I got from the BMW dealer in GR and the next one I got from amazon they both have Mahle KL -145 printed right on the filter and half the price from amazon
That's good to know. Thanks.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in