Needed: One New Transmission! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Needed: One New Transmission!

NEEDED: ONE *NEW* TRANSMISSION!

Long story short, my bike is *STILL* on the rack at Reno BMW. The first transmission that was in the U.S. was delivered damaged two weeks ago.

I was told last Saturday 10/8/05 that Germany was out of LT transmissions. (Am I the only one that finds that strange?) I was told at that time, that one was being taken out of production. So I figured that in 10 days it would finally arrive and get installed. I could live that.

Just now 10/12/05, Sierra BMW's parts guy called and he said that BMW had not (at this time) taken one off the line. Now, he is talking about the 26th of October and that is only a possible not a definite.

Would somebody please tell me if they have any connections to get to someone who has the authority to have one pulled.

Mind you my bike has been out of service since AUGUST 24th, when it broke down on the second day of the Iron Butt Rally. My bike was towed in and got a new engine in Las Vegas, NV. I picked up the bike in Las Vegas two weeks ago and it made it as far as Reno, NV where it still sits today.

PLEASE contact me via PM let me know what I can do or if this is just normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 7:44 pm

See if they'll make the payments for the time it's been off the road.
post #3 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 8:15 pm

Talking

You could ask them if a K-GT tranny is available! An LT with a SIXTH gear - WOW!

Jason Spates
Keller, Tejas, Earth
'03 K1200LTC Impala Brown (RIP)

Driving a car is like watching TV and riding a motorcycle is like watching an IMAX, except with wind.

post #4 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

This could be a group tech session...

Yeah!
Good idea, we could just make it the bmwlt.com ROD-CYCLE.
With the luck I have been having it would surely void the warranty. BWAHAHAHA!
post #5 of 23 Old Oct 12th, 2005, 8:52 pm

Unhappy

Coni,

I find this really odd. In June I took my '99 in to Touring Sport in Greenville, SC for clutch replacement and when they separated the engine and transmission the primary shaft in the transmission was "flopping in the breeze" I chose a new tranny instead of rebuilding and they had it within two days. We were also able to confirm that it was a "99" with the taller 5th gear. I would suggest calling another dealer, maybe Touring Sport and see what they say about the availability of a tranny.

HTH

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
post #6 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 8:15 am

Needed: One new transmission

[QUOTE=black1200lt] NEEDED: ONE *NEW* TRANSMISSION!

Long story short, my bike is *STILL* on the rack at Reno BMW. The first transmission that was in the U.S. was delivered damaged two weeks ago.

Try Fred Rowland and the other "wreckers" if you are out of warrantee. About 1/2 price.
post #7 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

A guy on ebay has a used trans in "buy it now" section for k1200LT

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:14 am

Bummer

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Got to be frustrating! However, timing is everything. We're behind ya. Pete
post #9 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 9:40 am

That really sucks. I saw your bike last Friday while I was getting a new rear tire. It was just hanging from the rack with it's guts spilled out all over the place. Very disturbing sight. I hope they get you back on the road soon.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #10 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:13 am

Coni, I have connections at BMW MT. Olive parts division . They distribute motorcycle and auto parts. If the trans is not in the country I will have them search abroad. I will make contact Friday with BMW as I am not in the office today.
Pete
post #11 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Update On Transmission!!!

The stock number I need is 23007650007 it is for a 2001 K1200LT. The newer one will not work. The two that are in the warehouses in the USA are 2004 production for the newer bikes.

If you can find stock number 23007650007 I would love it!

I have been on the phone and on the computer since yesterday. I found that my *new* engine is a pre 2004 engine that will fit 99-04 bike. They thought about putting in the 05 engine but they were afraid that the motronic would not like it. I'm happy with that I think they did the right thing.

So, that being said I *cannot use the 05 transmissions*. I understand that there are two available in the USA but neither will work for my bike.

Bottom line is: I need stock number 23007650007 that is for a 2001 K1200LT which I have been told all morning only exists in Germany. It would be wonderful if someone with BMW who could give Germany permission to ship one to Sierra BMW before October 29th.

Needless to say we are looking for a new one. Pinnacle has already agreed to pay for this, so I do not want to put in a used one and go through this again.

Thank you all for any help. Let's hope with the stock number we can get this part located and delivered.
post #12 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 1:14 pm

I am surprised the '05 tranny will not fit the previous bikes. I know people have had dealers say that an '03 will not work in '99-'02 bikes, but the only difference was a change in 5th gear ratio, not a fit or function difference. I fact, if I still had my '01, and needed a tranny, I would love the lower fifth gear an '03 unit would give me.

Does anyone know of a difference in the '05 tranny that will keep it from being a replacement in an older bike, or is it a gear ratio change causing the part number to be different, and most dealers won't know that it can be used? That would be my bet, until informed otherwise.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Coni 0 Germany -4

The latest news is that Germany was contacted and they have 4 on backorder but no stock.

I asked Sierra to send out a request via the BMW Retail Net and hopefully we can pick one up from that.

Contacting every BMW nationwide is a good place to start, it would be great if one of the dealers had one just sitting there.

Like I have always said: If you are going to dream...dream BIG, or don't waste your time sleeping.
post #14 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 5:56 pm

I am almost positive that the later transmission is different ONLY in 5th gear ratio, and that if you install it you would probably like it. I know I would. I always thought 5th gear was just a little too "tall" for my tastes.

I looked at the parts lists, and the only difference in parts in the transmissions is the intermediate shaft and one sliding gear, which is more proof that the only change is the 5th gear ratio. There is no difference in any other part number of the entire transmission assembly. It would install exactly the same, the only difference you would ever notice is a small increase in engine RPM in 5th gear only. If it was my bike, that is what I would do, and be happy to get the slightly lower 5th gear. Possibly slightly lower fuel mileage at high speed, but a little snappier 5th gear performance.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #15 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 6:00 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

maybe this will help

Coni:

I had Tim the Service Manager at A&S, do some research for you and the rest of us.

Here is what he found. If your bike was built after January 2001, then the '02-'05 tranny will fit. Apparently there was a change mid year '01.

So tranny ending with the last three digits in 405 will fit anything built after January 2001 (read February 2001). Anything prior to that will need the number you posted (ending in 007).

Let's hope your bike was one of those last in first out type deals and has a build date past January 2001.

HTH,

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #16 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 6:14 pm

The dealers are all full of Parrots! They look at the ETK/fisch, and see the date reference, but have no idea what was changed so assume you "cannot use it".

Yes, there was a change, to 5th gear ratio! That was announced by BMW as something to make the bike more "sporty" in 5th gear. Nothing that will prevent one from being used in a prior bike.

Look at the complete transmission parts breakdown in the ETK, Realoem, MaxBMW, or whatever, and you see that the only parts differences in the transmission assembly are to the intermediate shaft and one sliding gear, consistent with the announced 5th gear ratio, nothing else is different. All the other part numbers for the entire tranny are the same. housings and all. The later tranny should bolt in with no issue whatsoever, but you will see a little higher engine RPM in 5th gear, which to me is a GOOD thing.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #17 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

part # 23007677941 11/2000 up to 01/04

David,

I have talked to four different BMW dealers today that cannot find part # 23007677941 11/2000 up to 01/04 on their BMW system.

I found it on realOEM.com and even walked three of them through it and had them find it there. They are wondering if it is a German part number.

Everyone I have talked to thought it sounded like it would work if they could find it.
post #18 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Sadly, mine had a Production Date of:October 2000.
post #19 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 7:41 pm

Too bad. Seemed to be a couple of choices, but good old BMW has stuck it to us again.

Maybe I will buy a Ural next time.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #20 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 8:08 pm

I still say that the latest part number will work just fine. There have been no individual part number changes in the assembly since 11/00 according to the parts callouts in the ETK. That would lead me to believe that the tranny has not changed in anyway, other than part number (BMW sometimes does this on car parts, for no evident reason) since 11/00 manuf. date.

Strange indeed.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:45 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Too bad. Seemed to be a couple of choices, but good old BMW has stuck it to us again.

Maybe I will buy a Ural next time.
Go for the Ural, David. Two year unlimited milage warranty. YOU could really get some use out of that. Heck, the president of the company even logs on to the Web Board, which they provide, to answer questions. He even came to a RTE up in the Northwet. A much simpler bike than the LT, but they stand behind their product and are very upfront about the problems.

BTW, a rear end is about 200 bucks.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:11 pm

Coni, my BMW guy called while I was out to lunch . He left message said he has the part . This could mean at his warehouse or found in canada either war I will find out at 3 pm est. I will shoot you a mail around 3 pm.
Pete Murray
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

WoW !

That could be some really good news.

I'm not going to leave this computer until I hear.

Thanks,
Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in